Mass Effect Movie Will Have a New Storyline

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
So they'll be using the "grab-a-crappy-story-use-the-name" strategy...

Seems like I'll be passing this one, sadly. Maybe rent it someday.

Cheers!

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I hate video game movies. They never make them as the game was. ME was successful because of the story so why change it? It basically is already a movie with enough plot in it, so all you need is real people and done...easiest movie ever. Damn you Super Mario Bros and Street Fighter for your crappy remakes. I've been waiting for years for a Zelda movie, but they'd probably mess that one up as well.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Vardion[/nom]There's plenty of room to fit a movie in the Commander Shepard timeline. What happened between ME1 and 2? There was a time gap there, I don't think he was sitting doing nothing. What were the events that got him noticed by the Spectres in the first place? Maybe an origin story. I'd be quite happy NOT watching a movie with a cut down version of a story I've played through repeatedly. Same problem as with trying to make a movie out of a book.[/citation]

Shepard was dead for two years between ME1 and ME2. That should explain the gap.

G

i just want me3 the game im soo hooked up i wanna play it already! tired of waiting! once i get it im missin college and work haha

G

Randy Orton for Commander John Shepard! Seriously. Dude looks super similar.

falconer13

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Could be a movie about the Skyllian Blitz, so a prequel, in other words. That could be cool. Really though, the ME Universe is so mind bogglingly vast and well woven that there could be a movie about any major conflict point and it could still be good. But I would like to see a movie about the Skyllian Blitz, or the events leading to the end of the First Contact War. I don't think Shepard was around for the FCW though.

And Daft Punk is the perfect choice for the sound track. I wanted to play ME2 after I saw Tron because of the music.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Mass Effect Movie Will Have a New Storyline"

translation , Mass effect movie is going to suck.

so what if they are workign with bioware , the guys at running with scissors worked closely with uwe boll on the Postal , movie ,and you know what as funny as it was it still sucked.

change the story equals suckage period.

this is one thing that the resident evil movies did good in the start (they blew it on the second movie introducing game chars into thier story arch) , they didn't change the story in teh first movie , just told a different person's story in that same "world" that actually occured before the first game did . any time and every time some one changes the story going from game to movie it has always sucked either you stick to the story or get new cahracters adn tell a differnt person's story in that established world. This alone is why MS has on and off canceled Halo movie plans , they want the movie to stick to the established story not change shit around.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Honestly I think they SHOULD ignore the story from the games. Going through multiple media outlets should not be a way to tell the same story, but rather, expand upon the universe as a whole. I'd find it more interesting if it wasn't about Shepard. Also, it becomes more convoluted seeing as Shepard in the game was a customizable figure, despite the default look. And then, when you HAVE a default look, for any character, and voices, you run into the trouble where fans are unsettled because that's not what they saw in the game. So instead, in my opinion, they'd have better luck working together with the writers of the game to tell a new story somewhere else in the universe, maybe a different time as well. That's just me though.[/citation]

that's what i'm talking about , though not so much ignore the story , perhaps have it occur but focus the movie on different characters durring that time period and what they were doing (liek the first resident evil movie did )

i certianly don't like the setting on sheperad because , hell not everyone played the male sheperad in their game, I my self played both sexes (once throguh as male then once througha s female) .

and as for the movie why not a female lead ???? I know just as many girl gmaers that played ME series as guy gamers so what gives ??? does bioware and the movie maker's like to cast games as a boy toys still thought we were past that age of gaming ?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]MassEffect could be the greatest SciFi of all times or it could suck donkey ballz!!! I hope they don't blow it!!! I played through MassEffect only because of the Story and I wished it were a movie.[/citation]

that's what i'm thinking , and the real down side of if it sucks is that holywood will take less risk with sci fi movies in the future if this one blows.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I always played the female Shepard, so suspension of disbelief will be major problem for me. Seriously, FemShep is much better acted than ManShep. That, and if you have to spend 20+ hrs looking at someone's backside, it might as well be a female's ;-).[/citation]

I agree 100% the female voice actor for teh games did a MUCH better job than the male voice actor , i did play the games first time through as a male , but after my second play through using the fem shep , i just can't go back to playing the male , her voice acting was way better .

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
So in pre-production and they have already failed 3 times. Amazing. I expected nothing less from Hollywood and there complete disrespect of the medium, and view that gamers are just customers who will spend more on a single story. I will bet this is shot in 3-D and the aliens will be portrayed as being dependent on humans for no reason.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Like DOOM I do not understand why the game's story line is changed?!? Only reason a movie is being made is because the original storyline was good. I do not see this being a good movie because of this.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
IMPORTANT message to Hollywood and Bioware/EA (or any game studio)

Ok..so the movie won't follow the storyline of the games. Sad..but ok. Fine. Just please please PLEASE do us all ONE favor. RESIST the temptation with every fiber of your being to shovel out some film based video game to be released alongside the film. We have had enough of the game version of film stories (ie every superhero movie/game). Plus we have fantastic ME games already and they are working on a third. We DONT need your help and no, no one wants to play a game version of your film.

true story

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Telling the same story already in the games will be a huge fail IMO. What Sheppard are they taking as a basis? I have a Sheppard who is an ultra bad-ass, one who is more righteous than Jesus Christ himself and a couple in-betweens. So... what's Sheppard's personality?

The success for the ME games comes from leaving that to the player, not blindly following a character who is already defined and set in stone.

Expanding the ME universe should be "easy". It's a huge universe they already started unveiling anyways.

Why not an ME movie with an asari protagonist? Or a turian or salarian? I wouldn't choose a krogan as they would be too straight forward, but that's me.

And why during the ME timeline? The citadel and the council have existed for a very long time if you want to dig into the past. Or you can go ahead and explore events way after the Sheppard trilogy. Even if you want to do something during the same time why use Sheppard as a protagonist? There should be a whole lot of stuff going on throughout the galaxy and many can be made interesting stories.

But this, this is hollywood, time to desecrate a good product in an attempt to get easy money.

I'd bet it's easier to find a good fanfic than whatever comes out of hollywood.

deerbolt

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]FemShep is much better acted than ManShep. That, and if you have to spend 20+ hrs looking at someone's backside, it might as well be a female's ;-).[/citation]

Amen to that :)

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I really just want the effects the first game gave to world...ME1 has great visuals for its time and ME2 is equally great...If they blow the realism then I'm walking out and demanding my money back...

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Forget the movie, how about just concentrating on the next game in the series?? I mean come on, a movie lasts 90 minutes, I can play the game for months on end.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Like DOOM I do not understand why the game's story line is changed?!? Only reason a movie is being made is because the original storyline was good. I do not see this being a good movie because of this.[/citation]
It seems none of them ever learned anything from George Lucas. The Star Wars universe is so rich and colorful in the minds of people because everything follows the same storyline, be it the movies, cartoons, games, books, whatever.

If they make a game that uses the same universe but make no connection to the story in the game, then it's just another summer movie.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Based on Legendary's response, the film may ignore everything that's happened in the three games.

Other reports state that Legendary has hired on Daft Punk to provide the film's soundtrack. Daft Punk previously worked on TRON: Legacy.

Another movie about a game that just doesnt get it. Two thumbs down already... not gonna see it and ruin my feelings of the name Mass Effect (though ME2 did tarnish those feelings with the crappy console port that had 1 button to do 3 actions... brilliant bioware... just brilliant).

Status
Not open for further replies.