Microsoft Rejects Motorola Settlement; Xbox Closer to Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
though I believeMicrosoft should pay up because they ARE guilty. even they know they are guilty. But Motorola and Google should definitely lower down the licencing fees, they are asking for way too much.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Why is it surprising Activision sells more games on the 360 than any other platform and Google's gun sights would be squarely aimed at Apple on the next patent war and they have done enough trolling of their own to have everyone ready to jump on them.

G

They are just trying to drag it out until the next xbox comes out then they won't have to worry about it.

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]also cannot wrap my head around why Apples opinion is relevant in this situation.[/citation]

Probably because they use the same software for syncing on there devices.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
First of all, Microsoft owns the ActiveSync technology, this is something they designed back the with old PDA days against Palm. How is it that this became a Motorola patent?

I would like to see more information about the patents in question since this article does not source any.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Bad for the economy? If anything, it would do good, as it would pave the way for OpenGL API's. The XBox 360 is the ONLY gaming console that doesn't support OpenGL, forcing all cross-platform games to use DX. Also, backporting games would be a hell of a lot easier since OpenGL doesn't break compatibility (unlike DirectX), so this break may be a good thing for game devs.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
If they do ban the 360, there's no matter of choosing between the PS3 and the Wii. The PS3 will be handed all the sales. You either want next gen or you settle for kid games on the Wii. Most of the games you play on the Wii are now available on your smart phone.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]If they do ban the 360, there's no matter of choosing between the PS3 and the Wii. The PS3 will be handed all the sales. You either want next gen or you settle for kid games on the Wii. Most of the games you play on the Wii are now available on your smart phone.[/citation]

LOL people still calling PS3 "next gen" even though its been around for a long time now.
(almost at the end of its life)

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
also cannot wrap my head around why Apples opinion is relevant in this situation.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Right now, Apple hate Android/Google/Moto MUCH more than they hate M$.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]LOL people still calling PS3 "next gen" even though its been around for a long time now.(almost at the end of its life)[/citation]
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]If they do ban the 360, there's no matter of choosing between the PS3 and the Wii. The PS3 will be handed all the sales. You either want next gen or you settle for kid games on the Wii. Most of the games you play on the Wii are now available on your smart phone.[/citation]

Yes! I'm sure the wimote on smartphone features an excellent experience. Since I own a good computer I don't really feel the need for a PS3 or an Xbox. You can emulate Wii on computer but on smartphone? Very funny instead, I wish I could see someone enjoying Raving Rabbids or Metroid on a 4" screen without wimote nor nunchuk!
really I do wish it!

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
"Judge Shaw disagrees, saying that intellectual property rights takes precedence over consumer need."

Yeah, screw petty things like innovation, competition, consumers. Whats important is that the courtroom remains a IP battleground where winner takes all so that this judge can feel relevant.

Long ago patent monopolies were sold to the public under the banner of the public good. Today it seems that for some people preserving the patent system is an end in itself, regardless of how bad may be the consequences.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I am guessing, thats right, guessing that while microsoft owns activesync, motorola owns the patent behind it. So they are the ones that patented the means for microsoft to use activesync and not the name which MS owns.

Otherwise this article makes no sense...

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
This patent demands are the last kicks of dying legal system i just wish that all this 5h1t will be gone by 2020 or something like that

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
It's the MS way. Lie, Copy, Steal and Monopolize. If that don't work then use thuggery, bribery (aka Office ISO standard) or what ever it takes to accomplish the objective. Sounds like the Marxist Kenyan liar we have Occupying the White House right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.