Review Microsoft Surface Pro 9 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2022
I cannot agree with this review. The Surface pro 9 is the second iteration of the redesign they did in the pro 8 unless of course you count the X. I think it is a striking look. It gives up on the sides and then adds to the top and bottom.

When doing the Geekbench score you show single core at 1633 and the ipad at 1862 but seem to imply that is a large dropoff. Again, I am not seeing that as far away, and even the Surface matches the iPad in multi-core.

i get the detachable hybrid is not for everyone. This design will always have a floppy keyboard until they introduce a hard base again like the surface book.

So, let's recap: good batter life is not far away from the iPad, performance is not far from the iPad, and you get an all-in-one device. Sounds like a winner to me.

Reactions: Lonz

TheWerewolf

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
This is a surreal review.

First off, the Surface Pro line isn't a gaming device. It's a tablet. There's really only one gaming tablet out there - the ASUS Rog Flow Z13.

As for design - what, they're supposed to change something that works because reviewers get bored?How many versions of iPads and MacBooks has Apple cranked out and I rarely hear anyone say "damn, looks the same as last year's."

It has two THUNDERBOLT 4 ports. That makes it a tablet you can hang an eGPU on. And again tablet. No iPad has HDMI ports - heck, most have just one port and until recently, that wasn't even a USB port!

The display is calibrated and is aimed at artists. As an artist, it's excellent. I don't know what you're expecting but I find it hard to think it makes sense.

Sorry, this review feels like an Apple fan has been asked to review a non-Apple device, can't really find anything to complain about, so just writes an article filled with personal preferences.

roblittler77

Estimable
Aug 19, 2018
What a bizzare and unbalalanced review,

The reviewer spends more time complaining that the Surface Pro 9 isn't as good as the Ipad Pro than they do reveiwing the tablet. States that the Ipad Pro beats the Surface Pro in performance, when the Surface Pro actually showed higher multicore performance, which means it has more processing power.

Finally lambasts the Surface Pro's gamng performance because the Ipad Pro ran a mobile game smoothly while the Surface Pro struggled to run an AAA desktop PC game. How is this a like for like comarison?

Aug 20, 2023
As a long duration owner/user, I can tell some huge negatives that overshadow what a brilliant piece of technology it is. First, Camera doesn't have a slide cover (I know official response from MS is that it is hard wired to light up if it is used or misused or hacked, so can never be on without your knowledge. They are idiots. They solved the wrong problem completely forgetting the customer. It is not the hackers but the user itself that is an issue everyday. If you sign in to zoom with camera on as default or happen to touch camera unlock button by mistake, you know what I am talking about. It is a touch screen. Cameras can switch on inadvertently. A physical slide cover is 100% necessary. Enough said). This is the single biggest reason I went back to my Lenovo as the main daily machine. Second, it doesn't have a hard switch for Mute on the keyboard or main body. Why would you need it, you ask? Similar reason as failure risk of digital mute is high. Mute doesn't work in apps sometimes. I have seen it in zoom, teams, microphone apps, etc and the failure rate of software mute is not insignificant. Third, all peripherals are expensive. Currently writing from the official keyboard (and official pen which I have not used much to be honest. Touch works better than the pen on screen. Touching a hard pen seems dangerous even if it could be just a false perception). If pen is unnecessary, the official mouse is downright bad. I have Logitech MX master mouse that is like space age tech compared to the MS mouse that is hard on your wrist and needs hard clicks like on a dollar store mice . The only good feature is this mouse folds out to become 180 degree flat. If you want that feature for a really bad mouse, go ahead. Keyboard is pretty good and light and magnetically snaps on with ease and a satisfactory click. Really nice to use. Soft keys and zero problems. Happy to recommend the keyboard for daily use. Fourth, finally, this is a heavy machine. It is heavier than the mid-range Lenovo Thinkpad I have. Compared to the lightest Thinkpads or Dell or HP laptop, this is massive overweight really thick machine. (not sure about you but I don't like bulky machines. One feature I like in a cellphone or tablet or laptop/tablet dual use device like this is Superthin built. This lets you down badly. Overall, very nice machine with brilliant touchscreen but practically useless to me due to the lack of camera cover (as I wanted to ditch my desk laptop for this which I can't now. This just stays a travel machine now). I get by with sticky notes on the camera which is a real shame after how much I paid for it $3000+ Oh and did I say, if you plan to use it like a laptop I was in for a shock when I realized this doesn't stay open like a laptop on an actual lap (with the keyboard attached to it). The only real way to use it is either fixed on a desk or flat on your lap. You can't pick up and walk with it like an open laptop. If you pick up from the desk, it goes all floppy and keyboard goes in one direction and the screen in another. There , have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS