Microsoft Suing Motorola Over Android Features

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
^^ My thoughts exactly. Wtf does Motorola have to do with the Android operating system?

I'd be scared to take google to court as well. :) However if they have a clean case you'd think they'd go for the big bucks. They must not.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
nokz I doubt microsoft is going to turn around treat there suppliers like crap, hijack a free and secure OS to infect it with viruses, and rebrand it as one of there owns then charge you an arm and a leg for there "inovatiive" library that turns linux into OSX. I dont think MS will be ripping of open source for there new operationg system though.

I am curious about the case, i wonder if there suing becaus of the way motorola impliments these features?

sultansulan

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
An open letter to Microsoft. You have had a monopoly on the operating system almost as long as I lived. Now after many years, there suddenly appeared a competitor, then you become scared and try to sue to protect yourselves. What you do not realize is that you are hampering the development of IT.

I think a lot has tracked in that it has only been an operating system of choice. You have made money in abundance because of that you basically had a monopoly situation. I must say that Microsoft is so low that it makes me puke. Now take your senses and withdraw the lawsuit against Motorola and start competing on equal terms. If you do not, I hope many of us try to choose products other than from you.
This leads to more expensive and inferior products. It inhibits the development. And you might ask do you want openness and democracy?

I want it.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is why I hate Microsoft, and proves they really have not changed. Oh look, shiny new tech better than ours, let's sue it out of existence.

Any rumors on what Microsoft is really fishing for out of Motorola? Most likely a cross-license deal, curious what Motorola has Microsoft wants.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]amoghthegamer[/nom]MSFT is suing ONLY Motorola since Motorola's phones are adding features that no other Android phones have. JEEZ![/citation]

No, it's not feature envy... Take a look at who is making Microsoft phones for the new mobile OS they are launching soon. Is Motorola in that picture?

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]The patent system is patently broken with big companies patenting obvious ideas to prevent the competition product and others to patent an obvious idea to steal money from companies that actually make things. Two of the criteria for a patent to be awarded is that it should be a new idea and non obvious as far as I can see all of these patents fail the criteria.[/citation]
Only the specific method of accomplishing the idea is patentable. You are right in that anyone who ever used a smart phone for e-mail would think of the idea of having e-mail synchronized between all of the e-mail clients he uses. It is the specific method of performing the synchronization that is patentable, and then that method should not be obvious to a software engineer who works with e-mail systems and networking. For example, with modern IMAP4 protocol e-mail systems, synchronization is essentially built into the protocol, and it is a trivial matter of periodically checking the server for any changes. Any programmer writing an e-mail client would synchronize the client by periodically polling the server. So the method of periodically polling the server to keep the client in sync would not be a patentable synchronization method, but some other method of synchronization that is less obvious might be.

So it is not the generic idea of synchronizing e-mail that is patented, it is a specific method of synchronizing e-mail.

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
[citation]"We have a responsibility to our customers, partners, and shareholders to safeguard the billions of dollars we invest each year in bringing innovative software products and services to market,"[/citation]

I think that should be reworded to say something to the effect of "we have a responsibility to our consumers, etc.. to safeguard the billions of dollars we invest each year in stealing free (and proprietary!) ideas, implementing those ideas in buggy and over and over priced software, and bringing those products to market!"

Google (and Motorola) will prevail in the end. MS cant compete with Google the fair way (in the marketplace) so they have to try and take them down the slimy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.