Microsoft Files Patent For 1.4 Gigapixel Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]HoLeeCRAP!With that kind of res I could take a picture of someones face, then zoom in to a moleculeIf that was a 16x9 aspect ratio that would be 1,120,000,000 x 840,000,000[/citation]
Actually you would zoom into a blurry cluster of pixels. You would need to use different lenses and at much closer distance for a microscope effect.

scout62

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Before the Iphone, where were the smart phones?[/citation]

I guess Symbian, Palm OS, BlackBerry & Windows Mobile didn't exist before Apple came along eh?

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
maddad

Seriously R U an idiot troll...

R Ur apple branded rose tinted glasses blocking YOUR hitorical view...becasue what you have said is pure rubish.

look at companies like palm, nokia, blackberry.

HTC/Foxcomm who make Ur ibranded products and were manufacturing products years before they made anything for apple.

They cannot even think up original names either. Ipod is nothing like HP's iPAQ which came out years before the ipod, no similarities at all....Iphone name they did ot own (stolen then bought) Ipad name they did not own (stolen then bought),

Apple are very good at marketing and creating nice to use products but they have invented very little but use everyone elses tech then patent it as a product

It's a bit like me taking a Porche engine, a BMW chassis, and then calling it my own product. They don't even assemble the products.

BTW apple iOS is UNIX based take a look.

Please visit Wikipedia.net just to check out Ur Facts, as u look like a fool.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Before the Iphone, where were the smart phones? Before the Mac where were the computers using icons, before the Ipad where where were the Zooms, Galaxy Tabs, Touchpads? Before the Mac Air where were the superthing laptops?No I am not a fanboy! Infact I do not now nor have I ever owned a single apple product. But why does everone else wait for apple to see what they are selling and them come to the market with a similar product of their own. Why are they never first and apple is playing catchup???[/citation]
I suppose no one ever used the Apple logo before either, unless you count the Beatles
I suppose no one ever used the menu system on the iPod, unless you count the Creative Zen
I suppose no one even used the iPhone name before, unless you count Linksys/Cisco
I suppose no one ever had a smartphone before the iPhone, unless you count the Palm Treo from 2002
I'm not saying you are a fanboi, i'm just saying you are wrong

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"To improve the image quality, the patent filing discusses a a video camera that provides a field of view larger than that of the lens, a cooling system to cool the ambient air inside the [camera] housing as well as "a light source synchronized with the digital sensor to illuminate a tile image from different angles or different spectrum at each step to reduce the time to capture the tile images with different illumination."

3 questions:

1) How hot will be inside the camera housing, what kind of cooling system will include?

2) How much will this cameras weight?

3) Only one lens or will we be able to use inter-changeable lenses?

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
One other thing Why is apple a USA company not using the labour market in the USA to assemble its iproducts, that really puzzles my UK mind. Whats the point of having such a huge corporate using labour force that is not able to buy its products. In the end this mentality will destroy the market that is purchasing it full price products. I know that they are not the only comany doing this, but is it right to do this in the first place.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]craig_1000[/nom]One other thing Why is apple a USA company not using the labour market in the USA to assemble its iproducts, [/citation]
Because the average foreign worker is paid less than the average US worker spends on his lunch.
If Apple went 100% native and used American workers with all the associated pensions, wage rates, holidays, etc an iPad would cost about $2000.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Back on subject, this camera is more than double the power of the dark energy camera, it remind me of a passage from Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams:-
For a long period of time there was much speculation and controversy about where the so-called "missing matter" of the Universe had got to. All over the Galaxy the science departments of all the major universities were acquiring more and elaborate equipment to probe and search the hearts of distant galaxies, and then the very center and the very edges of the whole Universe, but when eventually it was tracked down it turned out in fact to be all the stuff which the equipment had been packed in.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Now put it in a webcam. >Joking. I actually wonder if they will make it, and if they will lease out time to college and universities.[/citation]
i don't think that your internet would be able to handle all the data...webcam would be a failure...they need to put this in a cell phone....i am so tired of having crappy cams on cell phones...the technology is out there, we are just used to being satisfied with crap that's built all over the world but not in the USA.....

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Back on subject, this camera is more than double the power of the dark energy camera, it remind me of a passage from Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams:-[/citation]

He does have a unique wit about him, doesn't he?

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
ummmm....are we seriously doing an Apple/Microsoft rage over a camera?

Anyway, Cool! That's gotta produce some huge images. I also wonder if they'll take this a step down and make a video camera for 8K/4K.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"One other thing Why is apple a USA company not using the labour market in the USA to assemble its iproducts, that really puzzles my UK mind."

In addition to cheap labor, there is also the part where many of the components are made in Eastern Asia, so it probably makes some sense to assemble there?

Best I can tell, here are the largest UK companies that manufacture anything:

Unilever- they have plants all over the world, including China.

British American Tobacco- Italy, Turkey, Indonesia, North Korea, formerly in Burma and Latvia. Closed their last UK plant in 2007.

Diageo- As far as I can tell, nearly all products from UK [Captain Morgan, in PR, is the only exception I see]

BAE Systems- has plants in the US, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sweden, Austrialia and Kazakhstan

SABMiller -- appears to have breweries in dozens of countries on six continents.

Why don't these UK companies produce all of their products in the UK?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Because the average foreign worker is paid less than the average US worker spends on his lunch.If Apple went 100% native and used American workers with all the associated pensions, wage rates, holidays, etc an iPad would cost about $2000.[/citation]
Thumbed down why?
Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat.
Nothing has changed since Apocolypse Now

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Probably needs a terabyte hdd attached for storage, theres now way you'll get very many pictures on even a 64 GB SD card.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Well, the raw files are likely to be somewhere around 4GB each with 24-bit color. As a jpeg though, maybe a couple hundred MB? 64GB would probably get you 150-200 jpegs and 16 TIFFs... [about Granted, by the time this is built and available, I'm sure you'll get 256GB cards for what a 64GB costs now so you'd be looking at like 700 compressed vs 60 uncompressed.

Right now, on Newegg.com, 64GB SD cards, class 10, are $135; For a camera that will almost certainly be many thousands of dollars, I don't think the person buying it is going to bat an eye. at spending $500 on 4x256GB cards, if they intend on needing raw TIFFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.