Microsoft Launches Windows Phone 8 Syncing App

Status
Not open for further replies.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Where have I seen this before?

PS if windows could come out with a phone as gorgeous as the iPhone I'd buy in a second. Jobs secret sauce taste and style matter and the guy had it in spades.

dash68

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Maybe MS can get it right. Many people have stayed away from Apple because of iTunes. Really sounds like this "Syncing App" is going to get in the way of the total control many PC users seem to desire.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Big mistake. Shouldn't have been an app. Should have been an integrated part of the system. Maybe they are doing it this way to comply with the EU or some other nonsense like that, but it is a poor design decision...

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Where have I seen this before?PS if windows could come out with a phone as gorgeous as the iPhone I'd buy in a second. Jobs secret sauce taste and style matter and the guy had it in spades.[/citation]

A phone limited to two colours, and one look for everyone?

No thanks

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
You'd think that this would have been included in RT's release, I mean come on even the iPhone was supported out of the box. How embarrassing.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]A phone limited to two colours, and one look for everyone?No thanks[/citation]

See that's why you don't have style or taste,it's not about the number of colors it's the make up, the shape of iPhone 4, is perfectly symmetrical , which is what we humans interpret as beauty, finally the glass front and back was one of the best choices I've seen, it makes it look high end notice apple kept this shape essentially for the 5, id have kept the glass back too. But even the small glossy bevel of iPhone 5, is the attention to detail that some who has style and taste notices, not the fact that you can come out with 20 toy colors. The heft of the 4 was perfect made it feel solid, the 5 is in fact too light, making it feel cheaper a toy. Is a rolls Royce tasteful because it can come in virtually any color, no it's because of the refinement and detail from the leather stitching to the quality of wood. So as stated if MS can learn all geeks don't lack refinement I'd buy windows 8 phone. I personally think ms needs to hire a fashion house or car manufacturer ala Audi (who right now I think has the most beautiful designs on the road) to put it together or show them how beauty is done, it's actually a science to it. MS does this and they'll gain some fame for windows 8, right now the Lucia's are hideous, with their assymetry all over, from the fat middle to thin edges, the screen locks just shoved in the middle, and the colors make look like a toy. People have it confused beauty is not really that subjective it's science based on lines and symmetry, it's attractiveness that is in the eye of the beholder, beauty we pretty much agree on as humans.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]See that's why you don't have style or taste,it's not about the number of colors it's the make up, the shape of iPhone 4, is perfectly symmetrical , which is what we humans interpret as beauty, finally the glass front and back was one of the best choices I've seen, it makes it look high end notice apple kept this shape essentially for the 5, id have kept the glass back too. But even the small glossy bevel of iPhone 5, is the attention to detail that some who has style and taste notices, not the fact that you can come out with 20 toy colors. The heft of the 4 was perfect made it feel solid, the 5 is in fact too light, making it feel cheaper a toy. Is a rolls Royce tasteful because it can come in virtually any color, no it's because of the refinement and detail from the leather stitching to the quality of wood. So as stated if MS can learn all geeks don't lack refinement I'd buy windows 8 phone. I personally think ms needs to hire a fashion house or car manufacturer ala Audi (who right now I think has the most beautiful designs on the road) to put it together or show them how beauty is done, it's actually a science to it. MS does this and they'll gain some fame for windows 8, right now the Lucia's are hideous, with their assymetry all over, from the fat middle to thin edges, the screen locks just shoved in the middle, and the colors make look like a toy. People have it confused beauty is not really that subjective it's science based on lines and symmetry, it's attractiveness that is in the eye of the beholder, beauty we pretty much agree on as humans.[/citation]

I don't have style or taste because I don't see the iPhone5 as the best phone?

THAT is your argument?

We give them out at work, they're nice, but scratch easily, have worse battery than the 4s and seem to be an odd shape. It's not my cup of tea.

I'll take a Lumia 920 thanks

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I don't have style or taste because I don't see the iPhone5 as the best phone?THAT is your argument?We give them out at work, they're nice, but scratch easily, have worse battery than the 4s and seem to be an odd shape. It's not my cup of tea.I'll take a Lumia 920 thanks[/citation]

Read my comment I'm not talking about function, I'm talking purely looks, finally again I said the 4 use of glass front and back was best, theb5 going to anodized aluminum on back was bad choice. I said the 4 was the best designed not 5, the only real difference beteen 5 and 4 is the change of back which does scratch more, the form otherwise is same, shape etc... Which was smart on apples part.

In conclusion I never said the 5 was the best phone, the basic design of 4 was, furthermore battery life, specs aside fom buzz words like lte mean nothing to the average buyer. So what is the key differentiator ... Looks, my 63 year old mom pre-ordered iPhone 5, she also ordered iPad mini, does she have a clue about it , no but it's buzz and looks mean something to her. Get out of your little geek world and realize geekdom is a small subset of society. As that said apple clearly has understood simplicity and beauty sell, you get a 63 year old women buying your product day 1, you are winning.

When my mother grabs that lumia ill listen to your argument

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Read my comment I'm not talking about function, I'm talking purely looks, finally again I said the 4 use of glass front and back was best, theb5 going to anodized aluminum on back was bad choice. I said the 4 was the best designed not 5, the only real difference beteen 5 and 4 is the change of back which does scratch more, the form otherwise is same, shape etc... Which was smart on apples part. In conclusion I never said the 5 was the best phone, the basic design of 4 was, furthermore battery life, specs aside fom buzz words like lte mean nothing to the average buyer. So what is the key differentiator ... Looks, my 63 year old mom pre-ordered iPhone 5, she also ordered iPad mini, does she have a clue about it , no but it's buzz and looks mean something to her. Get out of your little geek world and realize geekdom is a small subset of society. As that said apple clearly has understood simplicity and beauty sell, you get a 63 year old women buying your product day 1, you are winning.When my mother grabs that lumia ill listen to your argument[/citation]

Your argument is as interesting as traveling to Switzerland.... To buy a pair of socks.

You seriously brought your mother into that argument?!!
You sir just sealed your own coffin on this debate.
Old people know nothing and we can easily put them in the dumb crowd which is in my book 75% in any given population, in any given subject (no offense)
So we could care less that your mom has money to squander on useless unnecessary products. The only reason people buy these is because THERE IS NO CHOICE, meaning they cant be bothered to start picking and choosing one item out of a selection of products, if there were 5 different models of the iPhone that came with different features even if they had the same look, i guarantee you apple would not be enjoying as much success.

...And there is nothing tasteful about a Rolls Royce, its just unnecessarily big and stupid.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
And i love the fact that my two brothers, who have always been apple buyers,:-

1 In April Asked me if i could give them my Omnia7 in exchange for their iCrap 4S's, Big NO.

2 This year they have both skipped on iPad 3 and The iCrap 5 (4.2).

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I don't have style or taste because I don't see the iPhone5 as the best phone?THAT is your argument?We give them out at work, they're nice, but scratch easily, have worse battery than the 4s and seem to be an odd shape. It's not my cup of tea.I'll take a Lumia 920 thanks[/citation]He's an iTroll. If Apple had released a iPhone that was physically identical in design to the 920, he'd be fondling it even as we speak.

Syncing directly to a computer just sounds so old fashioned now. I connect my phone to my computer maybe once every three or four months. I just use Google to keep my calendar, contacts and e-mail accounts in sync with Thunderbird. I'd use the same sort of thing for photos if I really ever took any but my phone is used for business.

The only way I could see wanting to directly sync is if I kept sensitive data on my phone that I could not risk having stored online.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Get out of your little geek world and realize geekdom is a small subset of society[/citation]
Get out of your little superficial world and realize your skin-deep argument makes you pretty shallow.

Don't get me wrong, looks DOES matter when buying electronics, but never over functionnality, and it's a matter of preference, not what you call having taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.