Microsoft, It's Time To Retire Windows

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]raurelian[/nom]I wonder why Windows/Apple/Linux OS news spark such "heated" discussions[/citation]
Because it's the base piece of software that all of our other programs run on?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I said it before I will skip windows 8 same way that I skipped windows vista and windows me.

right now what I would like is an OS "so powerful" that could run ALL my old games from DOS, Win 3.1, Win95 all the way to today's games under one "roof".

I can dream....

G

I really didn't seem to care for any new windows version (XP, Vista, 7) after I started on
windows 98. But I really came to love both XP and 7 (Vista sucks).

I can honestly say this won't be the first time I'll be hating on a new windows build, but I really
really don't think I'll warm up to this in time either. I'll be sticking with windows 7 I think.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
@g00ey Tell that to apple users. Mac OS has it so you don't even have to specify anything when you install a program. With a mac just click install done. No knowledge required to use a Mac lol. Guess what I am trying to say is yes I agree with you but the majority of the people would probably disagree with you. This is why Linux remains 1% of the desktop market share. Not saying we should have a dumb down windows Its the users that are dumb down to the point they need Steve Job's hand to help find "the light" lol.

G

Fairly ignorant article. Is this written entirely based on a screenshot? If you've seen videos of Windows 8, you would know that the tile-based interface is not mandatory. Windows Explorer is still there.. in fact they are updating it in a few ways (such as Office-like ribbon actions in explorer windows). Don't understand why you are balking at this feature. It's obviously meant for tablets or touchscreen devices. You don't have to use this feature if you don't like it. Unnecessary to spread FUD about Win8 before it's even in beta.

G

That pretty much looks like Windows Media Center, quite frankly if that's how it is going to be, i will stick to windows 7 for as long as i can/.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
@MarioJP: The major reason why Linux has such a small desktop market share is simply because "Content is King". There is a lot of good software for Linux but there is also a lot missing. If I could play all DirectX games, use all Adobe and Autodesk products on Linux and all drivers were as smooth and well optimized as under Windows I would throw that freaking thing from my computer and switch to Linux long time ago.

But I think that more and more software will be available for Linux eventually and I think we will live to see better hardware support as well. I'm not sure though whether this is the right forum to discuss the details.

I'm not going to deny that Linux has a steep learning curve if you really want to learn the inner works of that operating system. It is not as messed up as Windows but there is a jungle of packages that are anything but intuitive to understand. Also the window managers such as Gnome, KDE et al are good at managing windows but when it comes to adjusting hardware settings and understanding the inner workings of Linux they indeed leave one h3ll of a lot to wish for.

If there is any operating system to look up to it should actually be AmigaOS. Within AmigaOS there is something called intuition. This basically means that even the innards of the operating system was designed so that they should be easy to understand at a first glance without having to read the manual. It has a very clear directory structure and files have very clear and descriptive names. Libraries are stored in Libs:, device drivers in Devs:, command line executable in C:, startup scripts in S: (that are most commonly located in SYS:libs, SYS:devs, SYS:c, SYS:s,..) and so on. For example a library that contains routines for handling jpegs is called jpeg.library or jfif.library and a device driver for the mouse may be called logitechX100.device and so on. Block devices are not mounted as A:, B: C:, instead you are free to choose any name such as DVD: HD: or Sysdisk: or whatever. The disk that you boot from can always be accessed as SYS:, from its device name: or from its label name:. There are powerful tools to trace problems and it doesn't take long before you become an expert user if you have that aspiration.

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
THIS is ONLY 1 GUI available primarily for TABLETS! Do some research first Toms! The explorer function actually looks quite good. Google It!

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
THIS is ONLY 1 GUI available primarily for TABLETS! Do some research first Toms! The explorer function actually looks quite good. Google It!

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm actually glad this is happening!!! You people are all worried about them taking out the traditional GUI! THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!! There are too many businesses that require a more traditional setup. They will most likely have an option to revert to Windows. This is for the basic stuff here. People who arent computer savy(most people) will love this because it simplifies everything! People who are will love it while they are doing basic operations. Personally, I think this is awesome! Using Kinect tech will lead the way to computers looking like they do in Sci-fi movies. Somebody earlier mentioned Minority Report, I thought of that movie the first time I used Kinect and to have PC's do that... BALLS TO THE WALL MAN!!! But... I will ALWAYS have need for the tried and true desktop and "M$" knows that! Watch the video, the guy mentions that you can switch back and forth.
I think the majority of america will love this new simplified take on the OS, and the ones that don't can upgrade and turn those features off. Much like you can make 7 look like windows 98!! And if you turn them off and still dont like that they are on your PC at all....at least there is a forum online where you can complain about it!!!!

G

Wonder how many people are looking at this article and are asking themselves...

When did Windows 7 come out....

Is Microsoft doing monthly updates? In that case I'm looking for to Windows 14 at Christmas

desdecardo

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Unfortunately, the number one disabled windows feature is aero, stupid widgets and UAC. Windows 8 looks like a genetic experiment between Aero, Widgets and Windows Phones went horribly wrong. Microsoft has gotten too big to realize that some features and products *they* love is not what the majority of their consumers love. They did this with Vista. Try to change things and fail miserably and have to go back to the basics just to make people happy.

To the blogger... the UI, as we know it, has been around a lot longer than windows 95. There were a few U.I.s that ran on the C64/Amiga/128 hardware that did have a centralized application/settings button (what became a start bar). For microsoft to try to change something that has been around for as long as I have had a computer (mid 80s) it really isnt right or good business sense.

Windows 8 is just another reason to switch over to Linux. Market share of linux builds increased dramatically after Vista. Who knows with this. Already causing me to look at moving 800 enterprise level pieces of hardware over to Linux. I dont want to support this garbage.

G

I loved Windows 98se. I never had a single problem with it. Now I'm stuck with Win 7, and after a rocky start we've come to an agreement. To whoever made the comment about not being able to 'keep up' with advances, it's not that, it's that every single program I have and use regularly has to be replaced for each successive version of Windows. I've been a user since the days of DOS, pre Windows 3.1, and I'm seriously fed up with the constant "improvements" that aren't but still require me to buy newer and newer versions of the programs I want. Because of the "let's make some upgrades and make more $$ from the necessary program upgrades as well" I refuse to pay MS for anything I don't absolutely have to. I may have to pay for newer and newer versions of WordPerfect, but I'll be damned if I pay for MSWord once.

G

After years of Mac-bashing, I think I'm finally going to scrap my plans to wait for windows 8 before buying a new PC, go to the computer shop and purchase A Macbook. I swear this is the same crap used by windows phone? The same crap which made me go and buy a blackberry torch instead?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
On the other hand, I'd like you to stop making nonsense claims, but that isn't going to happen, is it now?

I don't get why people don't realize this interface is only meant for tablets and slates. Have you all lost your ability to read?

G

The interface that has been shown so far is just the new start screen which can be turned off so you will go straight to the new desktop as usual. This will be the front end of the Tablet version but not so on traditional PCs. I very much doubt the core UI will depart from the usual start menu and desktop interface.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Google Chrome looks simple when it opens to the New Tab Page, but when you use it, you realize it's actually great. I'm hoping the Tile Interface is just like that--convenient to access what you use most, but still the same functionality under the hood. And hopefully it will allow a lot more customization than the New Tab page.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]MarioJP[/nom]hahaha I like that comparison haha. Windows 7 is going to be the new classic coke. Apple is Pepsi hahah Linux is some odd flavor of different kinds lol.[/citation]If Windows is Coke and Apple is Pepsi, then Linux is tap water--practically free, good for you, and lacking a bunch of junk that people are hooked on. That said, if I add a bit of rum to my coke, it's much more enjoyable than water. But I'm not sure what that means.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]MarioJP[/nom]The fact that OSX Lion requires minimum 2GB of ram on a mac just to run it while Windows 7 requires 1GB of ram to run it on the PC. Who's bloated now lol.[/citation]
Both are awfully bloated. Even if you have 6 cores and 8GB RAM it will still leach >10% of system resources. For the case you're 1 of the millions who use Win7 on a netbook you'll have constant swapping, lack of responsiveness and poor battery life. For the case you use a low-end Apple, forget about Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.