Microsoft Slings Mud at Google's New Policy with "Gmail Man"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hilarious, the "MS is just a hypocrit, they do it too" comments and completely ignoring that they just admited that they know they are spied on, but obviously don't care
Is Google reading my mail?

No, but automatic scanning and filtering technology is at the heart of Gmail. Gmail scans and processes all messages using fully automated systems in order to do useful and innovative stuff like filter spam, detect viruses and malware, show relevant ads, and develop and deliver new features across your Google experience. Priority Inbox, spell checking, forwarding, auto-responding, looking for the words bomb, allah, president before alerting the secret service, automatic saving and sorting, and converting URLs to clickable links are just a few of the many features that use this kind of automatic processing.
Fixed tha for ya!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the only profitable thing they can do is what they have been doing all along, scanning mail in order to show ads.

most likely what will happen will be that the gmail style ads may influence the google ads that you get on other sites that use google ads.

Other than that most likely the info that will be shared between services may be things like form data. like how when you make a gmail account, you automatically have a google docs, maps,unactivated shopping and unactivated youtube account. this may allow them to spread it to more services.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Google just told exactly what Microsoft was wanting them to do.I don't like MSFT's hypocrisy on the issue, but such campaigns can indeed alert people that their online privacy is not private at all.[/citation]

What hypocracy? The main point of the don't-trust-google ads, at least the gmail section, was that google scan ALL of your emails and use keywords found within to target ads at you. MS's mail services don't do this.

Google is trying to do the same as apple did with the 'other cell phones have attenuation problems too" FUD to take attention away from the fact that it was their stupid design problems (which they knew about prior) that made their jesus-phone far more suseptable to being 'held wrong' than any other company's handsets.

Google are trying to move the attention to non/barely-related stuff that their email scanning practices also involve rather than just fessing up and admitting that, yes, they do serve up ads based on your private correspondance.
That this scanning now takes place over EVERY google product should be a bit worrying to a lot of people.
Its on the record that MS only retains any user history data for 3 months, google keep it in perpetuity.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Athlon76[/nom]I don't care what Google does. NOTHING would make me switch to Office for email.[/citation]

Its ignorance without the bliss. I see people on twitter protesting about internet freedom etc but I mean.. When you dont give a flying fuck about the obvious harashment you are worth every bit of whats coming to you. Then again noone cared when Google were stealing over wifi and their cars of streetview their private data so why care now?

Its sad really. Then again you can stick with seeing it just the Gmal vs Office and stick with gmail!? bad days are coming im telling you >.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Nothing new IMO. Google has been data mining from the very start. The only thing I hope comes from all this new attention on the subject is that more people will be aware that there really is no such thing as true anonymity for 99% of internet users. (Yes, I'm putting the Tor and proxy users under the 1% category)

jojesa

Distinguished
I was concerned at first (I hate in your face pop-ups or flash ads) but I don't mind Gmail ads, if they appear on the side and does not interfere with the message. I got a couple of deals from those ads so they might come handy one day.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Gmail man got fired from gmail 2 month after, making him join up on a new prodgect under ground, he lost his mail name and instead renamed himself to Gman the end! or is it?

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]krowbar[/nom]So, since it's Google, people are ok with them scanning their emails?I really don't understand all this google 'love'.[/citation]
Google is android, YouTube, FaceBook and and much more. The next step for Google is to scan your phone calls for key words.............oh wait the Government already does that!

G

If you want email privacy, you can setup a Ubuntu server VM in Virtualbox at home and install the bog standard Linux mail stack, and connect via Thunderbird or setup something like Squirrelmail. You can then get a dynamic DNS like dyndns or no-ip, and host your very own personal mail server for you and your friends, for free, without anybody being able to scan your inbox.

Otherwise, you're somewhere between naive and delusional if you think any free email from a mega corporation will ever be truly private.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
wtf are Microsoft doing of late? It's like they are trying to drive people away or something. They are stupid because so many people are Google supporters so why chirp them. They need to stop talking crap and start focusing on moving their products forward.

Microsoft are running their business like presidential candidates run their campaigns by ripping off other people - it isn't working.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Sure it's only an algorithm reading your email... but for gods sakes people ... there is an algorithm reading your email!

Go threaten the president or have a back and forth with the wrong keywords implying terrorism activity and see if human eyes don't it your email asap.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]leakingpaint[/nom]wtf are Microsoft doing of late? It's like they are trying to drive people away or something. They are stupid because so many people are Google supporters so why chirp them. They need to stop talking crap and start focusing on moving their products forward.Microsoft are running their business like presidential candidates run their campaigns by ripping off other people - it isn't working.[/citation]

...says a guy who wasn't going to vote for MSFT anyway. Google has the corporate maturity of a little child. They keep setting themselves up for this.

I switched to bing a while back and couldn't be happier.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
how stupid is the author?
this was not made by Microsoft. It was made by:

Digital Inspiration Technology Blog
Digital Inspiration is an award-winning how-to tech blog around all things related to computer software, web applications, mobile and personal productivity

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
doh..
trying to edit my previous but I can't.
this video has been out for a while and Microsoft it not the original poster, they just reposted this video

Status
Not open for further replies.