Microsoft Begs Users to Stop Using IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hopefully they'll ditch IE6 for a real browser like Firefox or Chromium. I'd rather use Lynx than IE6.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Lynx_Fanboy[/nom]Hopefully they'll ditch IE6 for a real browser like Firefox or Chromium. I'd rather use Lynx than IE6.[/citation]Lynx doesn't even support graphics. Arachne is better.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
"The anti-IE6 campaign is almost comical at this point. Microsoft, if you are offering a great browser for all users, they will happily drop IE6. Seriously."

Interesting stance, you're pinning the blame on Microsoft? There are already plenty of better browsers out there, but for some reason they can't or won't upgrade. That isn't Microsoft's fault. They already offer IE8 for WinXP users, and while it is far from perfect, it is much better than IE6. Then there's Opera, Chrome, and Firefox.

Perhaps there's another force at work here. Maybe you could talk to one of your Chinese counterparts, in between their state-sponsored police beatings. Perhaps they're running low-spec Pentium 1s or perhaps late-model 486s (DX4 anyone?), and only visiting Chinese sites tailored for these low grade machines and ancient browsers.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I've been using Minefield 64-bit browser for a while. I'll install IE9 just to have it, but I'll probably use it 0.01% of the time. In otherwords, when I have to.

G

The versions beyond IE6 allow Microsoft to snoop more on your browsing (in particular your searches with Google). No surprise Microsoft wants people to 'move on'.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
A way to get rid of IE6 would be for Microsoft to release SP4 for Windows XP which includes IE8 as well as all of the updates to date.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If FF didn't' crash all the time with flash I might use it. Chrome? please... Chrome, Opera, etc etc won't ever even get 1% market share.[/citation]
Hate to break it to you but Chrome has ~13% market share and Opera is approaching 3% market share.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If FF didn't' crash all the time with flash I might use it. Chrome? please... Chrome, Opera, etc etc won't ever even get 1% market share.[/citation]

As far as I was aware chrome had 11% market share and opera had about 4%........Last time I done maths that was more than 1%. Someone needs to get out more rather than sitting trolling forums via IE6

randomizer

Distinguished
One of our salespeople sent out a proposal to a potential client for a new website the other day. The person called back saying that all of the example websites given were broken as was our own company's website (all of which were built in WordPress). The guy was running IE6. It's a terrible pain trying to explain to people that they are running Microsoft's vision for what web standards should be instead of what they really are, as well as the fact that they are running a security risk on their system. Sadly IE7 isn't all that much better. It still doesn't render most things properly. IE8 was getting there... sort of. I haven't looked at IE9 personally.

Please don't do Microsoft a favour, do the web designers/developers of the world a favour and get people to drop IE altogether (perhaps with the exception of IE9).

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
IE 6 = good hacker browser! Also, XP is big in China because its cheap and now there is no real need to upgrade. Chinese companies and government love some IE6 and use a lot of active X components. I wish I could use Firefox or Chrome to check my bank account online, but I can't so IE 6 it is.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Ah ie6 it has been users since I used it for any length of time at home. Viruses, malware, pop ups, lock ups, and more. Switched to firefox early on and it all went away. :)

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
A lot of businesses can't migrate away from IE6 because they built their systems around it and MS did not make IE7-8 backward compatible with it. It is sad but there you go, I work for one of the big tech retailers and our browser is still IE6 because it is integrated into a program running on an AS400 that will not speak to anything else without a major disruption to the system or a load of cash thrown at the problem. The moral of the story, don't put your faith in proprietary software, open standards will win almost every time DX being the most obvious exception.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Im glad they are trying to get people to move away from IE6, its old, broken, and non standards compliant. Any software or web pages that requires IE6 to work was built by a moron who wasnt writing good code, IE6 required you to break several rules to accomplish some things which caused FF and others not to work with that page because they followed the rules. IE6 and IE5 were the worst ideas for internet browsers ever and came pretty close to screwing the internet in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.