Microsoft: Blu-ray Will Be Passed By As a Format

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Microsoft's console division is always good for lols. Last winter it was them saying they don't need to "go back to the drawing board on a console" when asked if they'll introduce a "Slim" model like Sony had. Well we all know what happened this summer. Now this-People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay.Actually that one deserves a lmao. I'd like to see the percentage of people who can stream Blu-ray quality picture and sound to their Xbox 360. I'm guessing it's a lot less than the 100% of PS3 owners who can. These Xbox PR guys are long overdue for a big fat slice of humble pie.[/citation]
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Microsoft's console division is always good for lols. Last winter it was them saying they don't need to "go back to the drawing board on a console" when asked if they'll introduce a "Slim" model like Sony had. Well we all know what happened this summer. Now this-People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay.Actually that one deserves a lmao. I'd like to see the percentage of people who can stream Blu-ray quality picture and sound to their Xbox 360. I'm guessing it's a lot less than the 100% of PS3 owners who can. These Xbox PR guys are long overdue for a big fat slice of humble pie.[/citation]

Another thing, if they're so confident about their "Blu-ray quality streaming" then why don't they just abandon DVD's already as well? After all more and more developers are complaining about the 360's lack of disc storage space, resulting in multiple DVD's. They should really put their money where their mouth is if they think digital streaming has replaced DVD's.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
who the hell is going to pay $7 to stream an HD movie 1 time when I can spend $20 to own it forever? There have been several articles written stating why physical media will be around for well over the next 5 years, anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves, especially MS. HDDVD fail, still don't see how not adopting BD hasn't killed them yet, but it will. If their next console lacks an optical drive it will fail, not everyone has high speed internet, besides i would still rather throw a disc in than wait an hour or two to download a game.

hpapanto

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
lol does microsoft take us for dummies? some of you are reading though these posts, i bet you my life that the crapbox 720 ill have an internal blu-ray drive, or whateva storage media is the standard at the time, think otherwise your a dumba$$

G

I'll admit that Xbox 360's streaming video is convenient. I use it. But its quality pales in comparison to Blu-ray. Their streaming video can't keep up video quality(the images often look compressed), frame rates (videos will often stop and wait for the "stream" to catch up), and there is NO Dolby sound. I do not believe a network of wires, cables, or fiber optics exists that can deliver every household in the country the speed and amount of data that is required to stream at Blu-ray quality (with Dolby sound). For TV shows and old movies, steaming is fine, DVD is better, but if I'm watching a movie worth looking at and listening to, Blu-ray is the only way to go.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
If everyone had very high speed internet (>20Mbs) then I could see the next console being like OnLive - real time streaming of games as you play it. Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to download the entire game, which may delay you hours from playing, depending on your speed.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
BR is an odd technology, because it was obsolete at its inception, yet stays alive through artificial means.

I own a BR player because digital download and DVD quality movies aren't anywhere near the quality of BR yet--but soon it will be. And who enjoys having to get up, fumble through your physical media wallet, insert it into your player (after ejecting the previous) when you could just click a button and have it stream instantly?

BR will die soon. It works for movies ATM, but M$ is right, for games there is no point.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I cant see how MS can avoid using a BR Disc.
The DVD is too small now, as it will be in the future.

They have to have a disc drive or a very large hard drive.
Who wants to download every single game they play?
Does that mean, online only play?

They should know that's what makes the PS3 great - best games and when not a games machine i can watch the latest HD movies

Status
Not open for further replies.