Microsoft, It's Time To Retire Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Windows" might not be the most accurate name for Windows 8. But then there's Apple...

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
The problem is that damn MS is so big now they have gotten out of touch with reality...
Not speaking of all the things that MS is up to but a lot..
All these acquisitions and ventures off into 'non MS' areas of technology is just too too much.
Someone needs to gets these guys under control.
Forcing newer software versions upon us even strongly against the consumers will.
I can continue on but I must say that I like Win7....:D
This also why I do not or try to not pay for MS 'technologies'..

G

Microsoft has said its just an overlay.. Like Windows Media Center. Windows 8 is still behind it, and judging by the footage I've seen.. looks the same as Windows 7 right now.

flipt

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
If the "tiles" are just an interface, I don't see why they cannot provide the ability for the users to switch to an alternate "classic" interface and do so interchangeably. They may not want to provide this to move in the direction they want and that is their choice. In this case, I will stick with Windows 7 as well.

On the side, the Win 8 interface reminds me more of "windows" than the current interface. I don't think it is a hard bridge to cross and I would not expect MS to change the brand.

G

But it still IS Windows. If you watch the Windows 8 video, when he moves away from the stupid tile interface it still looks just like Windows 7 underneath. So if they want to have a departure, how about a REAL departure. How about they actually re-write it from the ground up again instead of giving us yet another revision of the Windows 2000 core...

G

they do have the w7 interface...this is how it looks if you have a tablet or if you want it to look like that on your PC and its completely optional

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
If remember the rant with Aero and the XP skin at the beginning... You need to refresh things up sometimes to find better fits.

Hey, like rockers say: if it's too loud, you're too old! Same could be said for software: if it's too complex, you're too old!

Cheers!

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I just don't really understand microsoft's goal here. We don't want sloppy, inefficient, clutter. If we did we'd go to macOS. The general windows user wants to have more control over their system, not less. I think the basic rationale for going for windows over macOS has been that it gives you more control and less gimmick. If microsoft tries to reverse this, they'll be alienating their real customers while trying to acquire apple's customers, who aren't interested. A version of windows focused on performance and a minimal UI would make a lot more sense than taking the apple route and just making everything bigger, uglier, and slower.

Of course, for all I know what we know as windows 8 isn't even going to be released as a desktop OS, and while it attempts to work on the tablet market, microsoft will develop an actual operating system for desktop computers and traditional laptops.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Unfortunately, M$ did not see the tablet revival coming when they were working on windows 7. If they had, I expect that another viable approach would have been to detect, or at least allow a user to indicate, that 7 was installed on a tablet device and adjust the UI accordingly. Seems a pretty simple concept even though there is a parting of ways between desktop and tablet UI. I see this as similar to web sites that detect when they are being browsed by a mobile device and provide a different page designed to accommodate that mobile device.

Unless there is significant thought into this new UI, one market sector that I anticipate will have problems with "second-class mice" is the CAD market. Good luck, M$, in finding a "one-size" fits all solution.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think the only real potential here is to use a beefed-up Kinect that is more responsive and more accurate and have some excellent voice recognition software. Get rid of the keyboard and mouse altogether. Could be great for HTPC's and the like. As for any other type of setup, I don't see this catching on.

G

Eh, windows 8 is just like windows 7 :)
You can still use the start menu, with regular windows like you could before, it's just like some add-on for windows where you use tiles to navigate... you know, for regular donkey consumers that need 4 big buttons in windows "facebook, youtube, mail, news" .

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"However, I don't think that anyone would install this OS on a traditional PC."
You've been wrong before.

"Of course, Microsoft can't change computing alone."
It did it before, and likely will do it again.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I think people just have ADD. I think people just get tired of the usual start button, task bar ect... and want something new. That doesn't mean the current interface isn't intuitive, user friendly and the best solution so far. I always thought XP was the best version so far and they should just improve on that. Or rebuild XP from the ground up know what we know today.

G

If I want obfuscating tiles to hide the underlying reality of what I really own, I'll by a mac.
I prefer to have access to all my hardware the way I want it.

http://www.reactos.org

is almost ready, approaching beta.
Windows without MS, an opensource alternative that you have complete control of.

boju

Distinguished
I’m open to new things of course but why change something that just works so well. Windows.. a brand name beginning from so long ago is just as significant as Duke Nukem.

Oh well.. be better if they called it sliders rather than tiles and have each layer interface with a worm hole. Problem solved with the excessive mouse movement...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Another dumb idea ... touch screens are only used for portable devices simply to reduce necessary real estate required to use the device. People endure touch screen interfaces because of this, not because they think it's a better interface. It's kinda sad just how Microsoft keep getting "the future" wrong.

If Microsoft want to be forward thinking, they should be focusing on a interface that can detect when someone is talking to it and respond accordingly with 99.99% accuracy ... touch screen is just another clumsy way of interacting with a computer. Gaaah, Microsoft just don't get it ... I seriously don't think they have a single person in that company with an "vision" or "imagination" at all ... just a bunch of drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.