Microsoft Tells Shoppers to Get Kinect ASAP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jerrspud[/nom]well try and find one on Walmart.com or ToysRus.com.. they are sold out. Look at the prices on ebay and amazon...[/citation]
They are the MSRP!!! HOLY CRAP!!

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]You're right, it makes total sense to withhold inventory of an item that's selling like wildfire just so you can sell it on a different day a week later. You've got it all figured out.[/citation]
Yeah, I do have it figured out, thanks for agreeing with me. Because I totaly dont know why stores would want to bring in customers by saying "we have kinects in stock, when they are unavailible everywhere else" oh and while you here doing your X-mas shopping buy some more stuff. I really dont see why they would want to do that at all..... Hmmmmm..?

chud67bj

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I thought readers of Tom's Hardware would be smarter than this.
I work in sales for a manufacturer that sells product to retailers. The last last thing I want is to run out of stock. The last thing Microsoft wants is to not have stock on shelves during the Christmas season. That makes no sense at all. If you have no stock, guess what you cannot sell product. If you cannot sell product, you lose your job. Buzz is one thing, but having stock is WAY more important because stock creates profit, buzz does not give the company anything. The article clearly says several retailers indicate no stock. You think they are lying? Everyone wants you to buy product, nobody wants no stock if there is demand for it. Retailers demand stock from a manufacturer.

As a matter of fact, if retailers order product and I do not have stock guess what, the retailers will penalize the company. I am not saying this is what happens to Microsoft but retailers want stock in their stores. Retailers such as Walmart have much more power than 20 years ago.

- comparing sales of this to a franchise game is stupid. No need to explain this.
- Using M$ was old 10 years ago and shows you have no idea about companies - let it go. Surprise for you who have not taken marketing - every company in this world (yes even Apple), their sole purpose to exist is to make a profit. Period.
- As for Kinect being for casual gamer - that's the purpose of it - to get non gamers to buy the device, to expand their existing base from gamer to non gamer - that creates profits. You got to know that every company exist to make profits. I am a number in my company just like everybody who works for a living. Fact of life.
- Products are not created out of thin air, like some believe, a company cannot instantly create 10 million in a day. It's called a factory (most likely in China). There is only 24 hrs in a day. You can only make so much in a day, week, month.
- If you had Don Mattrick's job. What would you say/do? If you wanted to keep your job, then you say what he's saying right now.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
i have never understood why any company has to tell people to hurry and buy, because supplies are limited. regardless of the information being conveyed, they are going to sell out...if they are really low supply/high demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.