Microsoft Buys Motion-Sensing Firm Canesta

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the mouse and keyboards are here to stay. personally i love the feel of a tactile keyboard and the click of a mouse, it makes it that much better

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
good to see M$ money invested on technology, at least if they dont win the race at least they tried

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
With a dual or triple 30" monitor set up, it would be handy sometimes for an OS or app to know which part of the display I'm looking at.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]the mouse and keyboards are here to stay. personally i love the feel of a tactile keyboard and the click of a mouse, it makes it that much better[/citation]
It doesn't necessarily have to replace keyboards and mice. It can supplement them.

Now for a ridiculous yet hilarious idea - 3D audio visual motion capture passwords! Not only does someone have to look and sound exactly like you, but they have to perform the correct chicken dance too. Now that's security!

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Naw they just bought them so they cant sue them because Microsoft probably stole and used part of there tech in Kinect LOL.
Just Joking, but you know its probably true lol.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
We love our keyboard and mouse because they've been associated with computers since the dawn of time. However, when you think about it, do it really make sense to tap our fingers on little plastic squares? Isn't there any other way to input our controls in a more natural and faster way?

Until motion, voice and thought controls reaches the efficiency of a keyboard and mouse, those peripherals are there to stay. But someday...

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Not to tinfoil hat this topic but am I the only one who sees the parallels between Orwell's 1984 and the TVs with cameras in them to observe people and enforce the "laws" and kinect?

Watch the kinect promo videos and listen to the language being used to describe it's capabilities. It is awesome technology don't get me wrong but in an era where the government intelligence organizations can remotely activate the microphone on your cell phone, this just seems like a precursor to invasive monitoring and statistic gathering. (look at the kind of data kinect can gather about a user and you'll see what I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.