Microsoft Explains Why WP7 Update Bricked Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Bricked to me, means the phone is useless unless taken to a dealer for them to redo the software, what is being said here, seems to be just a lockup/lockout of the phone just requiring a reset by pulling the power out (IE turning it off and on again like a computer) or hitting the reset button. not a "bricking" as such, unless my definition of the term is incorrect.

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
90% who tried the update.. that 90 of ALL USERS THAT bought the WP7 as some bad reporters and fanbois were screaming about.
And most of those just had to reboot their machine or take their battery out. Its not like the iphone where if its bricked... theres no way to take the battery out.

This is not even a fraction of the problem iphone had with its own updates, 3.1 in particular, or the 10s of thousands that screwed up their update with froyo.

G

Headline: Microsoft Explains Why [...]
Article: we still don't know [...] why

See the problem with this?

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
LoL, we are back to windows 95 days. Now it's repeating all over again, just on cell phones. So in 5-10 years we should finally see a working product. Till then don't update, loooool. Bad bad Microsoft. no no no.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"insufficient computer storage space".....it's a cell phone not a computer....that guy really needs to look for a new job

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Beware of Samsung smartphones!

I had a Samsung phone prior to switching. It came with Windows Mobile 6.1 (or 6.2). A lot of the features of the phone and features of the OS were crippled by Samsung rushing the phone to market. Things just didn't work or worked poorly. So what does Samsung do, they just move onto another model and stop advertising this one, which doesn't help the many thousands of owners that are stuck with a 2 year contract. When MS came out with an update to Windows Mobile 6.5, other manufacturers made it available to their customers for upgrades, but Samsung didn't. Overall I think Samsung makes pretty good products, but if you get one of their products that they took less care in manufacturing, they will forget about you and you are on your own.

G

Not sound like a Microsoft fanboy (if there is such a thing) but almost every single iPhone or iTunes update I ever completed screwed something up on my phone or computer. So I'm not surprised that this update has issues. Nor am I surprised that it's on Samsung devices. Although I love my Focus, I already had to have it replaced once because apparently pushing the camera and on button simultaneously cause some kind of irreparable software issue and I'm sure that these update issues are an extension of that problem.

G

[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]"insufficient computer storage space".....it's a cell phone not a computer....that guy really needs to look for a new job[/citation]

You need to update the phone from PC, it copies data from phone to PC as Backup during process, so not enough space on PC then update fails, SIMPLES!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
kevin, do you know what a brick is? you know the ones made of clay that do nothing FOREVER
'bricking' means exactly that, to NEVER work again, like the 10,000+ iphones that are only good for paperweights due to the 3.1 patch!
As previously reported,(by kevin parrish) the minor update literally "bricked" around 10-percent of the WP7 smartphones currently on the market
kevin this kind of reporting is going to brick your writing career, well except maybe at star magazine, where this type of reporting fits right in at home.

cite yet again another example of why automatic updates are bad and to thus let other people test them for a week or two first.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]"insufficient computer storage space".....it's a cell phone not a computer....that guy really needs to look for a new job[/citation]
You don't understand the update process. Next time, before you run off at the mouth about someone needing to leave their job, try to do a little reading. You hook the phone up to a computer so that the phone can be backed up and then updated. This is similar to Apple deploying updates via iTunes. If the PC doesn't have sufficient free space to back up the data on the phone, the update fails. That doesn't mean the phone is bricked.

In fact, out of the 10% with problems updating, probably only a fraction actually had their phones truly bricked (phone dead, can not fix with a hard reset). But the media likes to be sensational and to report the "facts" before the facts are out.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]I remember Garmin's web updated used to brick GPSes due to bad Internet connection.[/citation]I've never had a Garmin unit brick during an update, never heard of them bricking "due to a bad internet connection" either. Usually updaters like that download all the data locally before they try to transfer anything. So unless they got a corrupt or incomplete file, I don't know.

I have had one Garmin unit fail to update. I discovered that it didn't like the unpowered USB hub I was using at the time. If you were to power the unit up after a failed update you might see no map data and go "OH NOES! TEH BRICKZZZ!" However. after bypassing the unpowered USB hub in question it updated just fine.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]You need to update the phone from PC, it copies data from phone to PC as Backup during process, so not enough space on PC then update fails, SIMPLES![/citation]
how big is the freaking update?....i am sure that most people have at least 5gb of free space

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]I've never had a Garmin unit brick during an update, never heard of them bricking "due to a bad internet connection" either. Usually updaters like that download all the data locally before they try to transfer anything. So unless they got a corrupt or incomplete file, I don't know.I have had one Garmin unit fail to update. I discovered that it didn't like the unpowered USB hub I was using at the time. If you were to power the unit up after a failed update you might see no map data and go "OH NOES! TEH BRICKZZZ!" However. after bypassing the unpowered USB hub in question it updated just fine.[/citation]

how big is the freaking update?....i am sure that most people have at least 5gb of free space

Status
Not open for further replies.