Microsoft Releases New Security Essentials Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Haven't tried the new Beta yet, but the one thing I Really, Really don't like about MS Security Essentials even though I've been using it the last 6 months or so is in the Settings under Default Actions, No Where does it give you the option to ASK FIRST!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i perfer malwarebytes

and if you pay you get an extra protection module and flash scan to scan your running processes
(of course i run a firewall as well but so should everyone)

it also has an option to block popups that can be disabled by simply right clicking it and clicking "website blocking"

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I've been using Security Essentials since beta and it is amazing, it has blocked viruses/malware on several occasions and it is super lightweight and unintrusive. I don't ever have to touch it, good job MS. I don't see how you could improve the performance, but thats fine with me.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]I think you need to mention that you just need a windows live/MSN account. Most will already have one.I'll try it and see if it annoys me less than AVG.[/citation]

AVG's protection capabilities (of their free version) has drastically gotten bad lately. I used to use AVG for years and then I decided to see if anything better had come out. I switched to Avira and actually found a few viruses on my computer that AVG never knew existed....

I recommend that no one use AVG free unless it actually starts working again.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Their security software has still a lot of scope for improvement before it reaches the levels of good solutions like Kaspersky and Avira.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I've been using the security essentials for probably a year or so now. It seems to work pretty darn well for lightweight virus protection. It doesn't bombard me with messages or alerts either, like mcafee and norton would do.

I've noticed that MS keeps its definition's pretty up-to-date with semi-regular updates. No real complaints, you get what you pay for (or don't pay for in this case).

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Im another user who used AVG free for many years, for the past 6 months my system has been clean as a whistle, or so i thought. After getting tired of the pop ups to upgrade to AVG pro i uninstalled and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it found two viruses that AVG didnt. I no longer recommend anything but Microsoft and maybe Avira as free antivirus.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Excellent for a free AV, but still not on par with most non-free ones. Personally I'm a big fan of Norton 360. Not so long ago they made extremely bloated and resource-hogging suites, but now they have a really lightweight and excellent AV, and it comes with some other features like disk defrag, back-ups, web information etc.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have been using WSE on my PC since April. Used to use Trend Micro but since this is free and uses minmal resources it is now my Preferred AV.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]kezix_69[/nom]AVG's protection capabilities (of their free version) has drastically gotten bad lately. I used to use AVG for years and then I decided to see if anything better had come out. I switched to Avira and actually found a few viruses on my computer that AVG never knew existed....I recommend that no one use AVG free unless it actually starts working again.[/citation]

Yeah, this beta found one thing that AVG didn't. And this comp that I'm giving it a test on has only had this OS on it for a few months.

G

I thought MS giving away free software with Windows was illegal use of a monopoly to control the markets. I mean surely how can they get away with giving people free Anti Virus, after getting away with giving people a free web browser! They must be stopped before they bankrupt all those poor people who spend 40 hrs a week perfecting the Norton Pop-ups annoying timing!

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
It is light weight until it comes to scanning large install files. It starts "pegging" the CPU, even on the fastest systems. If this new version fixes that, I will be very happy. Other than the pegging issue, it is does a good job, isn't that annoying, and it detects when something bad tries to hit your system and deals with it.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I didn't use any AV until I installed the MS program.

Much less obtrusive than pretty much any other AV program I've used.

To the people saying "But if you pay for something its better..." - that's the point, this is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.