Microsoft Dubs iPhone 4 as Apple's 'Windows Vista'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skid

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Am I the only person that has never had a problem with Windows Vista? :S Now its starting to make me paranoid.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
wait and see guys, apple will do a conference tomorrow! first time the company doing this. they are in panic mode after their bad customer relationship.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
You're going to take phone advice from the people who brought you Kin? The phone that didn't even last 2 months on the market? Sorry, but MS doesn't have a clue when it comes to making phones or phone OS's for that matter.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Skid[/nom]Am I the only person that has never had a problem with Windows Vista? :S Now its starting to make me paranoid.[/citation]

No, plenty of us didn't. Which actually makes the iPhone 4 to Vista comparison even more accurate. Some people did have problems, those were the most vocal, and it got a bad rep. iPhone 4 is Vista.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]mcforce0208[/nom]This iPhone 4 bashing is just ridiculous already. Its enough now. I have had iphone 4 for 2 weeks now. It is in a case and i have had NO reception problems, the battery life is WAY better than my old 3gs and the pictures its takes are vivid and crisp.[/citation]

And now you know why it's called Apple's Vista. Vista was and still is a fine OS. "Most" people have no issues with it. It got publicly destroyed by the press because "some" users had legitimate problems. It is exactly the same as what is happening to iPhone 4 now.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I used Vista 64bit from the day it was released and never had one issue with the OS. So is it like Vista in that is a perfectly good product that got panned for no good reason at all?

codewarriorfx

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]Let me get this straight... he's admitting Vista sucked? and he thinks that somehow doesn't make Microsoft look bad as well? “Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids”.[/citation]
Well, that makes Microsoft look bad, but it's succesor, Windows 7 rocks! and I hope that Windows Phone 7 will success. But Apple, the issues of the iPhone 4 makes it look bad, but deleting consumer reports of iPhone 4 makes Apple look worst!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Consumer-Reports-Apple-iPhone-Forums-iPhone-4,news-7439.html

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I'm in the same camp as most of you. I used Vista as soon as it came out and had no more problems then I already had on XP. Ya, I got a couple blue screens from poorly written drivers, but you can't really blame MS for third parties not bothering to take the time to write good drivers.

Once SP1 came out I found it to be much more solid and stable then XP ever was. I never understood the bad rap it got. Granted I moved to W7 as soon as I got the chance, but that's just because I like playing around with new tech.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I am no fan of Apple products but a Vista? That's a bit harsh.[/citation]

That depends on whether your view of Vista was positive or negative, and how aware you are of it's undeserved reputation.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Oh, just think of the commercials that Verizon could come up with- iphone vs. droid. That would be great.

(BTW, I happen to be typing this on my business class Dell E6500 laptop with Vista Business, and I like it just fine. I would put this computer, WITH Vista, up against any MB or MBP ever made.)

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Are you sure it's as big as the Window Vista fiasco. Maybe it is only as bad as Windows XP complete-lack-of-security fiasco. Or maybe the Windows ME worthless-upgrade fiasco. Or maybe the Bob stupid product fiacso. Since this is a phone, maybe it is Apple's KIN fiasco. Or since this a piece of hardware, it's Apple's XBox 360 fiasco. In any case, Apple still has fewer fiasco's.

greeve

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I wonder if I should buy the professional edition of the win 7 phone or the ultimate edition. I hear the home edition only lets you use the phone at home....

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rextrendy[/nom]Sorry, not true. People actually want the iPhone, no matter how it performs. I can't think of anyone that wanted Vista after it came out.[/citation]
I used it without much problem till 7 came out, I liked it a lot actually.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mcforce0208[/nom]This iPhone 4 bashing is just ridiculous already. Its enough now. I have had iphone 4 for 2 weeks now. It is in a case and i have had NO reception problems, the battery life is WAY better than my old 3gs and the pictures its takes are vivid and crisp. Along with a host of massive improvements.I compared this phone to my mates HTC desire and if I am completely honest it blows it away in every way. The HTC performs like an antique piece of technology thrown out on yesterday’s garbage heap compared to the iphone 4. Don’t get me wrong HTC are awesome, but just not in the iphone 4’s league. Call me a fanboy, I guess I am. This is based on and excellent user experience.Can i ask have any of you used an iphone 4 for any real length of time? If not, well need I say more?[/citation]
I have used 3GS and iPhone 4 for a good amount of time, and also used quite a few Andriod phones, I prefer the Androids basically cause I like to customize and control what I install on my phone. That is a lot easier to do on an Android phone then an iPhone, as far as speed my friends EVO moves about as fast as the iPhone 4 I was using.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom](BTW, I happen to be typing this on my business class Dell E6500 laptop with Vista Business, and I like it just fine. I would put this computer, WITH Vista, up against any MB or MBP ever made.)[/citation]

Of course you don't have issues with Vista you run a laptop that has the horsepower to make Vista shine. The rest of you that haven't had an issue with Vista did you buy the "Vista Capable" machine of our dreams with it's Celeron CPU and 512MB of RAM that the majority of casual users bought? No you built a rocking system that put all the MS vista system labels to shame. And I bet all you did a fresh bloatware free install right?

MS made two major mistakes with Vista first they didn't work with driver and other software authors to ensure a minimal number of errors when it shipped. It may be the responsibility of the software vendor to make sure the program works but who takes the blame when it doesn't. Two they released these "Capable" and "Ready" and what have you labels that led hapless users to purchase underpowered machines with a ton of bloatware. No wonder the world thought Vista sucked the majority of users never had the hardware to run it.

Apple has made a couple of mistakes with the iPhone4 all of them PR related much like MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.