Microsoft, RealNetworks and Yahoo! Sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The music companies are sinking and are trying anything to stay afloat. The only ones that will survive are those that have the foresight to change their business model.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Are these private radio stations streamed through these services/protocols or are they actually hosted by the companies in question. There are streaming license fees applicable to this kind of model that are accepted by industry standards. I don't understand why they couldn't make one phone call and work out some sort of deal.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Drat... I was hoping the RIAA just got stupid and overstepped their bounds. After all, do you really think you can be a non-governmental agency and afford better lawyers than Microsoft? After all, a lot of times it is not whether the facts are on your side - it is more like the Cold War: Can you outspend your opponent and force them into financial collapse or an out-of-court settlement.

As to the music industry dying - probably. However, what were they suppose to change their business model to? A free product that is ad supported? Donation based like Wikipedia? No model, just make stuff and give it away free? Go through tightly controlled iTunes store, or pay huge licensing fees to Apple because they undoubtedly hold several key patents to creating and running an online music store?

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]it is more like the Cold War: Can you outspend your opponent and force them into financial collapse or an out-of-court settlement.[/citation]
so true... so true...

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
streaming radio should be free just like antenna radio is.these companies should be glad they are on the "AIR" cause if they were not then no one would ever know them or buy their music.

more loser lawsuits to make up for the loss of income.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The who?
The carpentars, who are they?

Whatever happened to making music and art to express yourself and out of passion? I love to express yself in assorted ways, but if I get paid a cent, I'd be happy.
Second Hand Lands. A great indy game. Dev has spent arond $250k into the game and knows he will never profit from it or even remotely cover cost, yet he still works on it...

[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]I knew it that Microsoft is the biggest pirate of them all![/citation]

Microsoft historically has been the god of pirates. Maybe it's so easy to pirate Windows and associated programs because they just want to share the love to those willing?

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Isn't there a known procedure that gets the FULL rights to sell songs? Or does iTunes get tripped up occasionally too?

Not that I plan on starting a business that needs to know the procesdure, but you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.