MasterCard Electronic Display Cards Finally Go Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Living in Singapore, we already have "smart" credit cards and cash cards. They look like credit cards, but have a chip like a phone SIM card on the end. So, you don't need to "swipe" - just stick the card in. You can also keep the card in the wallet, so at McDonalds, 7-11, or the subway (MRT), just swipe your wallet near some reader, then things get paid automatically.

The Electronic Display Cards takes things further.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This is cool. It basically has a small screen to display the authentication code. I'm sure there is one button to generate a key at the time of purchase.

Credit Card fraud is just too prevalent these days, things l like this will have to be a necessity in the future to help keep consumers safe. Within the last 6 months I've had 2 accounts compromised! I am looking to technologies like this now to help avoid it from happening again.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]22gg[/nom]..........[/citation]
You fall asleep on your keyboard again?

One more layer of security is always good. Next year I'm sure there will be something more added, like a blood sample or something :)

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
question is how durable are these cards with the extra electronics and components embedded into them, will they last 2-3 years of wallet bashing.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]You fall asleep on your keyboard again?One more layer of security is always good. Next year I'm sure there will be something more added, like a blood sample or something[/citation]

Urine sample...An opening for 'deposit' will be under each CC terminal.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i can barely keep the magnetic strips from going out every 4-5 months, i am sceptical for how long this will last... but mayeb my bank just makes crappy card... or maybe i am to hard on em, in either case never had a debit card last a full 6 months and an added lcd makes me worry, liek the idea though

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Living in Singapore, we already have "smart" credit cards and cash cards. They look like credit cards, but have a chip like a phone SIM card on the end. So, you don't need to "swipe" - just stick the card in. You can also keep the card in the wallet, so at McDonalds, 7-11, or the subway (MRT), just swipe your wallet near some reader, then things get paid automatically.The Electronic Display Cards takes things further.[/citation]

how does haveing more than one card work?

i know we have a few cards, one for small, one for big, one for medical (provided by insurance company)

lets say all 3 can swipe like that, how does that work?

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
It's only a matter of time before the credit card merges with cellphone. It's already in progress in certain countries like Japan.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]i can barely keep the magnetic strips from going out every 4-5 months, i am sceptical for how long this will last... but mayeb my bank just makes crappy card... or maybe i am to hard on em, in either case never had a debit card last a full 6 months and an added lcd makes me worry, liek the idea though[/citation]

I don't think they will be using traditional components like you would see in an electronic device like a cell phone. They are probably using flexible AMOLED screen and battery. They wouldn't be making this available to the public if it weren't durable enough for everyday use.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The whole point of two factor authentication is that you have two independent inputs. When they are combined like here, the advantage is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.