Microsoft Says Blu-ray Drive Coming for Xbox 360

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'll stick to netflix streaming on the 360 and watch the rare blu-ray movie on the PS3. Not sure the point of this thing unless they start putting it inside the 360 while not raising the price. Are people really going to buy an Xbox 360 because they now have the option to buy a $100+ blu-ray add-on? I think not.[/citation]

No, but if priced right they may buy a BD addon for the xbox they currently own.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm sure Microsoft has teamed up, in there heads at least with ISP's to push on demand streaming of Full HD movies, just think about the bandwidth you'd be racking up each month if it's done over the net, which means the ISP's can charge you through the nose for overage fees... I wonder if Microsoft would get a piece of that, considering they helped generate the overage revenue for the ISP's in the first place? ROFL

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]Too late. Bought a PS3 and so did everyone else.[/citation]
Not me, not yet. Maybe soon, but then I'd have to find a reason to pay extra for a Blu-Ray movie that I can't watch in all its glory since my HDTV has no HDMI and I have NO plans to just junk it.

Besides, I understand that the PS3 needs an accessory so my Logitech remote can talk to it. How lame compared to my 360...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]Too late. Bought a PS3 and so did everyone else. MS lost the market.[/citation]

Too late for what? To lead the PS3 by 7 million units?

westerbamos

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
MS should have just put a blu-ray drive in the 360 from the beginning. I really don't feel like spending another $100 just so I can play blu-ray movies, and games won't even be blu-ray. Blu-ray would be good for multi-disk games like Halo 3: ODST, but I feel like not too many games these days would benefit from it. Next generation of consoles, DVD is definitely going out the door though.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]westerbamos[/nom]MS should have just put a blu-ray drive in the 360 from the beginning. I really don't feel like spending another $100 just so I can play blu-ray movies, and games won't even be blu-ray. Blu-ray would be good for multi-disk games like Halo 3: ODST, but I feel like not too many games these days would benefit from it. Next generation of consoles, DVD is definitely going out the door though.[/citation]

I agree, but if that made the price of the Xbox 360 too close to the PS3 at the time then they would have not been able to push that it was cheaper than the PS3. Next generation, DVD is gone and will be replaced by downloads and flash.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I'll get one if it's $50 or less. I won't buy a $30 movie though. I rent the DVD's for $1 from redbox. I'd pay about $1.25 to rent a blu-ray.

I'm glad I have an xbox hd dvd player. I think I've spent a total of around $110 and I've got nearly 50 movies. HD DVD's on EBAY are selling for about $1.25 now.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"Steve was referring to Blu-ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360"

There was never along the twit a comment made for the 360... MS would never add a BR in the console cause its console irrelevant. If they let down HDDVD what makes you think they will sell us a BR? lol just get reals pls.

[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]Too late. Bought a PS3 and so did everyone else. MS lost the market.[/citation]

Player market I hope you mean cause if you tell me that you bought it for a console and you had no 360 you simply are a gamer without the brain to think for yourself and see what was priced well with better and more titles. PS3 barely started having titles and personally Id only consider Uncharted a more than worth title. Nothing else interests me and I still dont need a BR on my console. So stick to the subject.

[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Blah ha, and the 360 fanboys will snap it up and say it is a deal, better than the PS3 because it has crapbox live.[/citation]

What i love with roumors is that tards and fanboys like you always come out in the open making fool of yourselves. lol way to go

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I have a PS3, a 360 and a Gaming PC.
Now if i'm honest about this, unless MS put games onto blu-ray i probably wouldn't use it as i'm still happilly watching DVDs thru my 360 and my 5.1 Surround sound setup, most of what i want is still available on DVD application wise, and considering Blu-ray is still largely unaccessible because of price, i'll pass (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.