Microsoft: Port Apple Apps to Win Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I imagine that piracy is a maJor concern preventing the porting of these apps. Providing a developer friendly enviroment and api's might have worked out well for microsoft in the 1990's, I think there is too much fear over lost revenue.
That said, apple's app store has a notoriously high noise to signal ratio its hard finding apps in all the mess. Porting may be the best option for indie developers.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Maybe they should worry about fixing WM so it actually WORKS, then they can fix it so it looks more like Apple, and THEN worry about porting apps.
I have a WM6.0 phone and what works on a PC with a mouse and big screen doesn't work nearly as well on a tiny screen. And just try to connect to WiFi, or get the GPS to work, or ... I've had a lot of Win-based PDA's and I liked them, but the interface doesn't measure up to current state of the art.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
if i recall correctly, these app stores (well atleast the xna xbox community games one) specifically state that you remain the owner of the IP. so as long as none of apple's code remains in your port (like bits of the sdk) there should be nothing apple can do

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I agree with you cadder, I have windows mobile 6.1 on my htc, although I don't have problems connecting to wifi, thats probably only because of bell's touch flo app within the phone, and yea, it could be wayyy better

heygeo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
@cadder and the associate... 6.5 WinMo is a huge improvement over 6.1, and from what I've seen of Winmo 7, that will be a game changer for Winmo devices, definately on par and beyond what Apple, Palm and Google have now.. tricorder comes to mind.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I agree with the previous posts concerning windows 6.1 / 6.5 being less than stellar operating systems. I have problems all the time with the GPS using applications not working on first try. Applications not connecting correctly when I have Wifi and Mobile broadband both active, like they can't figure out which way to connect and instead don't connect at all. Notifications that don't work at times and don't clear at other times. Files just getting deleted off the device randomly when hooked up to a USB connection.

As for version 7, it may be a game changer, but if its not out very soon (not next year or the year after) then it will be hard to change the game when the game is already over when you get to the park. Too many new phone systems are out now for people to hang on and wait for something that on the way.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
M$ needs to get more aggressive with Apple. MS seems to like sitting back and watch Apple run around.
MS's current advertising campaign is a step in the right direction, but its still too soft.

Mind you, it cold be like a human watching bug run around for curiosity's sake before stepping on it.

goodbird

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Windows is a better platform realistically. Its more open and lots of third party company can do their thing there. Apple on the other hand, wants to control everything. Apple users don't know how much apple kill them every year for money with there over priced products.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Man, Apple's App Store is saturated with crap apps, I'm glad that the FCC is looking into them a bit more as there needs to be more transparency to how they approve applications. More should be removed and it it has a low rating, it should be dumped!

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
@safcmanfr:

Instead of worrying about their propaganda... how about Microsoft comes up with something innovative for a change. I feel they are export copycats.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
etichi - uh... Apple's iPhone interface was just a polished up version of Palm's original OS.... only difference was left ot right scrolling on the iPhone and up and down scrolling on an orginal Palm...

As far as easier to use, Apple could have offered an app to quickly access the bluetooth and Wifi radio... currently you have to goto settings, general, bluetooth, and slide on/off...WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.