Microsoft: Sorry, No Refunds For Minecraft Xbox Edition

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dribblesbarbax[/nom]My friend had to take back Dead Rising to the game store because the in-game text on his SDTV was incomprehensible. So I'd imagine it would be awful in 4-way split-screen for Minecraft where you rely on small icons for information.[/citation]

i have played a bit of minecraft... once you know what you are doing, the most of the game play can be done autopilot.

any with dead riseing, yea, back than i only had an sd tv to play it on, but lets be honest, that text that was unreadable was VERY poor game design as it stands, because even on hd, and i was useing a 36 inch at the time, and sitting far away, that text was still hard to read. that said, if you play around with an sd tvs sharp setting, you can set it to the point that the text is legible and you get a clearer picture... though its still hard to read.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]BTW, electronics appear to be on the cheaper side in the USA, the rest of the world has to pay a higher premium. For example, our 32" 720p LED-LCD TV cost us about $560 around December.So yeah, not that cheap for everyone to move on to full HD stuff.[/citation]

from my understanding that is because of many countries tax systems that things like that cost so much.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]kewlx25[/nom]You don't need to factor in the entire world, just the portion that can afford a $200 gaming console and $60 video games.[/citation]

um wehn your rebuttle is who doens't own an HDTV you do reread the quate i quoted.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Who even owns a non-hd tv now a days?[/citation]

What is non-HD? What cruel world would make that?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]A lot of people still don't, have HDTV's especially when you factor in the entire world. A lot of people are still happy with their CRT based TV's and don't feel the need to go out and buy an HDTV. Not to mention not everyone in the world can go out and afford a brand new HDTV either so they make do with what they have.[/citation]My last CRT supported 1080i and component input. It wasn't even an expensive TV. It also accepted and scaled 720p and below. I had an original Xbox and Dreamcast hooked up via component cables, at the time.

Point being, I don't care if it is a CRT or not. If your TV can't do better than 480, you probably shouldn't be rushing out to spend $20 on Minecraft. You should be doing everything you can to scratch up the coin to get a used TV set that can do at least 720p, and maybe a cheap 3rd party set of component cables. Or just play at a friend's house.

For that matter, half the people with this problem probably HAVE a TV that supports at least 720p. They either don't have the correct cables, or they just don't know any better and never set their resolution properly. I have personally seen it over and over. "Hey you know it would be a lot easier to read the text in this game if you used some better cables and changed settings to take advantage of your TV?"

That's why the newer consoles, when connected via HDMI, talk to the TV and set things up automatically, some people barely know how to turn it on.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Correction: The DC was hooked up via a VGA box to an adapter that spat out upscaled YPbPr, aka component. For the rare game that didn't support the VGA box, I had an S-video adapter, which was much better than composite but was still 480i.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Sorry, I have no choice but to file a class action lawsuit then. Let's see how Microsoft likes them apples if someone has the guts to say that to them.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Who even owns a non-hd tv now a days?[/citation]
[citation][nom]confish21[/nom]I feel their pain but even the local pawn shop doesn't even carry crt tvs...[/citation]

most peopel that are using CRT's haven't bought them in the alst few years , in other words , their crt's are tv's they have had for years. unfortunately lcd's and plasma tv's these days are being built to die after 3 years of use, and the manufatures make replacment parts cost an arm and a leg , not the case with old crt's back in the day companies actually planned on netting customers by building quality. today they just net sales via cheap crap that needs replacing , screw the customer the buck is what counts. can't say i blame the crt crowd. fortunately for me , i found a LG on clearance sale a year, mitsubishi and LG are two of the few companies that are still building stuff that last.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]You get what's coming and have no one to blame but yourself if you don't own a an HDTV by this point. If it ain't broke, why fix it? If everyone in the world followed that logic, we would still be using 5 pound "cell phones." Hell, we would still be riding on horse and buggy. Fail logic is fail.[/citation]

you must be areal deccent human being to meet offline. "You get what's coming and have no one to blame but yourself if you don't own a an HDTV by this point." classic line that just shows how stupid some rich folks can be. not every one in the world can afford to go out and buy a new television not every gamer has parent's that will go out and buy them a television.
as for teh other guys logic , it's more of a fail , to replace something that work ,it's also wasteful to our enviroment. comparing a TV to a cell phone is apple's and oranges. a tv is not a 5 lb wieght you have to hold up to your head nor is it a neccessity of communication in this age. for all intents and purposes a TV has now become more of a luxury item than a computer even. meaning it is an unecessary gadget into day's world (it has always been if you ask me). you don't get nourishment from it. you can get news off the web, or *gasp* by newspaper . and you won't shivel up and die with out one. there fore it is a luxury item , and a poor comparision with a phone. so yeah if you have an old tuber that has been going strong for 10+ years , where's the logic in replacing it and tossing it to the garbage ???

I didn;t go HDTV shopping till my old crt died on me, and even then I went with otu "tv" altogether for a year and half, watching movies on my computer (and tv shows on yahoo and msn). or occassionlly i even read a good book. even now that I have an HDTV i stil spend most my time at my computer , or doing other things

now for the academic argument of rather or not his logic failed

his logic goes this way

Premise: If the tv is not broken it deosn't need to be replaced

Statement: The tv is not broken

Conclusion: therefore, the tv does not need to be replaced

sound logic , no fallacy in it . you logic also is sound however , if you break it down . but that's not the point the point was you said his logic fails and it doesn't it's quite functional even at an academic level . look up a copy of "A Concise
Introduction to Logic" tenth edition byt Patrick J. Hurley and you'll see where youa re wrong regarding his logic.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]A lot of you guys are awfully critical of people with older technology.[/citation]

AMEN to this. people often forget that while it may be older it is also more reliable. i've never had a computer work as nicely and bug free as my old 486 i had. hell NASA still rockets dude into space on 60's tech computers. My grandma has a crt tv that has been working steady for 30 years , while i know friends with 2 year old HDTV's that are dying on them. i find the tom's hardware crowd to be quite ... assaulting on old tech users until it comes to a nostalgia article about old games or old tech. then they all sing differnt tunes regarding old tech. Hells i'm wishing i had an old 1998 based pc still becasue xp , nor windows 7 plays nicely with any of my old games from that era.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]These lesser-thans don't deserve refunds and need to get a tv set consistent with the century they are living in. Seriously, the seven people this affected need to just suck it up and upgrade their sets, or take the $20 dollar hit like a man and move on.Not that it matters; if they weren't bitching about this, they would definitely be bitching about something else, as poor people typically need a cause to attach themselves to, to feel like they matter or that anyone cares about them.[/citation]

GEEZUS, can you honestly consider yourself a deccent human being with all the drivvel you just spewed from your mouth ?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]13thmonkey[/nom]one line of text in the recommended specs saying offline multiplayer requires HD connectivity, problem solved, costs nothing, other than the admission that they did it wrong.[/citation]

i agree. If it's a requirement, then spell it out clearly and avoid pissing off loyal customers.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]yea really you can get a no name LCD HDTV for under 500 bucks now. there is no excuse for complaining about crap like this. those retards can have all the old tech they want but suing them just makes them look like stupid old men that should be in an old folks home. plus its MS what else would you expect from themFAIL all around[/citation]

I'd rather pick up a high resolution CRT than any other display tech monitor or TV. They'll last twenty to forty years and still look great, but most current LCDs, plasmas, and LEDs will last five years, if you're lucky. Am I a retard for not wanting an LCD HDTV?

Besides, like several other posts say, not everyone can get an HDTV, regardless of it's display technology.

M$ should have stated clearly that Minecraft required an HDTV if it requires an HDTV. M$ didn't, so buyers who don't have an HD resolution are pissed. This is M$'s fault and those people should get their money back.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]gsxrme[/nom]Anyone gaming on a XBOX360 with a old non 720P+ TV needs to be shanked, Money spent on games can easily pay for a TV, I see 42" HDTV at Walmart for $450 FFS!Some people are so... cheap they don't look at the big picture. lets blow $60 over and over again on games and not replace my 30 year old TV![/citation]

And then there are those that save their money for a while and get an xbox360, and once a month or less, run down to the used game store and pick up a 10 or 20 dollar game.

Why upgrade your tv when you're going to get shitty graphics either way? I'd rather get a $1000 PC.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
No Refunds For Minecrap! Way to go Microsoft =)
This is what you get when you by a crap game for a crap console!
All consoles are crap btw!

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]biggiebody[/nom]I think the better question is why even buy a 360 without having an HDTV, you're paying $200+ for a system that you can't even get the full benefits from. I mean a 32" 720 TV cost around $200, I bought my 32" 1080 for $280 last year. Not only that from what I see they're trying to play multilayer meaning they probably have more than 1 controller... spending money on everything but a TV.[/citation]

You're wondering by people don't have HDTV's, but you want to play an 8-bit game on one in the year 2012 ffs? Fools.... all of you.

apple_eater

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
[citation][nom]Integr8d[/nom]Agreed. I'm astounded by how many people here think CRT = standard def... My Sony 34XBR960 was a 200lbs, Super Fine Pitch CRT with industry leading black levels, HDMI input and would scale anything up to 1080i with amazement. Plasma didn't catch up, until the Pioneer Kuro Elites. LCD still sucks the wang in black points.My 30" Unity Motion CRT was spec'd by Joe Kane on the ATSC board. How many CRT's would drive all 13 formats of broadcast HDTV (including 720P)? One.Currently rocking a JVC RS25 onto a 110" screen. 50,000:1 native contrast at 14fL, dialed in with a Photo Research PR670... Lol Plasma, LCD. Noobs just don't know.[/citation]

yeah your right my 2048x1536 resolution crt is heaps better then my lcd i wish i could of got my hands on a 30inch crt

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]You're wondering by people don't have HDTV's, but you want to play an 8-bit game on one in the year 2012 ffs? Fools.... all of you.[/citation]

I don't know what you're trying to say, but I never said anything about minecraft or wondering why people don't buy HDTV's, I know a lot of people can't afford HDTV's but if you have enough money to buy a 360 + controllers + games, than i'm pretty sure you have enough money for a 32" or less HDTV. IMO buying something and not using it to it's full capabilities is wasting money. Kinda like buying a ferrari and only driving in the neighborhood because you don't want to spend money on gas.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
On one hand Microsoft is at fault for not being more specific on the requirements.
On the other, I find it difficult to feel sorry for anyone who buys an HD console expecting every feature to work with their SD TV. It's akin to buying a brand new computer and sticking with Windows XP, and complaining when you can't turn on tessellation.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Another thing, for the people making the point that older technology (ie CRT) is more reliable than new TVs and worth holding on to, they may very well be correct, but why go cross grain on that notion and buy an Xbox 360?
My Samsung DLP I bought in October of 2005 is still as crisp today as the day I bought it *knocks on wood*, and I haven't even needed to replace the bulb yet. How many launch model 360's are still going strong?

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'm with Vedz, this would be dually illegal in my country under false advertising and our basic refund policy. As it should be. The fact they are backing down when threatened with lawsuits shows they know they will probably lose.

If this is only a few people that need refunds then why is Microsoft making such a big deal about it and not giving the refund? Do they think this publicity is going to do them good?

If I was Mojang, i would be seriously reconsidering my association with Microsoft and their treatment of customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.