Mic that doesn't perform consistently on all computers.

vlk

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,

I have a GigaWare headset/mic combo that I am using to try to record audio for an eLearning program I am creating. When I use the headset/mic on a low-end Dell computer (not a multi-media machine) it works great and there is no hissing sound on the recording. However, when I use the same headset/mic on a multimedia Samsung computer, there is an awful hissing noise, and my voice sounds as if it is in the background rather than the foreground. (The hissing is in the "foreground.")

I checked my settings, (mic input/output) and have my mic selected as the default for recording.

Any ideas why there is no hissing on one machine, and there is on another? Both computers are laptops.

Could it be an issue with the sound card?

Many thanks for any insight you can give.

VK

Solution
first thing i would think of is the microphone isnt muted on the samsung laptop.
that means you would hear what is being recorded with the microphone through the speakers.
this is quite the most common reason why the hissing is in the foreground and not the background.

otherwise,
not all soundcards have noise filtering that is enough to stop a problem.
if the 'mute' box is checked.. then forget about using the soundcard on the samsung laptop.
get an external one with usb or one that will fit in the expansion slot.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
first thing i would think of is the microphone isnt muted on the samsung laptop.
that means you would hear what is being recorded with the microphone through the speakers.
this is quite the most common reason why the hissing is in the foreground and not the background.

otherwise,
not all soundcards have noise filtering that is enough to stop a problem.
if the 'mute' box is checked.. then forget about using the soundcard on the samsung laptop.
get an external one with usb or one that will fit in the expansion slot.

Solution

vlk

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for the info. I double-checked to ensure the microphone was muted on the laptop. It was. Looks as if I'll be getting an external sound card.