Microsoft: Free Antivirus, Addresses Fake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Well if it's as good as Symantec or McAfee, it must be a big old Microsoft placebo. I'm sure it will be light years ahead of those two, but not others like Kaspersky. I've seen heavily infected systems with both and they don't find jack. I don't think people would even use them if they weren't crammed down people's throats at Best Buy.

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I think microsoft should have every right to develop antivirus software to protect its operating system. It's only a shame that they haven't been doing this from the start.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I can tell you as a computer technician i have been cleaning computers for 25 years that the reason why onecare bombed is because it is buggy also nortons,mcafee,bitdefender and others are defeated by simple rootkits.

I spend more time removing these av's than anything else norton's detection rate is the worst on the market mcafee while not a memory hog is not much better either.

AVG and avast are ok but are easily defeated by these rogue av's even with current versions and updates it cannot remove these threats.

Nod32, kaspersky, Panda have the best protection atm with threatfire also installed protects you better.

AVG or Avast are good IF you also install treatfire because of the ability to detect and remove rootkits and zero day trojans/worms/viruses.

If Microsofts new av cannot pickup rootkits it will be just as useless and nortons and mcafee.

To have a good av it MUST be able to pickup and remove rootkits otherwise it cannot protect your computer properly.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Again another Microsoft dilema. If it make the great antivirus software than it call monopoly. If it make bad antivirus that it call usual bad microsoft made program. Microsoft Antivirus has been made since Dos MsAV. In Windows era it stop. Back with One Care and FrontLine for enterprise. It really really difficult become a Microsoft.

erafael

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've been using Avira AntiVir Personal and it works like a charm.It's free and I never had any performance issues with it. Detects all the crap incl. rootkits without any problems.I wouldn"t switch to MS antivirus at the early stage - let them prove themselves first.Then, maybe...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... it is funny... if you are a windows user, there is no way, that you don't use a proper antivirus, and it costs...
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
... and not just antivirus is needed... common sense is useful too...
... there is alternatives... OSX or LINUX...

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... it is funny... if you are a windows user, there is no way, that you don't use a proper antivirus, and it costs... http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/... and not just antivirus is needed... common sense is useful too... ... there is alternatives... OSX or LINUX...[/citation]
When I am in windows... I use avast... which is free. When wine can run all windows programs and games flawlessly... I'll switch over for good.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]rockabye[/nom]When I am in windows... I use avast... which is free. When wine can run all windows programs and games flawlessly... I'll switch over for good.[/citation]
... avast, avira, avg free edition and all cracked and free antivirus versions is more work for me... so i don't complain... there was a virus, a trojan circling the skype... called hahahaseeyourmomnaked.pif... all that had the avg free edition and avast got infected... so you know, witch don't use a good antivirus... but, if you are skilled to do a reinstall everytime when a virus, malware, trojan, worm messes up you pc... nice...

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
morro-nic? Mainly in reference to the fact that the EU will sue MS over this. I'm surprised they haven't sued them for the malicious software removal tool.

That being said there should be some sort of basic anti-virus that comes with an OS. The odds that it would cut too much into the dedicated anti-virus is slim as the people that would benefit from this are the ones without anti-virus currently.

People interested in security would still pick up a good firewall and anti-virus, especially since people would be focusing on morro and not on Norton or AVG.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Considering that Windows is the most used OS, thus the most targeted for viruses and the like, I find it logical that Microsoft would release an antivirus software. And for free? Microsoft is finally giving back to the customers. Maybe it will be better than AVG or Avast. Maybe not. It's free anyway so if no one will be forcing you to use it. I just hope it won't be part of Windows like IE or Media Player is so if I don't want to use it, I'll be stuck with it anyway.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It's called Ghost...

I don't care if i get a virus, i just format and image the machine again.
All important data is stored externally, plugged in only for storing and retrieving.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Well holy crap. We have a real veteran on our hands then. That means you've been cleaning Ill intent software since before windows, the internet, large scale networks, and hell, even the first in the wild virus ever written! It's a real honor. Nod32, kaspersky, Panda all have dubious records for threat detection performance with Nod32 only having trouble recently. Norton('s' as you put it), Mcafee both have rootkit detection, and I can attest that it's much better than many others. Infact, most serious AV's have rootkit detection. But that's clearly not the problem in this scenario. Infact, I'm fairly certain that 99% of the instances we see of this rouge software is the result of human error. And Threatfire 1)Does what almost every other major AV does already, and is usually not as good at that function. And 2) Does NOT have zero day protection. I dont doubt you've been a doityourselfer for the last 8-10 years, but spare us your bullcrap next time. Hands down, the best security protection suite on the market is Symantec's EndPoint Protection. Buy it, Use it, Forget about it.[/citation]

1) I guess your a mind reader or psychic.
2) I have had my own business for 20 years.
3) My guess is your just a kid.
4) Nobody in there right mind would buy an enterprise product for home use.
5) Do you work for Symantec by chance?
6) Better have a closer look at Threatfire and read its cloud detection.

[/quote]ThreatFire continually protects your PC against attacks by detecting malicious behavior, such as capturing your keystrokes or stealing your data, instead of only looking for known threats like normal antivirus software. By implementing sophisticated real-time behavioral analysis ThreatFire is able to stop never- before-seen "zero-day" threats solely by detecting their malicious activity.[/quote]

Check your facts before posting or are you just a troll........

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]It's called Ghost...I don't care if i get a virus, i just format and image the machine again.All important data is stored externally, plugged in only for storing and retrieving.[/citation]Make sure you have autorun turned off. I've had some nasty experiences with viruses that rely on it to spread through removable media.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]I've got a better idea... why not make their OS impervious to viruses? I know that could have a negative affect on the IT industry as dealing with malicious software takes up about 60-70% of IT support's time these days but hey!.. it's not like I'm asking them to make it stable too...[/citation]
They tried this by locking down the Kernel in Vista....Mcaffee and Symantec sued them over it (both of these companies were installing their antivirus INTO the kernel..bad idea since when Microsoft updates IT'S kernel the antivirus could cause blue screens). I think Microsoft had to teach them how to write non-kernel antivirus as part of the suit...so, yeh, Microsoft should know at least as well as McAffee and Symantec how to write antivirus

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Why don't they just make a OS that is actually secure, Oh, thats right they would have to go to the UNIX platform like Linux, and OS X. The FEDS who are partners with MS since they dropped the lawsuit against MS all those years ago want the back doors and a swiss cheese OS there so they own you.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Macafee is the most annoying thing I've ever seen. I got a free copy when I just bought a new computer and uninstalled it the first day. After 50 pop up windows warning me about crap that doesn't matter in the course of 30 minutes it was time to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS