Microsoft Fires Back at Xbox Live Lawsuit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Modders also run afoul of the DMCA with making copies of copyrighted works(games). While it may be legal to have the copy of the game, having the modded xbox that can make those copies is not. Even if it doesn't make the copies its self its most likely in violation of some hardware/software patent not to mention the EULA. There is no legal footing for the modders to stand on here really.

G

I have only ever played on Live once. That was when i first got my XBox and decided to play hockey. My phone rang...and pausing was disabled. I answered the phone not knowing how to tell the guy I was on the phone. Needless to say, I got a negative ranking as being "unsportsmanlike" ... so, to hell with that. I got better things to do online than take a "reputational hit" by a 13 year old. My XBox has NEVER played a game online being modded. So personally, the ban in my mind is not about protecting the integrity of the service as they say.

Beyond that, I have only ever used live to download content. A few hundred dollars worth over the last 2 years might I add. In order to get more, I have to buy a new box. And that doesn't even so much bother me as the fact that they have crippled functionality in the XBox inherent to the Xbox. They went BEYOND their mandate of "ensuring the integrity of Live"...what does the media center have to do with that? What does installing to the hard drive have to do with that?

They are merely trying to force people into spending more money on hardware by exceeding their so-called mandate.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]brantdk[/nom]I had my Xbox banned even though it hasnt been on for 3 week. The first Time I turned it on since I came home from vacation, it said that I was ban. Fair enoug as it was modded. I dont play on Live anyways. BUT that gives MS no right to corrupt my hard disk or messing around with the Xbox as a extender. The violation of the Xbox Live Terms of Use is for LIVE and not for anything else. I have purschase the xbox and should be able to use it as I find best. If Im not allow to use thier online service, so be it but dont mess around with what I use it for on my intern network...[/citation]
Unfortunantely the xbox its self came with an agreement that stated no mods.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
The XBOX is a great system, I never even considered modding it. Why mess with a good thing?...other than to steal games anyway. I'm fine with piracy actually, but I'm also fine with busting people who do it, don't come crying or getting mad at MS - they're just protecting their bottom line and online community. Who wants to play online against cheaters and modded games? No one.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Spank182[/nom]I have only ever played on Live once. That was when i first got my XBox and decided to play hockey. My phone rang...and pausing was disabled. I answered the phone not knowing how to tell the guy I was on the phone. Needless to say, I got a negative ranking as being "unsportsmanlike" ... so, to hell with that. I got better things to do online than take a "reputational hit" by a 13 year old. My XBox has NEVER played a game online being modded. So personally, the ban in my mind is not about protecting the integrity of the service as they say. Beyond that, I have only ever used live to download content. A few hundred dollars worth over the last 2 years might I add. In order to get more, I have to buy a new box. And that doesn't even so much bother me as the fact that they have crippled functionality in the XBox inherent to the Xbox. They went BEYOND their mandate of "ensuring the integrity of Live"...what does the media center have to do with that? What does installing to the hard drive have to do with that? They are merely trying to force people into spending more money on hardware by exceeding their so-called mandate.[/citation]
I'm not sure what your complaint is. Is it that you needed to get a new hard drive because you ran out of space? You can hookup and external t the system for some content. Im not sure what the limilt is for that beyound that it has to be FAT.

G

Interestingly enough...

I signed on to download a Guitar Hero song and got an update instead. Crap. Oh well, gotta do it. My machine rebooted. I immediately got a RROD. I took it apart and did an X-Clamp fix. RROD gone. Happy days. Fired it up again...YOU BE BANNED!

Interesting...interesting indeed ;)

brantdk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Unfortunantely the xbox its self came with an agreement that stated no mods.

This deosnt give MS the right to mess with my personal HD or turn off Extender features.. As stated the Hardware is mine as I purchased it and not lease it from Microsoft. I do not use their network for gaming so no burden on their service. I cant see that they have the right to turn off standard functions when I dont burden their paid services.

G

The complaint is: you cannot install games to the hard drive anymore. Period. They MUST be run from disc. Copied....legit...it don't matter. They just cannot be installed.

Wierd...everytime I post as Spank182 an error occurs.

G

zak...YOU ARE WRONG! Once the console is banned it says it is unsupported by that game. If you try to play one already installed to the HD it says that that isn't the machine it was installed on.

Trust me...I know. It is documented widely across the internet as a result of the ban and I am experiencing it first hand on a 130" 720 projected screen (thus, I am pretty sure I am reading it right!)

brantdk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I have seen that there is a hack to get a banned HD back to life. That´s a step in the right direction. I think that MS should be sued for illegal entry. I feel that they broke into my house and rip data from my computer. The only differnce is that they can hide behind their EULA. Keep you network but stay the hell out of my private property.

G

Hmmm, I guess somewhere in the EULA I've signed away my right to privacy as well as the right that protects me from unreasonable search and seizure. Since when does Corporate America have the right to come in to my house, search for what ever they need and seize it?
If the MS service is automatically querrying my Xbox looking for something wrong, then obviously they've already made the assumption that there is something wrong. Since my Xbox is not modified; I guess they owe me an apology for Invading my privacy and searching my system...There's the lawsuit.

freshvenom

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I say keep banning them and if by chance the hackers win I will sue them for ruining game experiences. Hey lets all sue the firm for protecting hackers and modders and they passably may be the same hackers that put that virus on your computer. Microsoft Ban the hackers and law firm protecting the hackers get a life and go after legitimate cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.