Microsoft Testing Kumo Search Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
ahh M$, gotta give these boys credit, they keep pushing.

""But rather incorporating Yahoo's search engine technology into the current Kuma engine, it's more than likely Microsoft is after Yahoo's 21 percent of the market instead.""

Indeed

Sushi Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Or will it crash and burn in a red ring of death like the Xbox 360 console?

Is this guy retarded? Since when did the 360 fail? It's doing better than the PS3 and holding it's ground against the wii......

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Wii, 47 Million consoles sold. XBox360, 28 million consoles sold. PS3, 20 million consoles sold.

I think Wii pretty much winds by a landslide in sales figures. I wonder if they will get more people using their search engine because of the new name. The reason why google is so popular is because its searches usually bring back the right links. Live searches usually bring up links that you wonder how they got there.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@the Wii comments:
Last time around, the Gamecube had lower sales figures than both its competitors, but still was considered successful by Nintendo, and turned a solid profit. Now, the Wii that's in first place is nothing more than a re-worked Gamecube with superior controller tech.

The lesson learned, is that 3rd place in the console wars, doesn't mean failure. It just means the company is getting a slightly smaller piece of the huge multi-billion dollar pie. I wouldn't call the 360 or even the PS3 a failure... especially since the PS3 helped Blu-ray win the format war.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
As far as Kumo goes... we'll see if it works when its released to the public. Marketing department razzle dazzle means nothing to me.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
The Anti-Microsoft attitude in this article is appalling. Would you rather we all were using Bank Street Writer and OS2? I remember the days before we had a dominant OS. I had a PC with Dr. Dos. It worked like a charm as long as I didn't try to work with any systems with other OS's or share files with anyone else. Everyone in your office had to have the same OS and same office software or it would require an IT department to convert all the data from Lotus to Corel.
Apple came out with the super drive. A 3.5 floppy disc that could write IBM disks. It didn't really catch on. You still needed to buy file conversion software suite and manually convert documents to use different applications.

Now we have the Internet. Its becoming less and less important what OS a computer is running. Files are just automatically converted to run on the local system behind the scenes. The Anti-Microsoft attitude is pointless. It's an artifact from the pre WWW times. The internet has made the dominant OS issue moot. It has made the brand of software we use moot. What OS am I using right now? Who Cares. What web browser am I using Right now? It doesn't matter.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I was so annoyed I forgot my point.

I hope this search engine works better then there current one.
Microsoft's current search engine sucks. If I need to find an MSDN page I'm better off going to google than trying to use the search box on Microsoft's site. There current search engine is worse than useless it wastes my time and I have complained many times.

I don't know why Google is so much better than every one else at search but it's painfully obvious that they are. I try Yahoo every 2 or 3 years and it never finds a thing.

Maybe we need to break the evil G$$gle monopoly.

G

I'm pretty satisfied about Google right now!
I see no reason why to change!
MSN sucks.
And Windows is the type of company that would not give you all results (they probably will block certain P2P and bittorrent related sites), so no thank you for me!

Google might be in power, but I can not say Google annoys me with too much spam, or no good searches!
The only thing I probably dislike about google is it's logo, but apart from that it's really the fastest and best searchengine I know!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Bad name again, OMG! You can say "google for x", but in the case of Kumo.com, how would you say "... for x"?[/citation]
you'd probably say "kumo x" rather than "kumo for x"

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
rather than semantic searching, they should offer something like thesaurus searching. Take your search words, see if they can match terms in a thesaurus (logically I would hope. I wouldn't want to see a search for "red ford truck" come up with "angry traversal exchange") and then search meta tags for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.