Microsoft Says Google is Blocking Windows Phone YouTube App

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did Microsoft released Office for Linux? No? Then why should Google release Youtube for a phone OS with the same market share as Bada?

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]The ~8 or so Windows phone users won't have a first-class YouTube experience. Oh, the indignity.[/citation]

9!

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
oops, sorry hal, I opened the tab with no posts, then left the room for a few minutes. my bad, no way shape of form tried to copy you.
In a slightly related topic....
I wonder what would happen if Google dropped youtube and googlemaps support for the iPhone?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
~have you noticed how the big-boy software makers are not playing nice in the sandbox and yet us consumers suffer? Isn't there a class action lawsuit that can happen to make them stop? ~just puttin' it out there...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It's a douchy move by Google, but also entirely deserved by Microsoft. Microsoft is one of the most anti-competitive software companies in existence, and they have the balls to cry foul when Google takes a page out of M$'s own playbook... Take your ball and go home M$, nobody wants to play with you.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sdfasgsd[/nom]Did Microsoft released Office for Linux? No? Then why should Google release Youtube for a phone OS with the same market share as Bada?[/citation]
great point sir!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]~have you noticed how the big-boy software makers are not playing nice in the sandbox and yet us consumers suffer? Isn't there a class action lawsuit that can happen to make them stop? ~just puttin' it out there...[/citation]
we need free software, free hardware, and free bandwith.

Free as in Freedom... not free as in zero cost.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Bullshit move on Googles move.

I enjoy Google, but if they're going to screw customers over because "You didn't buy OUR products" then a big middle finger to you bud.

Don't screw with customers to get at your competitor.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
So Microsoft is complaining that Google is giving Windows phone users an inferior YouTube experience and yet Microsoft sees nothing wrong with giving PC users an inferior Halo and Gears of War experience by completely withholding most of those games from PC users despite the fact that probably most PC users are financially supporting Microsoft by having Windows on their PC. Am I wrong to think that Microsoft are hypocrites and backstabbers.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]sdfasgsd[/nom]Did Microsoft released Office for Linux? No? Then why should Google release Youtube for a phone OS with the same market share as Bada?[/citation]
They aren't accusing Google of not developing the app, they're accusing them of not giving them access to make a native app. You're comparing apples and oranges with MS not releasing Office on Linux. The document specs used in Office are open, thats why Open Office can work within .doc files.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]we need free software, free hardware, and free bandwith.Free as in Freedom... not free as in zero cost.[/citation]
Free? Sorry, I want to get paid for the hard work I do.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Say anything bad about Android or Google and you get slammed. The Google fanboys are 10x worst than Apple ones now.[/citation]
I wouldn't say worse, fan boys are fan boys.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
True, MS does not support Linux with software, but they have always been pretty open to supporting Linux on a more fundamental platform level. MS is no longer looking to support specific software to other platforms anyways, it is all about cloud services for other platforms. Want to use linux or MacOS? then look to using office 365, or some other web based software. It is not as convenient as local software, but it can still get the job done.

The real issue here is that of Google (not linux) and Microsoft are not playing nicely together. MS accuses (often rightfully so) Google of all manner of data stealing and mining, while google uses their new-found power in the mobile market to keep MS locked into a fading desktop market.

machvelocy

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Say anything bad about Android or Google and you get slammed. The Google fanboys are 10x worst than Apple ones now.[/citation]
many ppl didn't notice, but google DOES employ shill like any other company

G

This is an odd situation as the current biggest competitor to Google mobile OS is Apple, not Microsoft. There is almost no incentive for Google to block a weak competitor while allowing access to their strong competitor for the reason of undermining the competition. There should be other reasons why this is happening. Also, there is nothing wrong not to provide app to the Windows 8 platform while there market for that platform is too small. After all, Microsoft already has Office on their W8 platform so there should not be a real need for Google doc to be available. As for map, it runs just as well in desktop mode, for x86 W8 anyway.

Oh, refering desktop market as fading? 10 years later many people will still be using desktop. Current mobile platform is still not able to replace desktop completely and it is unlikely ARM can be scaled up too much without encountering the same power vs performance issue that Intel CPU has.

Status
Not open for further replies.