Microsoft Announces Live TV Streaming for Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Step 1. Plug Xbox onto TV.
Step 2. Plug network cable into Xbox
Step 3. Change TV from live station to Aux Input.
Step 4. Watch live TV on Xbox.
Step 5. Pay for internet bill.

Not too sure about this one.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah think i will stay away from this Comcast has a 250 gig cap before they send you down to dial up speed and i'm already hitting the 200s with the stuff i download and Netflix i could see this easily putting me into the 300s

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Is this in USA where every internet connection has a limit? That must be awful... Those ISPs are getting too greedy.
Luckely I haven't heard of such a thing over in the old world.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Step 5. Pay for internet bill.Not too sure about this one.[/citation]
In the UK we have some truely unmetered services.
Rack up over a Terabyte in a month and they honestly could care less.

The only people who moan about metered services are you jolly people in the USA with your crappy ISPs who bend you over a barrel for a measly allowance or make you pay a fortune for unmetered with a fair use policy (which is still metered).

Thats why the service already runs in the UK :)

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Complaining about a 250 gig cap? what about 10 gigs a month for $50 or $40USD (not including phone line which is another $50)

G

back_by_demand - i only had to deal with metered broadband when i moved to the UK from the US - either way I do have Sky Player on my xbox and it could be cheaper - considering sky did not have to provide a controller, the broadband, or the "box."

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dirmanian[/nom]back_by_demand - i only had to deal with metered broadband when i moved to the UK from the US - either way I do have Sky Player on my xbox and it could be cheaper - considering sky did not have to provide a controller, the broadband, or the "box."[/citation]
I never said all broadband services were unmetered, there will always be products aimed at those who don't know the market.
It just seems that every time someone bitches and moans about crappy metered service the same 3 big US service providers pop up, they sure got the majority by the balls.

samanosuke47

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Well then, Maybe I'll be able to watch TV once again, cause I don't pay for it anymore.. and just have my xbox, and PC connected up. Interesting.

G

If they put ESPN on this sucker, it's game over for my cable company. The main reason I still have cable TV is for sports.

G

[citation][nom]rrddfgh[/nom]Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new season approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar! === http://shopping01.org/ ===[/citation]
Yes! Let us facelift bar!

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]shmung[/nom]Yeah think i will stay away from this Comcast has a 250 gig cap before they send you down to dial up speed and i'm already hitting the 200s with the stuff i download and Netflix i could see this easily putting me into the 300s[/citation]
Has Comcast imposed this cap at a national level?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
If ABC is on board this may just be an enhancement to make Hulu Plus a bit tighter with Microsoft (Xbox). Netflix offers more for less money. More TV shows, no commercials and movies which Hulu doesn't touch yet. The value in Hulu is shows that aired within 24 hours and current seasons.

When I tried to use Hulu Plus on my 360 and PS3 I couldn't watch many new shows which I could watch for FREE on the Hulu web page. Clearly they need to make some improvements to reach the market they want.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Has Comcast imposed this cap at a national level?[/citation]

Yes they have. But it only gets enforced depending on how clogged the node is. I've read on forums people using up to 500 gig per month and never getting contacted and then there are people who slightly go over 250 gig and receive a warning.

Of course you can always go to a business class account. Pricier, but it's uncapped and you do get much better customer service than residential customers get. And you don't have to have a business to get it.

And there are still some isp's that don't have caps. Verizon, Time Warner and Wide Open West for example are uncapped.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]Yes they have. But it only gets enforced depending on how clogged the node is. [/citation]
Well then it is clear why such caps are a good thing. I don't want other people cloggin' muh node when I'm trying to do legitimate work over the net.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm lucky. I'm on Mediacom here in the Midwest, and as far as I can tell, no caps (I'm sure I hit over well over 200GB last month with re-downloading games to the wife's new computer, and lots of MLB and Netflix streaming, plus, uh, other things). However, Mediacom does use DPI (deep packet inspection) to serve-up it's own advertisements in some websites I frequent (that, or mlb.com uses THE WORST ad service I've ever seen). Who knows what else they might be doing with that technology. I guess it's a tradeoff, get screwed by your ISP for using the service you paid for, or have your ISP spy on you for it's own profit. However, until my web browser starts saying my web certificates are signed by "Mediacom Intermediary Certificate Signing Company", I'll assume my HTTPS traffic is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.