Microsoft Refused to Sell Xbox 360s to Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I had a thought a few days ago that Sony should stop selling PS3's to the gov. The gov sold ~8000 PS3's to the gov (the gov was buying them to save money on computing expenses) but Sony is loosing money cause they will make $0 profit from game sales from those sales. I think Sony may be still selling PS3's at a loss. Smart move on the goverments part. I think it was the department of Defense.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I laughed a bit at the reasons. Reason one is a joke, just charge more. This is the US gov, charge what you want. The second reason is possible, but a shortage can drive up hype so not a huge deal. Besides, your in the business to sell consoles, so sell them already. The third is also a joke. How many times have you been at a store and see clueless mom/dad buying a Teen/Mature game for their 12yo? Do you think these parents would have any clue what the US military uses to train their soldiers? Do you think they would even care? Sell them a console for whatever it costs plus X profit and offer it to them at that price. I bet they would have bit on that.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
"We wanted to get on to the Microsoft Xbox because it only costs $300, when a PC may cost $1,000"

Then you're doing it wrong.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Ryun[/nom]"We wanted to get on to the Microsoft Xbox because it only costs $300, when a PC may cost $1,000"Then you're doing it wrong.[/citation]
Agreed. A PC that could play most recent games (with a 5670/4670) can be built for $500. Also, assuming they will buy in bulk, the cost would be further decreased.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
And just what is wrong with knowing that your child is using the device of choice for some of the country's finest men and women? They have no problem selling games based on martial combat, but the real military can't buy their consoles to hone their skills? typical nonsensical liberal drivel.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
The first reason, as well as the response from Microsoft, contain the real motive behind the decision; that is, Microsoft wants to make some money from this transaction. The key word is RETAIL Xbox consoles, as well as membership. With MS being the owner of the platform, I can not blame them for seeking a profit. The other two reasons invoked by the Army - and not confirmed by Microsoft - are just dust in the wind; they do not matter and I believe they don't exist (although, on second thought, there was a shortage of consoles when they first came out). Corporations live to make a profit (otherwise they would make no sense) and if you want to do business with them you have to give them at least a chance to do that. Even the Army spokesperson admitted that with their proposal there was a great chance that Microsoft would have lost on their bottom line.
Moreover, nowadays a PC with specs similar to an Xbox would probably be as expensive, if not even less so, than a console. Everybody knows bureaucracy is slow, but c'mon! This is 4 years later!

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom] Reason one is a joke, just charge more. This is the US gov, charge what you want.

Well, MS mentioned the RETAIL consoles would be acceptable, which makes me believe that the avenue was explored. Probably the Army offered to bay in bulk at low price/unit, which is OK if the seller makes a decent profit from each unit but not so when the retail cost barely covers the expense of manufacturing, not to mention an even lower bulk price. On top of that, the prospect of subsequently buying more retail games was almost zero, hence the huge negative balance on MS bottom line. It is not charity, after all...

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]antimatter79[/nom]And just what is wrong with knowing that your child is using the device of choice for some of the country's finest men and women? They have no problem selling games based on martial combat, but the real military can't buy their consoles to hone their skills? typical nonsensical liberal drivel.[/citation]

Troll...
Besides, MS never mentioned that as a reason. MS is a corporation, all they should care is their bottom line. They have to make a profit, and they were getting stiffed by the deal. The Army did not accept the options offered by MS, so deal was off.
Maybe Mr. Smith was a little disgruntled when the real deal was revealed and it did not turn out the way he was hoping. Even if the third reason existed (which i don't believe), what's wrong in having a different point of view? This is America and everybody is entitled to opinions.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Agreed. A PC that could play most recent games (with a 5670/4670) can be built for $500. Also, assuming they will buy in bulk, the cost would be further decreased.[/citation]

I guess they buy their gaming pc's from dell. They should just let some guys with skil33zz build them pc's for cheap.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Soo.... the US Military buys a Japanese company brand game console... :)

Because SONY and Microsoft are international corporations, can we really think of them as "American" or "Japanese" companies?

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Of course I would like a proved - and tested - killing machine that my child could play with.
It would be so cool to buy "approved killing machine by the military" and it comes with 3 snazzy camouflage colors, green, sand and ice.

I also look forward to pc-keyboards approved by the military, especially if it comes with a feature I've missed, namely that someone/something actually disappears in real life when I hit the DELETE button
:)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Ryun[/nom]"We wanted to get on to the Microsoft Xbox because it only costs $300, when a PC may cost $1,000"Then you're doing it wrong.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Agreed. A PC that could play most recent games (with a 5670/4670) can be built for $500. Also, assuming they will buy in bulk, the cost would be further decreased.[/citation]

First off, you don't build PC's. You assemble them.

The army isn't going to be custom assembling hundreds or thousands of desktops. Even if you want to assume they could or would the price you quoted was $200 more than the price of an Xbox 360. Why in the world would they pay $200 more so they can get the privilege of assembling them all themselves? Illogical.

Anyways, Sony has shown a liking to losing money on their consoles so maybe the Military should give them a call.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
They should buy Computers anyway, they don't get the Three Rings of Death Syndrome like a Crashbox 360 does and they run quiter and their also upgradeabe.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Either way MS makes money from the 360 or Windows on a PC. They can make more money from their OS then they can from actual hardware. Whats a disc cost to make? like $.05? Looks like a better bottom dollar to me.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]And just what is wrong with knowing that your child is using the device of choice for some of the country's finest men and women? They have no problem selling games based on martial combat, but the real military can't buy their consoles to hone their skills? typical nonsensical liberal drivel.[/citation]

Factor in the cost of operating systems and someone to build and maintain all those systems and the price goes up. 360 is a bad example, but usually consoles have fewer hardware and software problems than PC's. Having previously done IT in the Army I can tell you soldiers really like to abuse the heck out of issued PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.