Microsoft Announces Price Hikes for Xbox Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

putgow

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Last time I checked PC gaming networks were free? So is PS3's.

People need to realize what a cash cow this has become.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
While annoying, and insulting, I will pay it. Why? Some of my favourite games are Xbox only.
But I just wish they would add a browser and bluetooth to the Xbox (bluetooth mouse/keyboard), and support for resolutions over 1920x1080 while browsing (but still locked to 720p/1080i/whatever for gaming).
Sony tried a browser on the PS3, but it's a truckload of fail.
Oh, and allow my to connect a 2TB 7200RPM Samsung to it...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Wow, bunch of xbox and live haters here. It's TEN DOLLARS PEOPLE, jesus. How about not going to get coffee for two days for an entire year, you just paid for the cost increase.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
They want to charge you $60/year to access their network? It seems that they are increasing prices now BEFORE Windows Phone 7 comes out (which I imagine will require a XBox Live account to download and play certain games). $60 doesn't sound "that bad", unless you know it used to be $50 right before you bought your phone. I guess Microsoft's research has shown Win Phone 7 adopters will be big gamers.

You know, its understandable that they need to make money, but isn't that why they sell you the XBox and the Games and controllers and everything else? If the console could connect to the internet, stream Netflix, browse the web without a Live account, and maybe even play co-op/multiplayer over a LAN, then I could understand Microsoft charging to gain access to the community to do things like download games, use matchmaking services, or play on remotely-hosted servers. But to charge for the basic act of connecting the device to the internet (after they charged extra for the WiFi adapter in the first place) is just ridiculous. But I guess 20 million people don't care.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
What I find the most sick about this is that you're only paying to access their network, but of course there are also rumors of paid subscription multiplayer... and what about those "Cerberus Network Access" costs for used gamers. I'd be "more" ok with a price increase on Live IF some of that would go to developers so that they wouldn't themselves have to milk the gamer for even more money on top of already paying a premium for Live.

BTW, PS3 is going paid too... and why isn't this happening in all contries yet?... because they're testing the waters. If we roll over and take this increase without so much as a whimper, they'll increase it accross the board.

Good thing I purchase my Live cards on sale for dirt cheap... you'd be crazy to purchase Live access directly from MS (same with MS points too).

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]Wow, bunch of xbox and live haters here. It's TEN DOLLARS PEOPLE, jesus. How about not going to get coffee for two days for an entire year, you just paid for the cost increase.[/citation]
I'd rather burn $60 than give a penny of it to Microsoft. In fact, I'd rather donate $60 to Sony just because they at least have a free service. Even if Xbox Live were the greatest matchmaking system in the world, it still wouldn't be worth $60. It's a glorified marketplace and a dashboard loaded with advertisements. It's like if you paid $60 a year to use Steam on the PC. Or even worse, paid $60 a year to use IWnet (and if Activision has their way, you will).

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]teknomedic[/nom]What I find the most sick about this is that you're only paying to access their network, but of course there are also rumors of paid subscription multiplayer... and what about those "Cerberus Network Access" costs for used gamers. I'd be "more" ok with a price increase on Live IF some of that would go to developers so that they wouldn't themselves have to milk the gamer for even more money on top of already paying a premium for Live.BTW, PS3 is going paid too... and why isn't this happening in all contries yet?... because they're testing the waters. If we roll over and take this increase without so much as a whimper, they'll increase it accross the board.Good thing I purchase my Live cards on sale for dirt cheap... you'd be crazy to purchase Live access directly from MS (same with MS points too).[/citation]
The difference with PS3 going paid is that multiplayer is supposed to still be free. In that case, I don't what compelling reason they'll have to make people pay for a service. But they said multiplayer would stay free so I still give them credit for that. I'm sure they're aching for a slice of that Xbox Live chump pie though.

applegotmelaid

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Wow, bunch of xbox and live haters here. It's TEN DOLLARS PEOPLE, jesus. How about not going to get coffee for two days for an entire year, you just paid for the cost increase.

Can't do that. Just because one of Steve Ballmer's concubines wants a fancy coach bag doesn't mean I have to drink less coffee.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]While annoying, and insulting, I will pay it. Why? Some of my favourite games are Xbox only.But I just wish they would add a browser and bluetooth to the Xbox (bluetooth mouse/keyboard), and support for resolutions over 1920x1080 while browsing (but still locked to 720p/1080i/whatever for gaming).Sony tried a browser on the PS3, but it's a truckload of fail.Oh, and allow my to connect a 2TB 7200RPM Samsung to it...[/citation]

you can play any Xbox 360 game on PC, you just have to have a bit of intelligence. besides, PC is free, and reacts better than a console, plus if you think about it is cheaper for the performance.

1. more than likely your already going to have a computer anyway so all you would need is a GPU.

2. a HD 5770 offers MUCH better performance than the 360 and costs the same as the cheapest 360 version. (ah, and i forgot to mention that a 5770 doesn't RROD, and has no reason to fail unless you are stupid with ESD)

3. you can hook up a 360 controller to a computer.

whats the difference... nothing, except your smarter with a computer.

not only do you save money in the long run but also the games that are the same for PC and 360 you don't have to pay MS's 10 premium (49.99 per game (PC) instead of 59.99 (360))

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
And XBOX users once again gets the shaft. So you are going to pay MORE for online gaming, get screwed when you get caught with a modded XBOX, and have no blu-ray built in automatically. And why do people STILL buy XBOX? Sounds like a classic case of shoot myself in the foot, only that it's moving up to the leg.

Steam and PS Online wins again.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]requiemsallure[/nom]you can play any Xbox 360 game on PC, you just have to have a bit of intelligence.[/citation]

stopped reading there.

this is not true, as much of a pc lover i am, this is simply not true.

and xbox 360 usually has better lookin CONSOLE VERSION multiplats.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]Wow, bunch of xbox and live haters here. It's TEN DOLLARS PEOPLE, jesus. How about not going to get coffee for two days for an entire year, you just paid for the cost increase.[/citation]
Yeah, there is maybe one detail you don't know, costs for server and network HW went down dramatically in past few years and so did network traffic costs, so if something they should go cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.