memory stick to tv with no usb port

classynurse

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
I have films on a memory stick and want to play them on my Samsung Plasma tv but it dosnt have any USB ports only hdmi is there something I can buy to enable me to do this or do I have to play it through my laptop and what do I need to buy to play it via laptop onto the tv screen please

Solution
I was just thinking - rather than a set-top box, a better 'bang for the buck' might be the right blue ray player. I have a Toshiba that will play all manner of movies (mp4, mkv, avi etc) from it's usb port as well as music and photos. Be sure to do a little research though and get one that has this playback functionality. In my experience, both Sony and Panasonic are NOT good in this regard but there are probably lots of brands that are.
The advantage to doing this is that:
1. you'd get a great picture (1080p would be no problem) and sound
2. very easy to hook up (1 hdmi cable)
3. you could rent or buy and then play blue ray movies (or dvds)
4. you wouldn't have to be constantly attaching and unattaching your laptop to the tv
5. the...
Ideally you'd only need an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV but a converter would do if your laptop has only a blue D-sub connector. Clearly, the quality of the graphics will suffer a little but it would work.

You'll be looking for a converter with a female D-sub at one end and a male HDMI at the other.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Blue plug with 15 pins in 3 rows is for vga graphics out this is analogue so needs an electronic converter for hdmi in to TV

Check which way round the converter box goes
As different converter for digital out hdmi to vga into TV

regards
Mike Barnes

Hi, nothing to be sorry about. I'm seventy this year and the convverter is a small piece of plastic and metal bits, about two inches long. At one end is a plug which wll connect to the only place on your laptop that it fits and the other end has a socket which will connect to a cable to your TV.

I'm not recommending this product but it gives you an idea what to look for in a computer store. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Male-To-VGA-D-SUB-15-Female-Video-Adapter-Converter-Cable-For-HDTV-PC-/281901704968?hash=item41a2a6a708:g:rhcAAOSwT~9Wi84c

classynurse

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

classynurse

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
thanks mike yes I have one of those on my laptop so I need to put memory stick into lap top then this connector into laptop and tv then I should be able to watch the films on the memory stick what a palaver easier to by a tv with a usb port in it lol

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

You specifically need to check you are getting a vga out to hdmi in converter
Also a hdmi cable
Some of the converters get power from usb cable or a seperate power supply

The ones with the correct connector at each end but no electronics in them are no use to you

I have one which goes the other way round hdmi out of Rasberry Pi into an old lcd screen using vga db 15 connector

Regards
Mike Barnes

The standard connector I linked to in e-Bay sends a laptop's display to the TV and does it here on an old laptop daily.

You need only to find the input menu on the TV's remote to change the HDMI setting to whichever socket round the back that you plugged the other end of the cable into.

robert600

Distinguished
Another option would be to forget about using the laptop to display on your tv. Instead get a set-top media player - they connect to your tv via an hdmi cable and support 1080p and 5.1 audio so the picture and the sound would be very good. Just plug the memory stick into the set-top player and all is good. These players have come way down in price.

robert600

Distinguished
I was just thinking - rather than a set-top box, a better 'bang for the buck' might be the right blue ray player. I have a Toshiba that will play all manner of movies (mp4, mkv, avi etc) from it's usb port as well as music and photos. Be sure to do a little research though and get one that has this playback functionality. In my experience, both Sony and Panasonic are NOT good in this regard but there are probably lots of brands that are.
The advantage to doing this is that:
1. you'd get a great picture (1080p would be no problem) and sound
2. very easy to hook up (1 hdmi cable)
3. you could rent or buy and then play blue ray movies (or dvds)
4. you wouldn't have to be constantly attaching and unattaching your laptop to the tv
5. the laptop would be available for people to use while you're watching a movie

Solution