Microsoft Launches 'Smoked by Windows Phone' Campaign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
And the iFanboys said that it was too late for microsoft to enter into the smartphone/tablet market or that they would not be a serious contender....

Watch out guys, the sleeping giant is awake.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I'd like to see this guy get an sms out as fast as I can on my Nokia 3210. Then he can keep his $100 bucks, as long as they give me an add with him holding my 'Smoked by a 3210' sign

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
What's with all the WP7 fanboyism on Tom's? I'm disappointed with you guys. It's one thing to be voting down Apple fanboys, but what's wrong with Android? On a website that's all about customization and tweaking, I'm surprised the most versatile OS is being voted down. Don't get me wrong I'd DEFINITELY prefer WP7 to iOS, but Microsoft have chosen to also go with a closed platform, much like Apple. I thought you guys would like tweaking, rooting, and installing custom roms and launchers.

And if you are going to use "fragmentation" as an argument, you are using a classic apple fanboy argument and sound like Steve Jobs.

I expected more from you Tom's. I stand by my Galaxy S II. So go ahead and vote this post down.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]One could also say: who cares if it's slower, everybody wants it. (Which is actually true, look at all the iPhone's and Android devices and count how many people you see with a WP device)[/citation]

Sorry, but these few hand-picked and optimised tasks don't prove anything about slower or faster. The actual hardware is far less capable and if they had selected, say, gaming performance, it would have been a completely different story. The figure of 88% is misleading since it also includes very old models - they lost to the iPhone 4S and some other Android phones in even their hand selected tests. Any top of the line phone for Android, iOS etc would beat the 'average' phone in terms of speed in normal tasks.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]
But it's faster to get to where you want, that's the point of it. It's basically the simplest and most functional out-of-the-box OS out there.[/citation]

What if 'where you want' is to use one of the thousands of apps which are only out on Android or iOS? Also, both iOS and Android make it single clicks to get exactly where you want to be, so I don't even agree for the basic tasks.

It's kinda in a league of its own right now because it doesn't have a real major selling point to many of us.It's market has many high-quality apps in comparison to iOS and Android but the volume of those applications is not to the same extent as iOS and Android.[/citation]

Exactly, apart from the implication that any of the apps are higher quality than you get on iOS or Android. iOS and Android have pretty much all the quality apps, but just far, far more of them.

I would honestly buy a WP device as my next phone if I had not already invested in apps for Android.[/citation]

Given what you've just said about the complete lack of a selling point and inferior app store, why?

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The 88% win ratio shows simply that Ben can beat most USERS. He knows up front exactly what he's going to search for/do with the phone in a contrived test while the users are relatively cold. I'm not sure if it's even good PR - it's too much like the Mac vs PC commercials. Those just made me dislike Apple Mac products even more.

I just conducted my own test on my ICS Android phone and I know that I could/did share a photo on Facebook faster than Ben OR the the girl he was competing against.

TBH, the "common tasks" mentioned are things that are not common for me. When I go out to eat, it's usually someplace I have been before. I don't constantly upload pictures of my dog to Facebook. My weather app always shows me the current temperature based on my location. If I want the forecast, it's one tap on the home screen.

The common tasks I perform usually involve reading email, playing music, playing games, using my banking app, turn by turn directions, GPS-bsaed sport tracking, or browsing. With notifications and such, Android widgets for things like email, and the rest of that stuff usually just running in the background, I'm not sure how speed is going to be a factor when most of that information is available to me with a single swipe or click.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yeah Windows is a closed platform, but compared to Apple it is orders of magnitude more open. On another note, we have some positive developments in the world of open standards. Take a look at this Ubuntu mobile challenge: http://youtu.be/3pZUCKt0RKc

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
on the verge of sounding elitist but couldn't they have found a better looking spokesperson? I mean badly dressed, big eared and bald? Maybe they wanted someone who was non threatening to the general public (non paid actors pretending to be the public). In which case I guess I can see that.

G

warezme: I've been to an invite-only Microsoft jobs fair at one of their campuses, believe me, that's probably one of the better looking employees. 75% of MS employees look just like Steve Balmer, and the rest are minorities and a few token women.

In other news, it looks like MS PR has taken it upon themselves to thumb up favorable comments, and thumb down critical comments. Yes, the lemming effect is taking hold, and I'm realizing that I should buy a WP7 phone instead of Android when I upgrade.

G

Of course WP7 is faster than Android and iOS.

Since there are no apps for it, there is nothing to consume system resources.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Actually I've read some comments on the youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-1wXnl5j8&feature=relmfu

and it seems this could be another example of smear campaign marketing tactics by MS. For example iPhone 4 has a phone button one click away at the lock screen, yet the girl in this video-

http://www.youtube.com/user/windowsphone?feature=watch#p/c/E0328D93355727B7/1/S3-1wXnl5j8

Was shown fumbling around in the keypad @ :36, then scrolling back and forth between app screens like she didn't know what she was doing.

G

Would actually like to enter one of these bets and try out my new galaxy s2. Maybe overclock it to 1.5ghz and not tell them. >:)

But it is really nice that microsoft is getting some good positive publicity for their phones, I support them with that.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]For all of you fandroid and iOS fanboys, the task Ben ask everyone to do were simple and something that everyone with a smartphone should know how to do. Stop trying to find excuse for why your platform lost the competition. WP was meant to do simpler task better because not everyone gives a hoot about remote desktop connection or modding.[/citation]

Indeed... because you're intellectually and creatively inferior. We get it :)

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I'd like to see him get a photo onto facebook faster than I can on my htc wildfire s. Take photo and it will be uploading half a second later, oh and my phone is like 1/3 the price of any windows phone.

The task he got them to do is something I'd never do. As far as directions go see who can get turn by turn navigation to their designation first.

Windows has some great features but these tests are pointless in which is faster. Untill wp7 has 32gb+ worth of storage or support for sd cards I'm not interested.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Sorry, but these few hand-picked and optimised tasks don't prove anything about slower or faster. The actual hardware is far less capable and if they had selected, say, gaming performance, it would have been a completely different story. The figure of 88% is misleading since it also includes very old models - they lost to the iPhone 4S and some other Android phones in even their hand selected tests. Any top of the line phone for Android, iOS etc would beat the 'average' phone in terms of speed in normal tasks.
What if 'where you want' is to use one of the thousands of apps which are only out on Android or iOS? Also, both iOS and Android make it single clicks to get exactly where you want to be, so I don't even agree for the basic tasks.
Exactly, apart from the implication that any of the apps are higher quality than you get on iOS or Android. iOS and Android have pretty much all the quality apps, but just far, far more of them.
Given what you've just said about the complete lack of a selling point and inferior app store, why?[/citation]
Users got to pick the task, not the MS guy
Users were people who attended CES, not just some random "guy off the street" and would have been more tech-savvy, especially if they are hanging around the smartphone stands
88% win rate was at the first event when no-one was expecting to have this done, but at a later event when people were aware of this test the win rate went up even higher
Just admit to yourself, even if not to us, WP got a win here, you just have to try harder with the iPhone 5

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]impreza[/nom]Untill wp7 has 32gb+ worth of storage or support for sd cards I'm not interested.[/citation]
That's nothing to do with WP7, that's everything to do with the hardware vendors - try again

Status
Not open for further replies.