I have the following components:

• XBR-65X810C Sony TV
    HT-XT1 Sony Home Theater System (2.1)
    BDP-S3700 Sony Blu-ray
    Dish network receiver (satellite)
    AVR-1705/685 Denon AV Receiver (5.1)

Connections

• Satellite and Blu-ray connect to the Sony Home theater system via HDMI
    TV is connected to the Sony Home Theater System via HDMI(ARC)
    Coaxial Digital out from Blu-ray is connected to my Denon AV Receiver via the Coaxial Digital in.

When I view Satellite, I'm only getting 2.1 which is fine (going to purchase the multi plex unit with multiple coaxial and optical inputs to a single coaxial/optical out so I can get 2.1 and 5.1 for all components). But when I view my blu-ray, I get both the 2.1 and 5.1 sound. But I can't seem to get it to sound good. My boy says it sometimes sounds like he's listening to the sound through a door. The Bass however sounds awesome. I use the 2.1 woofer in the front and I've placed my 5.1 woofer in the back of the room. But I can't seem to get the echo out of the speakers. If I mute one or the other systems, the echo seems to go away or be Nominal. I've tried several things with my 5.1 speaker configuration from switching large to small, checked the distance of the speakers from the appropriate focal point, and adjusted the Db (decibels) to try to get the best sound. First started off with all speakers at 0 Db, now I've lowered the front speakers of the 5.1 to very low Db (so you can just barely hear them) and let the 2.1 do the work in the front and the 5.1 do the work in the back (or surround sound). It seems to be better but there is still a little bit of an echo. I would like to be able to use all the speakers across the board but didn't know if its possible to do that and also receive good sound. Any suggestions or am I trying the impossible here and should just keep the 2.1 with the 5.1 woofer and call it good? I hate to dedicate an AV receiver just for a woofer lol.

Thank you.

Solution
You are not going to get a good result trying to use two incompatible systems. I would just use your Denon receiver and 5.1 speakers since they are likely to sound better than the Sony.
When you balance a surround sound system the volume of each speaker at your listening position should be the same (except for the sub). That will duplicate what you are intended to hear. If there is zero rear sound turning it up won't get you more sound just louder sound when there is any. Sometimes you might turn the center up a bit to bring dialogue out more. The sub level is to your taste.
Since your receiver predates HDMI connect the Dish box and DVD to the TV with HDMI and connect the digital audio out of the TV to the Denon receiver. Set the TV to...
You are not going to get a good result trying to use two incompatible systems. I would just use your Denon receiver and 5.1 speakers since they are likely to sound better than the Sony.
When you balance a surround sound system the volume of each speaker at your listening position should be the same (except for the sub). That will duplicate what you are intended to hear. If there is zero rear sound turning it up won't get you more sound just louder sound when there is any. Sometimes you might turn the center up a bit to bring dialogue out more. The sub level is to your taste.
Since your receiver predates HDMI connect the Dish box and DVD to the TV with HDMI and connect the digital audio out of the TV to the Denon receiver. Set the TV to output in surround sound. An alternate is to connect the digital outs of both the DVD and Dish box to the receiver for sound and the HDMI outs to the TV for picture. Surround mode for DVD should be set to Auto and for the Dish box to Dolby.

Solution

bakeman

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016