Microsoft Files Suit Against TiVo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]I'm connected with Tivo as in they provide upcoming scheduling info but that's it. I would be impressed to know how that is done without phone or ethernet.[/citation]
Since my Panasonic doesn't have a ATSC tuner, I have to go online to see a schedule and then program the timer to the line-in my dtd box is connect to. Since I now have a Dish Network 722K dvr, I mostly use the Panny to burn dvd's.

The Channel Master is made by Echostar and uses Echostars menu (modified TVGOS?). I have no idea what the Magnavox uses. Although dtv stations are required to have schedule info in their signal. My Magnavox dta can get ota info for a couple of hours down the road.

I had thought, even with a lifetime sub, Tivo requires conectivity for their units to operate.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]I had thought, even with a lifetime sub, Tivo requires conectivity for their units to operate.[/citation]

It doesn't require it but it will get useless pretty fast without it. It caches I think like 2 weeks of programming data. It will start griping after that and basically just give you a channel line up but it will still work. (you can still rent from amazon.com and all that too)

There are software updates once in a great while but otherwise no need to stay connected all the time.

Really I'm not sure I would own a TiVo if I didn't have that lifetime sub. $20 / month is bullcrap to pay for channel lineups that Microsoft Media Center and others offer for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.