Microsoft to Unveil Windows Phone 8 'Apollo' on June 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
It will be interesting to see what direction they take the Windows Phone OS in now.
I doubt they will abandon the Metro interface, but the ability to customize the OS a little further would be welcome.
Hopefully they also offer WP8 as an update to current WP7.5 phones as well...

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]It will be interesting to see what direction they take the Windows Phone OS in now.I doubt they will abandon the Metro interface, but the ability to customize the OS a little further would be welcome.Hopefully they also offer WP8 as an update to current WP7.5 phones as well...[/citation]

I wouldn't hold your breath for an update.The direction is heading the same way, as they're trying to bring desktop and mobile platforms to a uniform experience (unfortunately). In all honesty, Windows Phone 7 failed, and I kinda predict more to come with WP8.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I understand that they are all smitten with themselves over the OS, but don't thye understand the look of the phone is just as important. I mean the iphone hands down is the most gorgeous phone on the market. The Iphone 5 will be that much perttier. If MS would find a way to produce a phone as pretty a flagship, something they can stand behind, then windows will stand out. Even google introduced the android world by bringing out Nexus.

MS needs to stop thinking so much like a geek, and more like a consumer, that's what Jobs such a special visionary, I mean the guy despite always wearing a black polo everywhere had taste.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
And no Nokia's ugly axx Lumia is not it. The glass front and back of the iphone looks hot, copy, do whatever you need to , don't re-invent the wheel here. Hire a fashion house, something ... but isht get a really good looking phone out there, better looking than anyone elses, and add windows 8, and it will sell. It's real simple.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom] I mean the iphone hands down is the most gorgeous phone on the market. The Iphone 5 will be that much perttier. If MS would find a way to produce a phone as pretty a flagship, something they can stand behind, then windows will stand out. [/citation]
Though I agree that the iPhone is nice looking kit you sound foolish to assert that its the most gorgeous phone on the market without using the qualifier "to me". There is a market for the "geek" who wants the "geeky" phone just like there is a market for the customer who wants the simplicity of the iPhone (me). I, personally, won't even look towards a Windows phone anytime soon but some are greatly excited by it and I'm sure there will be attractive hardware to put it on.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]I just bought my Lumia 710.[/citation]
Yeah, me as well, which is why I am hoping for some WP8 love ^^

So far WP7.5 is an excellent OS, just wish I could have afforded a more premium handset.
Outside the spongy camera button there is nothing really wrong with the Lumia 710, but the oldschool plastic construction leaves something to be desired.
From what I have seen, the Lumia 900 is supposed to have an excellent body to go with the same internals as our phone :/

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Yeah, me as well, which is why I am hoping for some WP8 love ^^So far WP7.5 is an excellent OS, just wish I could have afforded a more premium handset.Outside the spongy camera button there is nothing really wrong with the Lumia 710, but the oldschool plastic construction leaves something to be desired.From what I have seen, the Lumia 900 is supposed to have an excellent body to go with the same internals as our phone[/citation]

AFAIK Nokia always cheaps out on hardware internals , so don't expect high end CPU etc there

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]AFAIK Nokia always cheaps out on hardware internals , so don't expect high end CPU etc there[/citation]
Actually, Microsoft is very restrictive on what hardware can be used in WP7 phones.
Currently there are only three combinations possible and used:

800MHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 w/ Adreno 200 graphics and 256MB RAM
1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon w/ Adreno 205 graphics and 512MB RAM
1.4GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon w/ Adreno 205 graphics and 512MB RAM

Outside of the Lumia 610, all current Nokia Windows phones use the top tier SOC.
Microsoft also keeps a pretty tight lockdown on all other components so, at a high level, there is very little fragmentation on any WP7 device.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
the iphone4 may look better than lumnia according to some, but try hammering in a nail with an iphone...then collect the pieces. (ref. recent video showing nokia doing this).
On a more useful note this is likely to mean the nokia will survive drops that would smash the iphone.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Indeed, There is very little room to manouver in windows 7.5 phones! That allso means that there is very little reason to upgrade mwindows 7.5 to mwin8, because they are made for guite different kind of hardware. Older 7.7 is for single core phones and new 8.0 is for multicore phones. I would not be surpriced if there will become new phones with single core that use older 7.5 version and those multicore phones are only that will get 8.0 version.
Much like now there comes to the market new single core phones with Android 3.6 and new multicore phones gets Andoid 4.0...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jldevoy[/nom]the iphone4 may look better than lumnia according to some, but try hammering in a nail with an iphone...then collect the pieces. (ref. recent video showing nokia doing this).On a more useful note this is likely to mean the nokia will survive drops that would smash the iphone.[/citation]
Might be true. ...but there's an awful lot of protective cases and covers for te iphone. You can add battery life or just make your iphone uniquely you with a nearly unmatched selection of peripherals. I know, not a noteworthy aspect to many, but one that obviously appeals to a lot of consumers.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]...the iphone hands down is the most gorgeous phone on the market...[/citation]
I would find it hard to see the UI on any phone if I had my lips pressed against Apple's butt at all times...

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]I just bought my Lumia 710.[/citation]
It has not been a secret that windows 8 phones where coming!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
What I want to see in Windows Phone 8:
- Tile rotation, to match how you are holding the phone (it looks better).
- Custom tile colors: The ability to CHOOSE the color of titles off the default color.

For example, my default color is blue... but my phone button is green.

These are features built into WP7Launcher for Android. It runs very good, I love it.
I hate the tiny buttons on Android and iPhone... the tiles are cleaner and easier to read and locate.

Status
Not open for further replies.