Microsoft to Add Google Into Motorola Lawsuit Over Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Microsoft makes $1 billion per year in royalties against manufacturer who make Android products claiming they violate their patents. These companies pay Microsoft and have not really challenged them other than Samsung. They have been doing this for several years.

Not sure why all the people who criticize Apple are not equally upset with Microsoft, considering Microsoft has taken more money since Android's inception than Apple has.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
So, you have two sets of data and the obvious thing to do is to cross it. Except someone was awarded a patent for the obvious thing to do, and now you owe them money.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Microsoft makes $1 billion per year in royalties against manufacturer who make Android products claiming they violate their patents. These companies pay Microsoft and have not really challenged them other than Samsung. They have been doing this for several years.Not sure why all the people who criticize Apple are not equally upset with Microsoft, considering Microsoft has taken more money since Android's inception than Apple has.[/citation]
Dude...if anyone pays royalties to any company, it is NOT because the VIOLATE any patent...royalties is the legal term for LEGALLY licensing the patented tech. So in short, if Google is paying royalties to MS for tech...it is legal and legit, not because Google is violating anything. And MS is not taking money...it is legit. I'm not a huge fan of patent wars, but I'd say MS is usually on the losing side of this crap because they are MS...like when they were court ordered to offer different Internet Browsers because it was some sort of Monopoly to include IE in Windows. Now tell me how is it not a Monopoly for Apple, or Google on their Phones, etc?

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Remember Bill Gate invested and revived Apple in the 90's. As soon as Apple IOS 6 removed google map, Microsoft sue Google and Motolora..., interesting....

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]twu[/nom]Remember Bill Gate invested and revived Apple in the 90's. As soon as Apple IOS 6 removed google map, Microsoft sue Google and Motolora..., interesting....[/citation]

Apple and Microsoft are buddies, they have have cross-licensing privledges (Microsoft). MS has pretty much free reign against Apple. This is why Windows Phone has basically nothing to worry about and may end up being the only real competition to Apple soon. Let's just hope MS makes some good products and that Win8 goes away fast and is replaced by Win9...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Apple and Microsoft are buddies, they have have cross-licensing privledges (Microsoft). MS has pretty much free reign against Apple. This is why Windows Phone has basically nothing to worry about and may end up being the only real competition to Apple soon. Let's just hope MS makes some good products and that Win8 goes away fast and is replaced by Win9...[/citation]A future where the choices are only Apple and Micro-apple doesn't appeal to me.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Lawyers get a hard on when they hear from Apple, Microsoft followed by words such as Samsung, Android, Patents. It's as thought Jenna Jameson personally calling and reading an erotic story.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]Dude...if anyone pays royalties to any company, it is NOT because the VIOLATE any patent...royalties is the legal term for LEGALLY licensing the patented tech. So in short, if Google is paying royalties to MS for tech...it is legal and legit, not because Google is violating anything. And MS is not taking money...it is legit. I'm not a huge fan of patent wars, but I'd say MS is usually on the losing side of this crap because they are MS...like when they were court ordered to offer different Internet Browsers because it was some sort of Monopoly to include IE in Windows. Now tell me how is it not a Monopoly for Apple, or Google on their Phones, etc?[/citation]

Ok, you apparently have not been following this for the past few years.

Let me break this down to you, Google and Motorala (Google owned now) are not paying for disputed patents that Microsoft is claiming regarding Android.

Other hardware manufacturers that are using Android as their OS have made agreements with Microsoft to AVOID litigation (they may or may not have a case, but they are not siding with Google and Motorolla on this) and pay Microsoft royalties on each device they sell with Android.

Again, Google and Motrola are in disagreement with Microsoft and are not paying the same royalties other manufacturers are.

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/7624.androidpatent.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/24/microsoft-getting-royalties-from-over-half-of-android-phone-sales-plus-an-interesting-android-licensing-infographic/

I may have said Samsung in my earlier post, should have put Motorola.

G

ejb222, do you realize what a royalty is? Yes, it is a form a licensing where one company allows another to use its product, or aspects of it. However, much of what you see lately of licensing is one comany going after another for "patent infringement" then forcing the them to pay a royalty or face legal action. Many of these get settled out of court in this fashion. And the company that threatened lawsuit now gets additional revenue from a company that didnt originally owe them a thing. Is this fair? Our patent system allows for purely intellectual patents which creates a vast imbalance in the system. The system has grown, but without proper controls being implemented, and thus our current state of affairs.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Arcanux[/nom]ejb222, do you realize what a royalty is? Yes, it is a form a licensing where one company allows another to use its product, or aspects of it. However, much of what you see lately of licensing is one comany going after another for "patent infringement" then forcing the them to pay a royalty or face legal action. Many of these get settled out of court in this fashion. And the company that threatened lawsuit now gets additional revenue from a company that didnt originally owe them a thing. Is this fair? Our patent system allows for purely intellectual patents which creates a vast imbalance in the system. The system has grown, but without proper controls being implemented, and thus our current state of affairs.[/citation]

Bang on, its the Patent office that is stifling innovation not promoting it by giving frivolous patents to these large firms. That then in turn have the monetary clout to bully smaller firms and competitors around. It's not really protecting innovation more protecting monopolies and oligopolies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
There's more lawsuit news now that there is actual tech news nowadays. Anyone studying law only need to hit up the hardware sites now to get the latest scopes on what's going on with the justice system. It's so sad.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It became necessary to add Google to this particular case because Motorola maintains that it lacks sufficient information about actions occurring on Google's servers
So really, Motorola are to blame for dragging Google into this
Technically speaking, the item that has not been licensed and Google are not paying royalties for could be something as small as the equivalent of a lighbulb filament and Google are utilising it to create the Christmas Tree lights outside the Trump Tower (example) so whilst Google maps may be a ubiquitous tool and reknown throughout the world, it would shine nearly as brightly if not for the tiny bit of Microsoft owned IP
If this were RAMBUS I would be the first to call patent-troll but Microsoft do have theor own actual products that are having marketshare impinged through Googles continued use. But here's the killer point, Microsoft have not sought and do not want to seek and injunction, the do not want Google products banned and their code stripped out, they just want what is rightly licensable so that everyone can have a share of the pie. That is the fundamental difference between Microsoft and Apple, Apple want everyone else dead. Microsoft just want you to pay fairly for what you use.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Microsoft makes $1 billion per year in royalties against manufacturer who make Android products claiming they violate their patents. These companies pay Microsoft and have not really challenged them other than Samsung. They have been doing this for several years.Not sure why all the people who criticize Apple are not equally upset with Microsoft, considering Microsoft has taken more money since Android's inception than Apple has.[/citation]

Droidsheep will not agree of course. Hard to acknowledge the truth. I just hope US tech companies can play well together instead of going to court to under cut each other which will stifle innovation. Though I will agree that if you do not play well with others then there is no other choice than to go to court.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

probably because apple took someone to court over a rounded rectangle.
microsoft, for all i think the patent is bs, at least has a legitimate patent, not some design patent .

Status
Not open for further replies.