Mic not working on windows

DylanRubini

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I have an NW-700 dynamic microphone to record with. It uses an XLR -> 3.5mm connection, I connect an adaptor to 1/4" onto it to connect it to my Project Series USB audio mixer, when I connect that via USB to my Mac I can record just fine.

However now I'm trying on my windows 10 desktop and just no sound is coming through. I have not changed anything, it doesn't work with either the mic or the USB Mix.

When I plug just the XLR -> 3.5mm into the front or back plug it shows up in my recording devices as Microphone Realtek HD Audio (Default Device), this is because before an ASUS Realtek audio software controlled audio stuff once it was plugged in, so I tried uninstalling that. All my audio works fine, I have an NVIDIA driver too I guess (I saw it in my uninstall list), but it's still just detecting nothing.

I get the green bar of detection when I take out and plug in the 3.5mm but that's all.

When I plug in the USB mixer it shows up in recording devices as Microphone USB Audio Codec (Default Device). same deal, just does not detect anything.

Something to note: the mixing on the audio mixer... does not appear to actually work. I can plug it in and record audio but turning all the channel gains and levels and everything changes nothing, 0 or 100 it all sounds the same, further, i can't plug in and monitor anything from it, so there is definitely some problem there, but I'm not sure if that'd effect the Mixer's recording on the computer (since again, works fine on my mac), but even then the 3.5mm doesn't work so who knows if that's connected.

Can anyone help? Microsoft wants me to pay for a premium service to get this fixed which I'm sure will inevitably have me shipping my desktop to them (which is absolutely out of the question), them saying they can't fix it and to talk to the people who I bought the mic from (no matter how many times I say it works on the mac)

Edit: Well this is embarrassing, I did more research and looking around and my mic, despite it saying it does not when I bought it, needs a phantom power supply. So I've just ordered that.

DylanRubini

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Oh boy update, I discovered the program i was recording with on my mac was defaulting to my built in mic, i just tried my proper mic, doesnt work there either. Mic is broken it seems