Microsoft: No Windows Phone 7 Tablets (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Screwed!!!

Anyone who just bought a Windows Phone gets screwed, because it will be obsolete when Microsoft shoehorns its desktop Windows 8 OS onto a phone.

Assuming the talk is true (which I am convinced it is)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]Screwed!!!Anyone who just bought a Windows Phone gets screwed, because it will be obsolete when Microsoft shoehorns its desktop Windows 8 OS onto a phone.Assuming the talk is true (which I am convinced it is)[/citation]
Assuming of course that they don't allow OS update from 7 to 8 the same way iPhone users can update from iOS.

Even if they charge a small fee via Marketplace which people would mind, they will still allow it.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
MS can not figure out how to get the bloated OS to run on tablets. Their propriety Direct X sucks the battery dry in no time.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]MS can not figure out how to get the bloated OS to run on tablets. Their propriety Direct X sucks the battery dry in no time.[/citation]
Reggie, you have obviously never used WP7

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Why does anybody want WP7 on a tablet? It's Windows CE (the same underpinnings as Windows Mobile) with a new shell. Windows CE is going to be deprecated once Windows 8's ARM-compatible kernel is available, and Windows CE's kernel dates back to Windows 95, with minor incremental updates. Windows 8 is, of course, built on the superior NT kernel that has been heavily optimized through the MinWin project. It is now very small, and yet even more powerful than before. Anybody that wants Windows Phone 7 on a tablet is delusional.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Waethorn[/nom]Why does anybody want WP7 on a tablet? It's Windows CE (the same underpinnings as Windows Mobile) with a new shell. Windows CE is going to be deprecated once Windows 8's ARM-compatible kernel is available, and Windows CE's kernel dates back to Windows 95, with minor incremental updates. Windows 8 is, of course, built on the superior NT kernel that has been heavily optimized through the MinWin project. It is now very small, and yet even more powerful than before. Anybody that wants Windows Phone 7 on a tablet is delusional.[/citation]
I would say the same for the iPad, why would anyone want the iPhone OS on a tablet, but the answer that they are delusional is too obvious.

Microsoft are having a dedicated desktop OS, dedicated server OS, dedicated tablet OS and a dedicated phone OS, they all work with each other and despite a lot of hot air from the sweaty nerds or Mac sheep the world loves it.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I would say the same for the iPad, why would anyone want the iPhone OS on a tablet, but the answer that they are delusional is too obvious.Microsoft are having a dedicated desktop OS, dedicated server OS, dedicated tablet OS and a dedicated phone OS, they all work with each other and despite a lot of hot air from the sweaty nerds or Mac sheep the world loves it.[/citation]

What Microsoft is doing is making each device independent though, which until recently, was not true of iOS. Mark my words, Apple will pull a similar trick with iOS: make it more complex to add more features, and eventually replace OS X with it. Microsoft will also make the new shell more complex so that the "Desktop" will be replaced entirely by it. HTML5 is just getting started though, isn't "complete" by any stretch of the imagination, and doesn't offer native-quality capabilities. In a few Windows versions from now, that will change, and the new shell for Windows will adapt too. Apple doesn't do server stuff anymore - that's made very clear by Lion Server. They are focussing on one client OS: iOS. OS X is now considered iOS's afterbirth. Microsoft, in contrast, wants one client OS, but they won't give up on the server OS because there is growing demand for it. Much like OS X Server though, Windows Server uses the same codebase as it's client brethren, except for the tools, so development for it is fairly smooth.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
He's definitely right that a tablet should use a desktop-oriented OS. I want to be able to do much of the same things on a tablet as I do on a desktop. Current models don't let me do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.