Microsoft Dubs iPhone 4 as Apple's 'Windows Vista'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]Of course you don't have issues with Vista you run a laptop that has the horsepower to make Vista shine. The rest of you that haven't had an issue with Vista did you buy the "Vista Capable" machine of our dreams with it's Celeron CPU and 512MB of RAM that the majority of casual users bought? No you built a rocking system that put all the MS vista system labels to shame. And I bet all you did a fresh bloatware free install right?MS made two major mistakes with Vista first they didn't work with driver and other software authors to ensure a minimal number of errors when it shipped. It may be the responsibility of the software vendor to make sure the program works but who takes the blame when it doesn't. Two they released these "Capable" and "Ready" and what have you labels that led hapless users to purchase underpowered machines with a ton of bloatware. No wonder the world thought Vista sucked the majority of users never had the hardware to run it. Apple has made a couple of mistakes with the iPhone4 all of them PR related much like MS.[/citation]
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up here. The a good chunk of the drivers when vista first came out were just garbage, especially nVidia's. MS probably should have done a more extensive beta release to root out some of the problems that result from having an OS designed to work on so many hardware permutations (which they did for Win7). The custom built machines I have in my applications lab that run vista x64 (which I needed for dx10) have always run solid and completely crash free from day one when used normally (when I was doing some overclocking for component stress tests I got a few memory crashes). I built them when vista was only a few months old but I made sure the components I chose had good driver support and I had enough system resources (and of course they were bloatfree).

My wife's Toshiba laptop, on the other hand, was underpowered for win vista but it was sold anyway. The laptop was surprisingly bloatfree (I think I only removed one or two programs) and it was stable but it didn't have enough RAM so it was very slow. After I upgraded the RAM to the max the system runs pretty well but it was clear the whole 'Vista Ready/Capable' was a major mistake by MS.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]If the iPhone 4 is Windows Vista, what does that make the Kin? Apple Lisa?[/citation]

I'm gonna have to go with a yes on this

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]6502programmer[/nom]Jacobdrj, what point is he missing? What killer apps are available from the Android store that isn't available on the Apple store?[/citation]

The Android app market will surpass Apple's iTune's app store for the iPhone before the year is out. It was posted on this site just a few days back that sometime around November the Android market will have more apps available than iTunes.

[citation][nom]6502programmer[/nom]Spike53, are you honestly saying that the Android etc. is more secure than the iPhone? Of course having the apps closed off makes a phone more secure, otherwise anyone can write an app that turns out to be malware or a virus. I don't want to have to run antivirus software on my phone, I get enough hassles with that on my PC.[/citation]

I guess you don't pay attention to Pwn2Own. The last competition saw the iPhone get hacked in 20 seconds, faster than anything else on the market. Apple products are the first to fall when it comes to hacking. Apple believes in the protection method of obscurity instead of actual security. If smartphone virii become more common, expect iPhone to be the most trouble ridden as Apple's protection method isn't a protection.

[citation][nom]6502programmer[/nom]Having a closed system on a phone makes sense to me personally, and I haven't yet had any reception problems with my iPhone, it is performs slightly better than my Nokia E71 did as far as reception goes, but maybe the service is just better here in Australia. Honestly, there is an app for everything I want, and for $100 I bought the developers kit and am writing my own. I do think they need to revise the antenna as some people obviously are having problems, but I'm not having any. They give you your money back anyway if you don't like the phone. The day they open up the apps to let anything run that anyone releases on the phone will be the day I look for another closed OS. Same as a Xbox360 or PS3, you just want the programs to run without worrying about compatibilty or viruses. For my PC, I'll stick with Linux, I'm happy to experiment there, but on my phone...not so much.Oh and can we actually discuss stuff like adults? I get tired of seeing people write Crapple and microshaft etc. It is old and makes us sound like 12 year olds.[/citation]

So, you'd rather someone tell you how you should use your phone instead of using your phone how you want to? That's exactly what Apple does with all their products, they tell you how you should use it and think that you cannot be trusted to use the product in a manner of your choosing. Look at the comments and general hubris of Apple, there are plenty of examples out there, do you really want to support a company like that? I, for one, will not.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I don't think iPhone 4 is Apple's Vista. The problems it has are not making it unpopular, just turning it into a joke of sorts. It will still sell though.

G

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. everyone wants to take down the one currently on top. There are so many problems with Windows/Xbox/Office (every version) it's beyond belief that Microsft has anything curt to say on the subject. Being an IT Manager in a Windows exclusive environment for the last 20 years.. I can assure you that Apple is squeaky clean compared to the Gates Empire.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]Let me get this straight... he's admitting Vista sucked? and he thinks that somehow doesn't make Microsoft look bad as well? “Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids”.[/citation]
It's better than apples response of "there is no problem, don't hold the phone that way". MS never said "there's nothing wrong with vista, you just aren't using it right". They realized there were problems and relatively quickly came out with SP's and eventually W7 to fix their mistakes.

And anyway, I actually didn't mind Vista. I had a few hiccups here and there, but for the most part it ran ok. Granted W7 is running better and the upgrade was worth it. But there was more bad press about Vista than it actually being all that bad.
Lastly, I will also say that in Media Center, there is a function that worked BETTER is vista than in Win7 and that's the back button. But I'm getting off on too far of a tangent now.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I think this was a bit of a cheap shot and its comforting to know only one of these idiots had the balls to take a shot like this. I just think in his position its a bit classless. It is true, he just should have let the media say it. That comment in my book is as bad as the clown who will ask "Yeah but will it play Crysis?" when toms posts specs on say.... The Greenest Server.

That picture cracks me up though. Love It!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]I think this was a bit of a cheap shot and its comforting to know only one of these idiots had the balls to take a shot like this. I just think in his position its a bit classless. It is true, he just should have let the media say it. That comment in my book is as bad as the clown who will ask "Yeah but will it play Crysis?" when toms posts specs on say.... The Greenest Server.That picture cracks me up though. Love It![/citation]

How is it a cheap shot that he shouldn't have said when a huge portion of Apple's entire advertising campaign was based on Vista's shortfalls. There were lots of "I'm a PC" commercials that solely targeted Vista and made it out to be the worst OS in existence (forgetting their own pre-OSX crap).

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
iPhone4 is NOT Apple's Vista.

Microsoft LEARNED from Vista and improved their product by releasing 7. Apple will just cover up the same problems all the more fervently in the future.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]I think this was a bit of a cheap shot and its comforting to know only one of these idiots had the balls to take a shot like this. I just think in his position its a bit classless. It is true, he just should have let the media say it. That comment in my book is as bad as the clown who will ask "Yeah but will it play Crysis?" when toms posts specs on say.... The Greenest Server.That picture cracks me up though. Love It![/citation]

Why shouldn't someone at Microsoft take the shot back after all the crap that Apple marketing has thrown at Microsoft using the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials, especially when various aspects of those commercials were proven untrue?

Simply put, Apple is now reaping what they have sown.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
You guys make good points but that doesnt make it right. Satisfying for this guy yes but If it was me I probably would have just smiled and not taken that low road. Let their new Windows 7 phone do the talking. Unless....They are a little nervous about their newest entry. Trust me, he didnt need to make this comment. Its like kicking a dog while its down and Apple is getting beat up pretty badly already. Full Disclosure I hate Apple but i still would have let this be. No need to add fuel to the BonFire.

Plus those commercials did nothing to sway people from buying new PC's with Vista. Microsoft admitted Mistakes with Vista and fixed Vista. Simple minded people tend to forget Vista SP2 isnt that far off from Windows 7 at all. Personally I use both and Xp SP3 as well. All are fine OS's

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@IFLATLINEI

I see nothing wrong with it at all. Considering the number of employees at Microsoft, I'm surprised there has only been one incident so far. Apple JUMPED ALL OVER Microsoft, kicking them while they were down with Vista, taking as much advantage of the situation as they possibly could to grow their own market share and finally break 10% (and still rising).

I still think they are perfectly fine saying what was said.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I get a kick out of people who still bash Vista, Vista was rock solid on my 3 home machines and still is on 12 machines at work.

People who bash Vista have declared their level of intelligence when it comes to Computer OS's.

What are you doing on a tech site anyway?

Maybe someone should have told you that 512mb of memory wouldn't be enough.

Either way, that was an idiotic thing for that COO to say.

I guess you can judge a person's intelligence by their income.

G

Laugh

I think running winblowzz 7 on a phone will be funny. all the Winblowz phones full of viruses..
nothing new here.. as expected just windows 7 unsecure and virus ready.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]I get a kick out of people who still bash Vista, Vista was rock solid on my 3 home machines and still is on 12 machines at work.People who bash Vista have declared their level of intelligence when it comes to Computer OS's.What are you doing on a tech site anyway?Maybe someone should have told you that 512mb of memory wouldn't be enough.Either way, that was an idiotic thing for that COO to say.I guess you can judge a person's intelligence by their income.[/citation]

Vista had a bad reputation. Many people thought it was bad because of tons of 3rd party drivers that were badly written for it. Regardless of the cause or people finding out the causes, it kept its bad reputation until Windows 7. That is what people are referring to, even the MS employee.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
A few weeks ago, I tried my old copy of Vista on my backup machine... Worked fine til I defragged the hard drive, where of course, the drive blew. It was a Seagate .11 series so... Yeah, who knows which to blame there (the replacement drive is running the replacement xp I bought for the machine).

As for iPhone 4, Apple engineers made a mistake when it comes to exposing the antenna to peoples hands (even though the elegant design is a brilliant set of engineering). A rudimentary Antenna engineering mistake, in exposing the antenna to peoples skin. Their biggest problem has been admitting it, offering free bumpers, and moving on.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Of course, now that there are law suits and class action litigation, it makes it nearly impossible for Apple to admit the mistake, because it would basically be saying "I'm guilty" in those suits. They would need to settle all litigation before they publically admitted an engineering error.

Status
Not open for further replies.