Microsoft Files Patent for Dragable Tabs in Browsers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sounds like Apple's ways are catching on.[/citation]
Microsoft has been doing these sorts of patents for decades. It is not anything new.
Remember they have tried to claim the rights to Linux and Bill gates believed in using patents and copyrights (not tech) to keep anyone from competing.

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
If MSFT sues if granted this patent this will be a problem. Otherwise they are just protecting themselves. Only Apple sues to remove the competition from the market. MSFT at least grants a license.

G

Considering that Firefox was first to do this and MS quickly added it on to their IE8 browser, I'd say they're behind the curve here.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
What I would REALLY like is if some browser would allow me to pull a tab off a tab bar, drag it to the side of my screen, and Aero Snap it to the side in one motion. I'm not aware of any browser that can do this. Right now when I happen upon two pages that I want to compare side-by-side, I need to rip the tab off the bar, let it grow into a window, then drag the window to snap it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]What if Opera (or who invent the tabs) patent the tabs in browsers?[/citation]
Actually InternetWorks was the first web browser with tabs.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Funny. When It's Microsoft or some other company it's considered to be general and not enforceable but when it's Apple, it's allowed.

G

I remember being able to do the tab thing with Firefox before being able to do with with IE.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]I think that Apple or MS bought that patent from Xerox as part of GUI patents package.[/citation]
Xerox never patented it, so Apple took it, then Microsoft did it too
Apple cried foul and said "you stole our idea"
Actually you stole a Xerox idea, 2 wrongs don't make a right but let's just get all the facts straight

Status
Not open for further replies.