Microsoft Releases Development Kit For Windows Phone 7.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Windows 8, you had one job: unify mobile and desktop space.
Failed in both. Metro sucks for desktop, and windows mobile of different versions + windows RT, fragmented and not much appealing.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"Metro sucks for desktop"
I don't think that's the problem.
I think it's being ***forced*** to use metro and having to deal with its mobile shortcoming on a desktop(without having to "fix it" your self, I know..) is the problem.

I would be happy to use Win8 if I can turn on/off metro on the fly while the desktop still looks and behaves like regular windows UI...

A radical desktop UI change needs to be EASED in... not FORCED in without any vaseline...

Yea, I know about the Win7 desktop UI on Win8 utilities, but lets be frank: Most people simply don't know that much about computers and don't have the time/ability to modify them like we know how to, and they shouldn't be expected or forced to either...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Memmadmax: not so much as just being forced (Even Win7 includes a Win2000 skin) - but BAD design of metro and the complete cluster-F of a mess to use it.

I thought that 7.8 was an upgrade only... who would BUILD a new 7.8 phone when WP7 is a dead market? at&t sells the Nokia 820 for $50 on contract... and its better than any WP7 device on the market.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Memmadmax: not so much as just being forced (Even Win7 includes a Win2000 skin) - but BAD design of metro and the complete cluster-F of a mess to use it.I thought that 7.8 was an upgrade only... who would BUILD a new 7.8 phone when WP7 is a dead market? at&t sells the Nokia 820 for $50 on contract... and its better than any WP7 device on the market.[/citation]
n UK you can buy Nokia's Lumia 510, but of corse is like buying a phone with Froyo.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Good for me since I still have 5 months left on my WP7 contract. But I went to a windows store and used a WP8 extensively and they did not fix the main problems I had with the phone in the first place. You can't zoom while in calendar mode and you can only send pictures in e-mail attachments, no documents or word files or anything. If they didn't take care of that which were one of the main user suggestions on that crappy website they made for the community suggestions then I can safely assume other small fixes weren't applied either. My next phone will be an Android phone with an HDMI port, though I'm not too crazy about Android's unoptimized GUI (this is coming from a week of using a Galaxy Note 2 with the 4.1 "project butter" update) but I guess it will serve my purpose nicely.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Memmadmax: not so much as just being forced (Even Win7 includes a Win2000 skin) - but BAD design of metro and the complete cluster-F of a mess to use it.I thought that 7.8 was an upgrade only... who would BUILD a new 7.8 phone when WP7 is a dead market? at&t sells the Nokia 820 for $50 on contract... and its better than any WP7 device on the market.[/citation]There are many places that do not offer subsidized phones. Some of these places have much lower incomes, and you can't expect them to plunk down the equivalent of hundreds of dollars. So the only smartphone they might be able to afford is going to be very low-spec. It just so happens that WP7.x is very fast and efficient, and actually runs pretty damn well on them on them even though these ultra-budget devices are often equipped with 800Mhz single-core CPUs. There's no way in hell a heavier OS like Android or even WP8 (which is still very fast but more demanding than 7.8) would provide the same experience.

Anyway, it doesn't really fragment things like people think it does. If you make a WP7 app, it will probably run out of the box on WP8. But regardless, their dev tools make it easy to build apps that run across multiple platforms - WP7, WP8, WinRT, Win8. One of Microsoft's strong points is their developer support and tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.