McAfee Accused Of Sharing Credit Card Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
whatever happened to the honest businesses. I guess people are way to greedy for that, especially when put into a position where you have the ability to make yourself millions of dollars buy just switching a few things in the system.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Norton and McAfee both crap...and we run both at work...don't ask me why we are using two virus scanners. I have no say or control over some of these decisions. It is a nod and smile situation.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I've been using them both for years i dont think they are trust worthy i believe that in 05 and probably now that mcafee were behind the viruses. i've never payed them a dime they dont have my info this does not surprise me. got em both for free from comcast

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The last McAfee product I used was VirusScan for Windows 95...

After that they never did anything worth purchasing in my opinion.

G

McAfee and Norton are both shady as hell, it's more than reasonable to suspect that they write viruses in order to boost their business. Fuck antivirus and insecure OS, Linux with no antivirus is the way to go.

(before any ignorant Windoze fanboys try to say it's because Linux has less marketshare, please do a little research on outward listening ports, Linux' kernel level security, and the anecdotal evidence that there really aren't any antivirus solutions for Linux).

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Why anyone would use McCrappy or Norscam products is beyond me.
You're better off putting up with the slowdowns associated with virus infection than installing these utils and having your machine slow down EVEN MORE than an infection would cause.

The new Microsoft Security Essentials does a damn fine job, and without the constant self-justifying popups and annoyances than most AV products constantly bombard you with, and the latest Avast is also a great AV.
Screw McAffee and Norton. Both of these companies have proven themselves to be bad companies who swallow up smaller utility makers and destroy formerly good products, much like Corel do.

sparia1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
this is a stupid lawsuit and is simply a case of the consumer failing to read... This just sounds like those ads that come up after you make a purchase at numerous websites (such as buy.com for one) that asks you to try a product and say that they will charge you're card if you do not cancel after the first month. This is not McAfee providing the product, and most definitely there was text indicating this.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
How is it a case of "the consumer failing to read"?
The popup box, if we are to take the story at face value, looked identical in style to the symantec page that triggered it.
How is a consumer supposed to differentiate between the two? Is that not the whole point of the suit? That the popup was knowingly designed to trick customers into buying a 3rd party's product for an additional monthly cost.
If the 3rd party had not disguised the popup then nobody would have been confused in the slightest about the extra product.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]McCrappy never had good antivirus anyways in my opinion.[/citation]
No they didn't, they were typically always a step behind to the security capabilities of the market. McAfee is definitely not well known for its security software but from its marketing...The #1 in the included "bloatware" of computer retailers everywhere...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]sparia1[/nom]this is a stupid lawsuit and is simply a case of the consumer failing to read... This just sounds like those ads that come up after you make a purchase at numerous websites (such as buy.com for one) that asks you to try a product and say that they will charge you're card if you do not cancel after the first month. This is not McAfee providing the product, and most definitely there was text indicating this.[/citation]
You call this stupid but yet only back your reason with your opinion...thanks for the bro-telligence...

I have no input seeing how I'm not stupid enough to buy MacAfee so wouldn't know what kind of possible "misleading" popups it displays...

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Norton, McAfee etc ... are not "honest buisness" nor have theyever been, It's like a protection cartel (mafia) that constantly scare and find holes in things that would otherwise never have been exploited for their own financial gain.

How anyone would buy things of these companies and feel safe, i will allways wonder...

In short - dont give your money to protectionist mafia's and you wont get ripped off, Simplez!

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
For consumers, certainly Avira or other free anti-malware products are fine.

Any recommendations for the SMB sector? Business-grade Symantec Endpoint Protection is not too bad (better than consumer-grade Norton), and Trend Micro business products seem to be okay as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.