Microsoft Retiring Windows Live Messenger March 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradigital

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
That would be lovely if it weren't for the fact that Skype's IM is fundamentally flawed and full of bugs. Case in point is the random way it tags incoming messages with a timestamp. I've (within the last 15 minutes) recieved a message that got stamped with a time over an hour out of date.

This means that "new" messages can appear half way through a conversation and are an utter pain to find,

I'm all for progress, but retiring a platform when the alternative isn't ready is just stupid.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Wish they'd add good features from MSN to Skype such as mail notification, custom emoticons, picture sharing, etc... I'm still using WLM 2009 (14.0) because of the interface in the latest version is even worse than Skype's.
Guess one can hope for skin support... If only it had Steam messenger's UI :(

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I never really liked windows messenger. I used Yahoo IM or now, Facebook. Its too easy to be connected with a smart phone 24/7. It's good to unplug once in a while

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i have no problem moving to skype. for thoses that don't like the skype defualt interface it's easy to change just go to view and select compact and it turns skype into a messanger style interface.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]People were still using Messenger? Wow, that is news...[/citation]
My company still uses IM to communicate within the management group, that being said, we have currently (FINALLY) made the move to get off of pots lines and going forward with Shoretel Voip system. Awesome side perk, it comes with an IM program that is intranet only. I am way looking forward to that and getting off MSN IM nightmare!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
M$ is also trying to push their Lynx software also. Another horribly buggy piece of chatting/sharing software to replace Live Messenger and Netmeeting type apps. My work just moved to it and OHH they regret it so bad they brought the IM & Netmeeting servers back online.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah, Skype, the IM that they changed the code on after buying it to allow the FEDS to monitor your conversation, that one right. I'm not joking, it's true.

G

Skype chat , sux!!!!
Using Skype chat is like downgrading to a msn many many years ago. MS have alot upgrading to do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.