Microsoft Confirms No New Xbox in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]I am so shocked and sad at the same time, I was so looking forward two that beefy 6670/sarcasm[/citation]

the sooner they get the next gen consoles out the sooner we can utilize the hardware we buy for our builds.

i'm still rocking a gtx460

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
When the Wii U comes out, what reason will anyone have to by the Xbox 360? It might change Microsoft's perspective, since they'll be pretty much inferior at everything (not that this will anything new to them, but it's not a monopoly in this situation).

They are surely aware the Wii U will have some impact. It's going to be faster, made by a better company, probably more innovative, and will have a broader audience to get upgrades from. Xbox 360 sells because it's better hardware, but when it's not, and is visibly dated, it's got to have an impact.

Maybe not 2012, but it's got to be soon after, or their sales will dry up, regardless of whether they think Nintendo is a competitor or not.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
They'll probably just get their ass kicked by Sony and there will be more PC focus. That's all. Right now, barely any new games have ANYTHING interesting to offer. In the last half a year, I enjoyed:

1) Witcher 2. Made for PC, great unique gameplay, great graphics, good story.

2) Battlefield 3 - great graphics.

3) Space Marine and Dawn of War - Warhammer 40K and entertaining gameplay.

4) Mass Effect 1/2 - great story, great gameplay, a unique interactive storytelling game

5) Skyrim - enough said

6) Just Cause 2 - Just Great.

Right now, the only thing I'm looking forward to playing is Mass Effect 3 (and moar Skyrim). I don't even want to buy a second 560 Ti despite having the money for it - why would I? 90% of the games that are coming out nowadays are complete junk, not worthy of even being mentioned. They'll have to come up with something worth buying either because of amazing graphics or amazing gameplay with okay (console-level) graphics. In the first case, they'll have to shift to PC and in the second, it doesn't matter if the graphics hang on the console level for a bit more... they can always follow BF3 way and develop for PC then port to console so that everyone is happy.

I'm REALLY wondering why the hell isn't anyone trying to resurrect old franchises like Redline, Populous or Dungeon Keeper. Made with modern graphics, those would sell SO well!

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They'll probably just get their ass kicked by Sony and there will be more PC focus. That's all. Right now, barely any new games have ANYTHING interesting to offer. In the last half a year, I enjoyed: 1) Witcher 2. Made for PC, great unique gameplay, great graphics, good story.2) Battlefield 3 - great graphics.3) Space Marine and Dawn of War - Warhammer 40K and entertaining gameplay.4) Mass Effect 1/2 - great story, great gameplay, a unique interactive storytelling game5) Skyrim - enough said6) Just Cause 2 - Just Great.Right now, the only thing I'm looking forward to playing is Mass Effect 3 (and moar Skyrim). I don't even want to buy a second 560 Ti despite having the money for it - why would I? 90% of the games that are coming out nowadays are complete junk, not worthy of even being mentioned. They'll have to come up with something worth buying either because of amazing graphics or amazing gameplay with okay (console-level) graphics. In the first case, they'll have to shift to PC and in the second, it doesn't matter if the graphics hang on the console level for a bit more... they can always follow BF3 way and develop for PC then port to console so that everyone is happy. I'm REALLY wondering why the hell isn't anyone trying to resurrect old franchises like Redline, Populous or Dungeon Keeper. Made with modern graphics, those would sell SO well![/citation]
Sony used to be the king of consoles ... Then ...

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Wow They really are milking "current" generation HARD this time around comparing to previous generations =/[/citation]probably because it took them so long to make a profit on it... after all them broken returns would put a big dent in there bottom line. i doubt they would want a repeat of that. this time they will hopefully not rush it out and get the build quality correct. the only problem i see is that by the time it arrives pc's will be ready for dx12 or higher while the consoles will be left with dx11 to keep cost down.
after all who wants to pay 600 for hardware thats already or soon to be dated?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this does not surprise me at all....once these so called stupid gamers stop buying their crap maybe the company will develop something better.....why fix something if it's not broken, wait...it is broken, they are just a little slow to fixing it.....milk that cow

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thing that annoys me about consoles is how the hardware that's decided for them, basically decides the quality of games us PC gamers will see. Has anyone else noticed how games graphics advanced to a point... then simply stopped? Look at CoD. Does MW3 look better than MW2? They look the same. Look at the graphics leap of Daggerfall > Morrowind > Oblivion..... now look at Oblivion > Skyrim.

Games consoles are controlling our destiny. It used to be the other way around. We are giving power to companies that want to STOP the sale of used games, or force their users to sign a license agreement wavering their right to take legal action. I still can't get over the fact you have to pay a monthly subscription to Microsoft just to play games over the internet.

I'll probably get rated down for this but come on, am I the only one who hates consoles?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
In later news the average calculator now have the power of the by today standard ancient console hardware while for instance PC make big leaps each year but yet held hostage as few developers devote the time or simply lack the skill to take advantage of it through dx11 + hires textures.

Like Dr.Evil use to say - Console is semi-gaming. Console is quasi-gaming. Console is the margarine of gaming. Console is the Diet Coke of Gaming. Console is just one calorie - Not gaming gfx enough.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]the sooner they get the next gen consoles out the sooner we can utilize the hardware we buy for our builds. i'm still rocking a gtx460[/citation]

Well, a rift is starting to take place. Hopefully we can get some PC exclusive titles from devs bored with the current gen consoles limitations.

[citation][nom]zjhzdhsd4444g[/nom]Im doing fine with a Geforce8800GT @ 1366x768[/citation]

Its funny to look back at my GPU ownership history...

8800GT -> GTX 9800 -> GTX 260 -> GTX 470 -> GTX 580

Meanwhile in console land.

8800GT.... still 8800GT

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
On the other hand, math is on our side.

Lets take BF3.

My PC (2500K/580) run the game at 120FPS (with a 120hz mon) at 1920*1080
A console does it at 30FPS at 1280*720

PC
1980*1080= 2,073,600
2,073,600*120= 248,832,000 pixel/s

Xbox
1280*720= 921,600
921,600*30= 27,648,000 pixel/s

Thus a console pumps out 11.1% of what my PC does. Or, my PC is 9x faster than a Xbox.

G

It's funny but the rumor about the HD6670 being the graphics for the nextgen xbox is comparable to the nvidia 8800GT that I had in my pc years ago. I hope that whenever Microsoft does get around to releasing their nextgen console they aim a little higher than that. Considering that they probably will want to keep that console alive for many years into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.