Microsoft Releases Out-Of-Band Patch for IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]IE6 must be a zombie, had a funeral, was buried but still lives. Someone shoot its head off![/citation]Shoot him in the head! His axe is on fire! HE KILLED YO PARENTS!!

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I've always thought this "patch tuesday" idea was stupid, and this just confirms it. If Microsoft has a patch ready to go why make people wait till the second Tuesday of the month to get it, esp. if it is to patch a security hole. This idea helps no one. If system administrators can't keep up with deploying all the patches that Microsoft releases that is their problem. Let the system administrators apply their own schedule of doing monthly patch checks on their own systems. Microsoft should just release patches when they are ready.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
That's why I don't use IE for internet browsing. It's just darn that my bank does not support browsers other than IE for online banking. They are lazy.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Now, another issue is that many companies out there are still using XP as the primary OS in their work environment. XP support will be discontinued soon, then either these companies are forced to upgrade, or are left with a still popular, and yet full of security holes OS.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]IE6 must be a zombie, had a funeral, was buried but still lives. Someone shoot its head off![/citation]
Somebody forgot about double tap.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]The patch for IE6 should replace it with anything else, IE8 at a minimum.[/citation]

Yeah, let's see you do that in the business world where newest-latest-greatest is NOT the goal. Stability, functionality, and interoperability are far more important. IE6 was a huge dead end, but there are a lot of apps coded for it that just won't work on anything else, and there is no money to recode those apps.

I think the workings of the real world will amaze you someday.

G

The problem with stability, functionality and interoperability is saving people from their own stupid selves, trust me.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]GEEZ! Surprised to find out MS is still supporting IE6.[/citation]

I'm sure they'd rather not be, but we all know the big businesses won't upgrade soon..

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Dorkus_M[/nom]The problem with stability, functionality and interoperability is saving people from their own stupid selves, trust me.[/citation]

Don't blame me, _I_ wasn't here when they decided to go with non W3C compliant garbage. The fact is, tho, if IE7 or newer won't work with it, then we CAN'T go to it without recoding that nobody wants to pay for. All the "newest-latest-greatest" fanbois in the world won't change that fact. To a business, if it works, it works. Who cares how outdated it is, unless you can prove that it's impacting the bottom line...

Status
Not open for further replies.