consolegamer

Estimable
May 23, 2014
I learned two interesting things today. First, I learned that Asus made a phone that's also a tablet that's also a laptop. Second, I learned that Sony makes a smartphone that's more powerful than my laptop. This has gotten me thinking, my laptop actually has a bit more power than the average consumer uses. So with smartphones like these becoming common, I think people will start buying bigger screens and keyboards and mice for their phones instead of buying laptops. And that would lead to the average laptop user using Blackberry/Android/Tizen instead of Windows. Your thoughts?

Solution
Here is how i see it, sure a laptop is fine for general use and less serious office not involving graphically intensive things.
You can get a MSI workstation/gaming laptop if you can afford it for such intensive tasks but the price of building your own system can not match the performance you get per dollar spend.
Microsoft is one of the highest authorities in technology and they are not going anywhere as how advanced they are.
Even dx11 came out with windows 7 and game devs continued use of old versions holding the industry back. Mantle, SteamOS all that crap is really just a waist of time when resources should be pooled together for a merge into dx12.

itsVance

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
Tablets are still lacking in storage and power and not yet on the same level as laptops can be. That said, my wife is enjoying the Zorin Linux I installed on her laptop for her. So yes, no Microsoft but still laptop.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Yeah man. Zorin Linux! What a great OS. Especially for your wife check this out: http://elementaryos.org/

It's Ubuntu-based too, and it looks like a Mac.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

There will always be a need for something more powerful and usuable, as the workstation or office computer. People will always need the desktop to do video editing, and they will always need a true laptop for typing documents. No phone or tablet can touch using a real desktop for these kind of tasks.

I also find smartphones leaving a lot to be desired. Especially after gaming or trying to navigate this site, for one, you always wish you were using a laptop or desktop, or at least a Surface.

consolegamer

Estimable
May 23, 2014
I realise that some people will always need more power, but think of it this way: most people today don't need a desktop. A laptop is enough. When smartphones are as powerful as laptops are now, most people won't need a laptop right? And I don't see why you couldn't have a laptop case that you just slide your phone into and power it from your phone. Memory cards are getting bigger, and between that and cloud storage, hard drive space wouldn't be an issue.

itsVance

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014

Perhaps in the future we can have little computer displays in our sunglasses which use our eyeballs as cursors & it will all be run on Android.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Yes, and sure a smartphone is as powerful, but you will always go back to the laptop to type and to do real work.

Sure, you can dock the smartphone into the laptop, check it out: http://www.amazon.com/AT-Laptop-Dock-Motorola-ATRIX/dp/B004M17D62

Guess how well that went? It never got any traction. We are just not ready for it yet. Maybe in 5-10 years, but in this day and age, we need laptops/desktops.

iron8orn

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Here is how i see it, sure a laptop is fine for general use and less serious office not involving graphically intensive things.
You can get a MSI workstation/gaming laptop if you can afford it for such intensive tasks but the price of building your own system can not match the performance you get per dollar spend.
Microsoft is one of the highest authorities in technology and they are not going anywhere as how advanced they are.
Even dx11 came out with windows 7 and game devs continued use of old versions holding the industry back. Mantle, SteamOS all that crap is really just a waist of time when resources should be pooled together for a merge into dx12.

Solution