Massachusetts Department of Transportation Pulling Violent Videogames from Rest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about removing all of the Armed Forces recruitment centers too. Shut them down, because they are a true bastion of violence. Remove ROTC from schools.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
America's Army.

Free download without age restrictions. Developed by the US army for teens and promoted in schools for recruitment purposes. Focuses on extensive training in guns and warfare with emphasis on realism.

Financed and endorsed by the US government.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
They were going to destroy the games until they realized how expensive they are...lol. People are always looking for the easy answer to social problems and blame media.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]the US is quickly becoming the most oppressive and (with this move) one of the most idiotic of the developed nations[/citation]

Perhaps a lesson in U.S. Constitutional Law would help. It is written in our Constitution that the States (Massachusetts is a State) can preserve unto themselves all rights not explicitly reserved unto the Federal Government in the Constitution. Translation: they can be oppressive in ways they so deem necessary that don't conflict with the explicitly preserved rights of the citizens or the restrictions placed on the States in the Constitution. So, Massachusetts is exercising their authority, and I agree that the government shouldn't have this kind of advertising at their highway rest stops. You will find that other States are different in the things they set forward. I currently live in conservative Utah, having come from Massachusetts, and it is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the oppressive nature of liberal Massachusetts.

People in the U.S.A. move around a lot and do so freely because we're unified by language, currency, and common defense, but not much else. Every place is very different from another. It's almost like moving to a different country when you move to a different State. It's quite enjoyable. I've travelled much of this country and I like most of it. I've also been to a few other countries in both hemispheres and we have more diversity here by far. It's a huge challenge to deal with it but it's quite ice in many ways.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Perhaps a lesson in U.S. Constitutional Law would help. It is written in our Constitution that the States (Massachusetts is a State) can preserve unto themselves all rights not explicitly reserved unto the Federal Government in the Constitution. Translation: they can be oppressive in ways they so deem necessary that don't conflict with the explicitly preserved rights of the citizens or the restrictions placed on the States in the Constitution. So, Massachusetts is exercising their authority, and I agree that the government shouldn't have this kind of advertising at their highway rest stops. You will find that other States are different in the things they set forward. I currently live in conservative Utah, having come from Massachusetts, and it is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the oppressive nature of liberal Massachusetts.People in the U.S.A. move around a lot and do so freely because we're unified by language, currency, and common defense, but not much else. Every place is very different from another. It's almost like moving to a different country when you move to a different State. It's quite enjoyable. I've travelled much of this country and I like most of it. I've also been to a few other countries in both hemispheres and we have more diversity here by far. It's a huge challenge to deal with it but it's quite ice in many ways.[/citation]

It is a state owned rest stop. I think they are acting as the "owner" of the rest stop which would give them the freedom to add or remove any of these items (as any owner would be able to). They didn't pass any legislation banning them, they just chose not to have them in "their" locations.

Otherwise, I think it would infringe on the 1st amendment; which states don't have the right to do.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Not that long ago guns (In the USA) where a common site. When my parents where kids, other kids would bring guns to school for "Show and Tell". Then at lunch time, they go outside and shoot cans with the .22, Even when I was a kid, people used to bring knives to school to cut apples and things. No one even thought of going on a rampage.

Even here in Singapore, a few idiots can't thow away chewing gum, now Now all gum is illegal here.
Do these few idiots even realize they are just making life for EVERYONE more difficult? Imagine going on airplanes without security checks and never worry about it. Imagine a world without a few idiots causing corporate greed. God I hate idiots!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]the US is quickly becoming the most oppressive and (with this move) one of the most idiotic of the developed nations[/citation]The United Nanny States of America.[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Not that long ago guns (In the USA) where a common site. When my parents where kids, other kids would bring guns to school for "Show and Tell". Then at lunch time, they go outside and shoot cans with the .22, Even when I was a kid, people used to bring knives to school to cut apples and things. No one even thought of going on a rampage.Even here in Singapore, a few idiots can't thow away chewing gum, now Now all gum is illegal here.Do these few idiots even realize they are just making life for EVERYONE more difficult? Imagine going on airplanes without security checks and never worry about it. Imagine a world without a few idiots causing corporate greed. God I hate idiots![/citation]Yes, but the few idiots doing the bad things aren't the only idiots to blame. The idiots in the government are ultimately responsible for the laws that are produced. Sometimes it is really pure kneejerk stupidity. Other times it is patient, deliberate changes that are implemented whenever an opportunity presents itself. An opportunistic power and control grab, if you will.

We also don't generally lock up even the most dangerous, unstable nutcases anymore. We let them roam free, a few pills will fix them... how's that working out?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Um they're at a rest stop.. How long can they play the video games without a parent or somebody else to look over them. I don't know about you, sure I may take a piss or what not, but my child would not be running around a rest area unsupervised. Again when a government should just tell parents to suck it up and do their damn jobs and be a parent.[/citation]No no, you misunderstand... the government doesn't think parents should be in charge. It would therefore be counterproductive for them to do as you suggest.

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Ridiculous, okay then so Coronation Street (A soap opera in the UK) must be banned as 3 of the actors have been arrested for being pedophiles, and another has been kicked off the soap for rapping about rape on YouTube. TBH I think soaps are worst than games.

Status
Not open for further replies.