Mic/Preamp making constant screeching noise, and the audio is super distorted?

Feb 5, 2019
I tried 2 different mics and both had this issue, it makes a constant screeching noise that gets louder when i change the "Levels" in the mic's settings on the PC, but when i add gain in my preamp, the screeching doesn't change at all.

If i record my voice it's extremely distorted as well, even if the audio doesn't get that loud.

So the full story is i bought a new mic, tried it on and all of a sudden this issue came up. Then i tried it with the old mic that worked perfectly fine just the day before, and the issue persisted.

I've tried listening to my preamp with the direct monitor function, and the issue's still there. So i'm pretty sure it's caused by the preamp? I've tried 2 different XLR cables too, and tried updating the drivers as well. Thanks!

Feb 5, 2019

The mic i used to use is a Shure PGA27, the one i switched to is a Rode NT1A, the preamp is a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic500USB.

The mic connects to the preamp through XLR, and that connects through USB to the PC

Will try updating the bios now!

Feb 5, 2019

Edit: can't update the bios

Feb 5, 2019

Second update (sorry don't mean to spam): Just unplugged the XLR cable from the mic with the "Listen to this device" option turned on in the windows settings, and the screeching noise continues to go on. Then i tried it with the direct monitor option on, still screeching.

So absolutely nothing is connected to the preamp (not even the USB to the PC) but my headphones with the direct monitor flipped on, and the power cable, and it's screeching. Do i possibly just need a new preamp?