mic to preamp to iphone

dkbaxter

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I am a total amateur trying to set up for a recording. I first tried using a lavalier connecting directly to the iphone to record - it worked, but the sound was thin. So, I thought, I would try a preamp. So I bought an ART tube mic preamp. I then:

- connected my lav 3.5mm output to a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter
- inserted the 1/4" adapter into the preamp
- output from the preamp with a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4 in TRS stereo interconnect cord
- First tried plugging the 3.5mm output on the cord into my iphone. It didn't work (no response to mic)
- Then used a speaker and headphone splitter. I plugged the cord into the female mic end, then plugged the male end of the splitter into the iphone. Still didn't work (no response to mic).

If it's helpful to know, I also tried bypassing the amp completely, and plugged my lav directly into the speaker and headphone splitter, then pluggled the splitter into the iphone. That also didn't work. Not sure if that's because the splitter was expecting a 3.5mm input plug with three sections instead of four.

Any help would be awesome!!!

Thanks in advance.

ART tube mic preamp (https://www.amazon.com/ART-TubeMP-Tube-Microphone-Preamp/dp/B0002GZZNY/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1493411000&sr=1-5&keywords=ART+tube+mic+preamp)

Solution
Well let me have a go to help - Apple claim that both the audio jack and the dock connector on the iPhone can handle audio output AND input. That may be a way forward for you. Take care as it seems suitable dock interfaces vary depending on your model of iPhone. For music streaming I always use the dock connector.

PS My research found that the jack socket on the iPhone is a TRRS plug, Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve. There are jack convertors that plug into the iPhone providing you with two jack sockets, one for mic one for headphones, so you can use an external mic and external amp and use your 'phone hands free. You did well to get a mic preamp so I would look at getting a dock connector.

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Well let me have a go to help - Apple claim that both the audio jack and the dock connector on the iPhone can handle audio output AND input. That may be a way forward for you. Take care as it seems suitable dock interfaces vary depending on your model of iPhone. For music streaming I always use the dock connector.

PS My research found that the jack socket on the iPhone is a TRRS plug, Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve. There are jack convertors that plug into the iPhone providing you with two jack sockets, one for mic one for headphones, so you can use an external mic and external amp and use your 'phone hands free. You did well to get a mic preamp so I would look at getting a dock connector.

Solution