Megaupload Faces Additional Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
$500 million in damages? Where are these figures coming from and who is making the calculations? I somehow have a feeling these people are basing this on the assumption that every person who downloaded anything would have bought it if the download was not available. That is in no way true, I doubt anywhere near $500 million was lost cause of this, I believe most who downloaded would have just passed these things by if they could not download. No sales were lost, the RIAA and MPAA are just seeing a chance for a money grab and are going for it.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This is when you have a cayman islands bank account skip bail and live in a country that gives you diplomatic immunity from trial deportation. lol

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I think they shut down MegaUpload because of the music service they were going to start. IIRC the service would have given the independent artists the same level playing field as the artists from the big record companies with the majority of the revenue going to the artists themselves.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
This is elementary my dear Watson. If sales from your album/software/etc are low, make it appear on site like Megaupload. Announce it evil after few years, "calculate" millions and billions lost $ and sue everyone who used their services! Who can deny MU was set up for for this purpose in the first place?

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"The filing states that the damage caused by Megaupload is at least $500 million"

At least THIS TIME they aren't claiming the damages amounted to more money than exists in the world.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
And i think this case may have unexpected consequences in the emerging business of cloud storage. Because one reading of the case is that a hosting service can be closed down and sued with all kinds of charges based on the service not monitoring if what users upload is breaking any law. Meaning if the RIAA/MPAA wins the case, cloud storage services will have to spend resources just to check if their users are "engaging in copyright infringement" or whatever.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]And i think this case may have unexpected consequences in the emerging business of cloud storage.[/citation]
This was a sharing site, not a storage site. If you want to store and retrieve, or share with a list of users, there is much less of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.