Microsoft Announces Price Hikes for Xbox Live

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cranium

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Anyone reading this website should be savvy enough to know that these subscriptions can be bought for nearly half their retail cost. so the price went up $10; the average American is spending that much on fast food and coffee a day. My point is that this isn't the injustice you think it is.

They recently dropped the price of the system, have upgraded its capacity and will have all sorts of free-to-use services like video chat, that ESPN mumbo jumbo, Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm etc. I really don't think this is that big of an issue. There's no denying that it looks terrible on the surface though. I say they should have taken the hit and kept it as is. I'm not looking forward to seeing "Ecks-Bawx Live costs even MORE now!" on every new '360 vs PS3 price breakdown' flame post

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I don't like it, but i understand it. The price of the Xbox360 has come down so much that they aren't makeing much profit on the unit anymore so they have to bump up network fee's to make money again on a dieing system. They really need some new killer games for the system, it's been quit some time now since we have seen anything new and refreshing.

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The difference with PS3 going paid is that multiplayer is supposed to still be free. In that case, I don't what compelling reason they'll have to make people pay for a service. But they said multiplayer would stay free so I still give them credit for that. I'm sure they're aching for a slice of that Xbox Live chump pie though.
The main deal with the yearly subscription for PS3 is that you get content. included with your subscription you get a subscription to Qore the PS3 video magazine with Ms. Hotness Veronica Belmont you also get new games every month for no additional charge. there aer also some pretty solid discounts on other games throughout each month. The online play is still free and there is no need to pay at all the Playstation Plus is just an additional thing that actually gives you something unlike 360 where you get nothing to show for it.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
60$ isn't shit it's 5$ a month get over it. Now what I can't stand is dlc that's bullshit specially when it usually only includes new maps. Which people used to be able to make with most fps games for free. And a lot were better.

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Anything for a buck....kudos to PSN for introducing an OPTIONAL subscriber service that actually provides things like free games, advanced demos, and more.

I own all three consoles and a gaming PC, and my Xbox definitely gets the least attention.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
People expect tech services to get cheaper over time. Raising prices without offering anything in return is a mistake.

It's not really a significant increase... but it will be perceived that way, and they will likely lose more revenue from customer loss than they will gain in extra fees.

If they want to raise prices, give us a free arcade game every month. That might work.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
they can hike their price all they want, I will never buy a 360.
PS3 is still free to play and if they ever change to pay-based service
it will be ADIOS for me to online gaming.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Stop calculating the money MS makes off the service. 20 millions Xbox Live users != 20 millions Xbox Live GOLD users. The SILVER service is still free.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Bill Gates[/nom]For all of you who are posting bad things about the company I founded, and the vision I had for creating a persistent online gaming community: I know who you are so watch out![/citation]
Wow, I'm glad I didn't say anything bad!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]Wow, bunch of xbox and live haters here. It's TEN DOLLARS PEOPLE, jesus. How about not going to get coffee for two days for an entire year, you just paid for the cost increase.[/citation]

i know i will get banned for this but its the truth

i love people like this. yes small price increase who cares it's not like a 20 or 30 dollar increase. fact of the matter is MS price increase is just them seeing how much they can screw you. they start little by little like this until they start screwing you at a pace that you start to notice

then at that time when the article comes out down the road for another increase or another few 10.00 or whatever increases i will be back to say i told you so when people like this start complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS